“Excellent Lunch on New year's day 2013” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1289 308827
Website
Improve this listing
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent Lunch on New year's day 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

4 of us went for lunch.Excellent food and friendly efficient service in a relaxed atmosphere.
Scallops with black pudding and pork belly were cooked to perfection and the cullen skink was delicious.
Goats cheese was beautifully presented and this and the salad were an excellent combination.
Onion soup was good as were the sausage stovies. Haggis was tasty but would have benefited from a gravy or sauce of some description.
No sauvignon blanc left but we had an excellent pinot grigio instead.
Coffee was really good and rounded things off nicely.
Would recommend and will definitely be back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
Wakefield
“Great restaurant and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Having walked the walls in icey winds and feeling particularly in need of a warm drink. 1Sallyport offered a lovely welcoming atmosphere. I had a latte and then looked at the lunch menu, settling on a double baked cheese souffle. The food was gorgeous and the chips chunky. A lovely glass of red and a few hours reading a book whiled away a lovely time in the warmth.

Later in the evening I returned to have a glass of single malt from the excellent selection.

“very quiet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Having walked around Berwick and found that very little was open on a Tuesday night in November we decided to try Sallyport as it was very close to our accommodation. It was empty and the staff were standing around chatting (later found this was the owners). The chatting carried on long after we arrived and I did rather feel as though we were intruding into a private party.

We ordered a twice cooked cheese souffle which was lovely and came with a very nice salad (my friend, who knows the business, reckoned the leaves were from a bought bag of salad). We didn't want wine and the water was expensive bottled water rather than a jug of tap water. it was a nice meal though expensive for what it was.

As other people have said, a large dog was roaming around whilst we ate. Neither of us are particular dog lovers and it left us alone. I can see this would put people off using a restaurant as it it not good for hygene.

The owner did talk with us later though we instigated the conversation. Certainly not the most friendly place I have been and we didn't go back on other nights.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Don't Expect A Smile”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We popped in here for lunch on a very wet day. The food was ok nothing spectacular but the staff seemed very hostile during our 30-45min visit I didn't see one member of staff crack a smile. It made the whole atmosphere very edgy
Not somewhere I would visit again in a hurry

Visited October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Rude rude rude!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently popped into Sallyport for a coffee with a friend. The owner was sitting chatting to someone as we came in. There were no other customers or staff around. My friend and I sat down near the owner and having decided on what we were going to have waited a few minutes before looking around trying to catch the eye of (a) the owner (b) any passing staff. At this point the owner got up out of her seat and said to the person accompanying her ' There are people in let's go and talk somewhere else.' She neither spoke to us or acknowledged us. At that point my friend and I decided to leave. I live locally, have travelled extensively and eat out frequently. However, Lizzie ,the owner of Sallyport wins top prize for rudeness. This was not my first experience of Sallyport (previous issues include poor service, high price and poor quality food) but it will certainly be my last.

Visited September 2012