“Disappointing food” 3 of 5 stars

01289 309533
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Moroccan, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: El Taperio welcomes you to come and try our twist of spanish/ moroccan food. All freshly cooked and authentic, Head Chef & owner is from morocco and moved to spain at a young age to cook, hence the fusion of cuisines. Open daytimes for coffees, cakes and lunches & evenings for evening meal. Offering a range of Tapas, tagines, Paellas and other dishes typical of these 2 Beautiful countries.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I visited here over the Easter weekend and we were offered the only remaining table (this place is tiny). I was far too close to the lady on the table next to mine so I had to move half way round our table and sit in an akward position.
There was a basic menu and a specials menu. At least half of the specials were on the main menu anyway so I thought this was pretty pointless.
The food was poor quality and prices were high for what was on offer.
I had the steak, but everything on the plate was strongly flavoured with something else, e.g. carrots swamped in garlic, chips too satly to eat, rice with safron, a strange tasting peppercorn sauce. My boyfriend had the paella which he said was nice. We also had the mushrooms and prawns to start which were served in boiling hot olive oil but had very little taste.
Two starters, two mains, two soft drinks and a tea cost £60.
Will not be going back here!

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Scotland
“New name, same great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I dropped in for lunch on Saturday and decided on a Tapas mix consisting ot the trio of tapas from the board, plus prawns in garlic oil, olives and chips (OK, chips might not be considered tapas but when they are as good as these they are not to be missed) washed down with some of the excellent house rioja.
As on our previous visit the food was excellent, the service friendly and attentive and the atmosphere relaxed and very pleasant.
If your preference is for good food in a pleasant continental cafe style environment, El Taperio is well worth a visit.

• Visited April 2013
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
“Always a treat...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a welcomed piece of Spain right on the doorstep. I have visited this Cafe on many occasions, sometimes for coffee and cake and other times for a bite to eat.
Always a warm welcome from the staff and it always feels very relaxed, a bit like being on holiday with Spanish music, gentle lighting and beautiful aromas from the kitchen.
I popped in the other day for a coffee and ended up having a piece of home made cheese cake made by the owner Salina. I have to say it was to die for but i think it may turn in to a bit of a problem with me living so close!
i would recommend this place to anyone wanting to chill out with friends or a romantic meal, it just ticks all the boxes.

• Visited April 2013
Birmingham
“Another Fantastic Meal!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

What can i say another fab meal at El Taperio!! This place never dissapoints from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave you will have a lovely experiance! both me and my partner went for the prawns and mushrooms in garlic oil they are to die for then for main my partner had moroccan lamb casserole and i had the chicken in white wine both beautiful meals worth every penny! Staff very friendly and make u feel very comfortable and nothing is to much trouble lovely relaxed atmosphere as always :)

• Visited March 2013
Farnham
“Very tasty food, good vegetarian options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I happened upon this little restaurant and had a lovely lunch. Not a huge choice on the menu, but good veggie options and the food we ordered was delicious. I had the veggie paella and was not disappointed. The service was excellent, very welcoming and attentive but not OTT. We will be coming back and will try an evening dinner next time. Had thought we would be needing to go to Edinburgh for good restaurants but have been pleasantly surprised by what's on offer in Berwick. Just needs a good pizzeria now!

• Visited March 2013