“No too shabby...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berwick upon Tweed
The Castle
You added The Castle to your Saves list
103 Castlegate, Berwick upon Tweed TD15 1LF, England   |
“No too shabby...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I had tried a few bed and breakfasts but alas, no room at the inn, which I found unusual on a Wednesday night, but went back up to the first digs I had seen when I had just arrived.
Staff were decent, room was large and clean and reasonably priced. It's just a shame I had to be out by 10 because the bed was comfy and I was shattered.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Firstly work should have booked me into the Castle Vale not The Castle but when I read reviews I didnt worry too much but my room is grim. Everything is well worn and its standard is much lower than a budget hotel. I am paying £49 and this place should be £22. On the up side the beer is cheap the staff are ok and you can park outside for free and town is only 3 min walk but couldnt find a nice pub, only blokey ones. Oh and right on street vorner so lots of traffic noise.

• Stayed August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had booked two rooms (for ourselves and children) and the week before had confirmed these for arrival from the 11:30 pm train, so were surprised to find the hotel/B+B was locked up tightly at 11:35 pm. After banging on the door a while we got in and noticed two signs: one indicating the phone was broken and the other saying “cash only – credit card machine broken”. Uh-oh; it’s not a good sign when they can’t manage their own payment.

Then it got interesting. They still had rooms reserved in our names, but there were already people in them. Apparently others had claimed them earlier that night, through either confusion or sneakiness. There were no other rooms available, and none to come by easily elsewhere in Berwick that night, so by about 1:00 AM they had started tossing out the interlopers…. and by 1:30 we had one room where they suggested we wait while they got the other room.
After a long while of loud noises and stomping around in the halls and doors closing, it went a bit quiet around 3 AM…but no one came back to show us the other room. Eventually it became obvious no one was *ever* coming back and there was not going to be another room for us. We managed to squeeze out enough room to “sleep” on the floor.

To have given away one of our reservations would seem unfortunate, but to have lost both rooms seems like carelessness. As a tip to management, almost every other hotel checks for identification at check-in, for this very reason. To have left us waiting for our other room and never coming back verges on unforgivable.

On telling management our story the next morning, they felt it was appropriate to charge us full price for the one room that we eventually did get, *but not charge us extra for the two of us sleeping on the floor* (!). We didn’t push it, because once a level of customer service gets sufficiently bad it starts getting funny again. (Two different staff members even managed to slip in some words to the effect of “Oh, were the people in your rooms Polish? We’ve been getting a lot of them around here” as if this explained things…. I’m of Polish heritage :) so it nicely completed the Fawlty experience.

The people were all nice enough as individuals, but this stay was the low point of 30 years of worldwide travel, and I’ve stayed in some pretty miserable dumps.

Overall Pros and Cons:
Pros: The hotel was at the address it said it was.
Cons: For us, literally everything else. Even if we didn’t have to sleep on the floor, the place is loud and rickety and showing its considerable age. It is entirely possible it might not be a well-run establishment.
If this place is your only option for a stop in Berwick, stay on the train and keep going anywhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

12 of us stayed here on our Berwick Golf Tour, for 3 days, we found this hotel Excellent, the rooms were spotless, and the breakfast was more than filling, the staff were extremely courteous and helpful, would recommend this hotel to any visiting party, G.Robson , Captain, Oakleaf Golf Club.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I only stayed for one night at the castle as I had some business to attend the following day in Berwick Upon Tweed. I found the hotel to be clean and tidy, there was a great choice for breakfast from cereal to a full English aswell as unlimited tea/coffe or fruit juice. The staff were very professional aswell as friendly and helpful, if I travel to Berwick Upon Tweed again I woud without question book in to this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

we needed a few days away to relax so we were invited by family to stay with them in scotland decided to stop in berwick for some refreshment and loved the town so decided to stay the night and having looked for somewhere to stay picked the castle helpful and friendly staff bedroom very clean and comfy food excellent would highly recommend we will be going again soon

Room Tip: our room was lovely and i would imagine all the rooms are the same
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was on my way back from Edinburgh after a week working away and I broke down on the a1 the rac man couldn't fix my car so I was towed to the kwik fit garage in Berwick and they recommended I stayed at the castle whilst they waited for the parts to fix my car the next day. The staff were very helpful in every way the room was clean and nice and I had a great meal and a few drinks in the bar and then a good nights sleep. I would recommend the castle anyday. Thanks

Room Tip: Room 10 was nice
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Castle? Share your experiences!