“Not Terrible, But Not Brilliant - Could Do So Much Better.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed to your Saves list
Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed
North Road, Berwick upon Tweed TD15 1UQ, England   |
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Not Terrible, But Not Brilliant - Could Do So Much Better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed in this travelodge earlier in the month as it is quite well located for visiting my family.
we arrived quite late on the first night (9.30pm) and by the time we were served I felt like I had really put the lady out for deigning to check in. Not the best of starts.
We were in a back facing room, just past the reception. It seemed clean and I made the beds up for the two children.
We all went to bed after a long day's travel not really bothering to check out our surroundings.
In the morning, I used the bathroom and was quite disappointed to find the floor peeling away from the walls, mold on the shower curtain and around the bath and a broken tap.
I mentioned the broken tap to the receptionist later that day and all she could tell me was she was aware of it and the parts were on back order. I was loathed to ask if we could swap rooms, as one thing I really could say was that it had been very quiet in our room during the night (barring the water sounds emanating from the bathroom)
After a shower (not the best, no pressure at all, which seems to be the norm in Travelodges nowadays), I noticed that the bathroom mirror was completely steamed up ... it remained like that for at least an hour as the extractor fan was blocked and obviously not working!

The towels were changed everyday, however the beds were "made" (I used the term loosely as on a couple of the days it appeared that the duvets had just been thrown in the general direction of the beds while the staff had crossed their fingers and hoped for the best). One bin was emptied, one wasn't and on one of the days we were left with no toilet roll.

One of the members of staff was particularly helpful and chatty, she obviously enjoyed her job and had a smile on her face at all the right times.
The beds were OK, one pillow is never enough and I resent having to go and ask for more (please, sir!), but that I did, as we had no phone in our room to call reception anyway.

On the whole, due to the location and the price I guess we would use this hotel again, but only because of convenience for us, rather than the experience we had.
We paid £41/room/night.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel seem to be quieter than the front, due to the McDonalds in front of t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
County Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

As most of the reviewers have already said, it was cheap and simple - definately no luxuries here: one tiny bar of soap, two teabags, etc. But it was clean. The major problem was a group of boy racers revving their engines in the McDonald's car park late at night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wombwell, South Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lesson learnt, never use Travelodge's again it really isn't worth the money savings! Berwick brought black mould all around the bath and orange fungus up the wall tiles, the extractor was on constantly making the room like a fridge and keeping the person nearest to it awake.

The bed was something else,you can just about cope with the roll together sag in the middle but the mattress had a thin towelling and plastic loose sheet covering it which crinkled and rustled every time you moved never mind how uncomfortable it was!!
On the flip side other than fingernails on the floor the room was quite clean and reception staff cheery. I do not recommend this if you can avoid it.
What a shame Premier Inn have not got one nearby we would have moved.

Room Tip: Think before booking at all.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Berwick upon Tweed hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The main attraction is the price.
If you can dispense with some minor luxuries like heated towel rails, shower gel and an onsite eaterie then this will do.
MacDonalds is on hand if such a place rocks your boat, but other wise you have a walk or a short drive for a drink and a meal.
Staff were seldom seen but provided the minimum we required with a smile.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lancaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed here before and the experience was superb.

This time things had gone down. The car park was full of litter and various beverages spilled across parking spaces which meant sticky feet if you didn't watch where you parked. Even by the next day at midday this was not even swept or cleaned. The local youths seem to use the car park as a meeting place so there was an element of boy racing nearby.

In fairness the room was clean and the bed ok but the main bathroom light did not work. The tv flickered a lot at first but after about 10 minutes it was better but I suspect it is on its way out.

Everything is a little more tired than it was last time I came and many of the problems were only lack of attention to detail.

Breakfast at Morrisons across the road was excellent as I am sure is McDonalds but I did not go there - my wife has forbidden me 'Big Macs' owing to my already ample proportions.

I will however come back as it is a superb and convenient location and I suspect I caught everything at a bad time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear ReginaldS,

Thank you for your post.

It is always good to get positive feedback from our customers after they have stayed with us. We will make sure the hotel receive a copy of your compliment.

With regards to the concerns you’ve raised, your valuable comments will be used to support any improvements which may be required at this hotel.
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Nothing to complain about really. The beds are comfy, and it is the cleanest Travelodge i have Visited. Nice location for a nights rest. Near to a Mcdonalds and Morrisons and approx 3-5min drive to Berwick town Centre. Arrival welcoming was average. Overall a pleasant little travelodge which was very clean and tidy. A good Hotel for the price (When booked in advance)

Room Tip: Try and get a room at back just mcdonalds drive through can get busy especially sat nights with boy...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Good clean basic accomodation. Just what you expect from a Travelodge. Comfortable bed and very quiet room at rear of hotel.Good breakfast at adjacent Morrisons Supermarket cafe. Good value for money, will probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms at rear of building away from car park.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed? Share your experiences!