“misrepresentative” 4 of 5 stars

1 Sallyport | Off Bridge Street, Berwick upon Tweed TD15 1EZ, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“misrepresentative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having just got back from Berwick Upon Tweed and staying at Sallyport we just wanted to redress the balance of reviews. We booked before looking on this site and may not have done so had we read the reviews. Thankfully this was not the case and we have had a wonderful weekend in accommodation that is not done justice by the photographs on the web site. The room was huge and so well decorated maintaining stylish touches yet feeling very informal allowing you to relax. An open fire and large seating area meant it was perfect to relax and you didn't feel like you had to get out for some space. Lizzie the owner was very welcoming without being overbearing like some smaller places can be.

All in all a fabulous stay.

Room Tip: LowBells is enourmous, bright and has a real fire.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My Partner and I stayed at this hidden gem for two nights over the Easter period, we generally do not write reviews, however after reading some of the recent reviews I thought it vital that the record be put straight re Sally Port, (in Our Opinion) When we arrived we were made so very welcome, our room was stunning with a proper burning coal fire, shower room etc was immaculate, we brought champagne which The owner was more than happy to chill for us, We asked re local restaurants and bars, we were given great advice to where to eat etc, Breakfast was excellent and even though we went down to eat an hour after the last order due to not putting our watch forward, we were still kindly greeted at the table. Quite simply outstanding and deserves the accolades that it has attained over the years. We would like to thank Elizabeth and Marley for a very relaxed and enjoyable weekend, we will most definitely be back. :) Jack & Alison (Edinburgh)

Room Tip: Room With Large Fire surround on first floor looking onto main street is stunning.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
widnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I started a new job in the area and wanted a hassle free long term stay which I got. The room was of a very high standard and the service was excellent. The room was cleaned regularly and the owner was very helpful and friendly. I had an extremley enjoyable stay and I would not hesitate in recommending 1 Sallyport to anyone either for a short stay or long stay.During my stay I was in all the rooms which are furnished and decorated to the highest standard, it is truly a boutique hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recently moved to Berwick and before finding a house I stayed at Sallyport for 1 month. I had a thoroughly pleasant time, no problem whatsoever. The owner was very helpful and friendly; Even though I had rented the room from her for the whole month(for a very reasonable price), she was nice enough to regularly clean the room and go out of her way to provide me with anything I may have needed for my stay. I am happy that I chose to stay at Sallyport and recommend this place to anyone that wishes to travel to Berwick.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have just read the terrible reviews and I feel really sad, but relieved that I can’t add to them.
We stayed here for one night and had no problems at all – the owner couldn’t have been more helpful, and the rooms were superb. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in in a hotel, and the linen, pillows and quilt were wonderful. Lots of lovely personal touches in the décor, like something out of a magazine, yet very warm and welcoming. And not to mention the terrific bath – my daughter was green with envy when I showed her a photo and told her about how deep and hot the water was!
I know there has been a change in the business, and this has meant that breakfast is taken in the owner’s own dining room, instead of the adjoining restaurant – so if you are expecting a clinical and featureless breakfast room think again. However, if you are content to sit in an interesting and welcoming family space, complete with dog, then this will suit you! The food is all of excellent quality, a full range of cereals, teas and coffees and a lovely hot breakfast cooked to order.
We had a lovely stay, and would definitely go back if we were up that neck of the woods again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Over the phone myself and the owner discussed the payment for one nights stay in cash, we agreed upon £90, which I found a reasonable price, but found it dodgy it was requested strictly in cash. Upon arrival I was greeted by a friendly member of staff, and was told they had no record of us booking, and they went off to find the owner. An elderly women, which seemingly was the owner, came through and denied all knowledge of us booking and demanded a higher price than we had previously settled upon. As we had travelled from Edinburgh and had nowhere else to go, we had to settle for her unreasonable demand as she was very unfriendly and became increasingly rude as I tried to get her to reason with me and my partner. Her mannerism made me and my partner feel very unwelcome and uncomfortable. We eventually got shown to our room, which had blatantly been left in the same used state as the last guests had left it, the standard was unacceptable. The bed was unmade, the sheets were dirty, and there were dog hairs covering the bed. Toothpaste was splattered on the sink, and there was not a clean towel to be found. We became increasingly disappointed as we explored the room, we managed to get a hold of the owner once again, we invited her to the room to see for herself what we were greeted with, she then went on to accuse us of making this mess, she declared that this was her home and she would not have us criticising the standards of her rooms, and that we could stay the night but stated that we wouldnt be welcome there again. The impression we got from this vile woman, was that she needs therapy to overcome her delusional state of mind, and also reccomend for her to take many courses on customer service skills, and working with the public, and perhaps this sad, bitter woman should consider retiring, because under her ownership I don't imagine that this establishment will be here this time next year. Very poor service, I wouldn't reccomend this hellhole to anyone whilst under her ownership, wouldn't wish the disgraceful treatment we received upon anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Berwick upon Tweed hotels

Edinburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

On a romantic trip, decided to book a room here and spoke to the owner directly to do so. Travelling from Edinburgh, I enquired about check-in times because of work commitments and was told we could check in at any time. Train was running late and finally got to Sallyport at 7:30pm. Was told we were too late for check in!!! The owner herself was adamant we weren't able to check in at this time! After walking away biting my tongue and shocked at her rudeness, found somewhere more worthy of our money and time and quite happy that my hard earned pennies weren't put into her hands. Also found it very strange that she had also requested straight up cash. Very dodgy!

Room Tip: Don't bother! Dodgy place.
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to 1 Sallyport? Share your experiences!