“Prestige Hotel in Alnwick ...... at last!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hog's Head Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alnwick
The Hog's Head Inn
You added The Hog's Head Inn to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hawfinch Drive, Alnwick NE66 2BF , England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Alnwick
Horncastle, United Kingdom
“Prestige Hotel in Alnwick ...... at last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I have visited Alnwick on a regular basis since the 1970's when I used to live in the town. The one thing is has lacked is a prestige hotel. The White Swan has been, in my opinion, consistently average and over priced for many years and The Oaks has been the only hotel in town worth using in recent years since the Hotspur Hotel closed. The Hogshead is a large well built new hotel on the outskirts of the town. On entering the hotel you walk into a large bar and dining area which is warm and welcoming. Considering it was December and driving rain outside it was a welcome oasis. The rooms are spacious, warm and the beds are comfortable. The room prices are reasonable. The hotel is spotless & well appointed:the staff very helpful. The menu in the restaurant is varied and caters for vegetarians and special dietary needs without advance notice: one of our party required a gluten free diet. The breakfast is better than most hotels I have used. We arrived with a party of 12 without booking for coffee and tea after a funeral and despite it being lunchtime and the restaurant being full of parties having Christmas lunch the staff moved tables around and politely accommodated us.
The only observation I would make is that the signage to the hotel is non-existent which could make it difficult to find for a visitor to the area?
It is not close to the town centre but there is a Sainsbury's and a lovely swimming pool nearby.
However it deserves the 5 stars I have given it and we would definitely use it again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thorb1976, Public Relations Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you so much for leaving such a cracking review - the only thing we would say is that believe it or not we are an inn as opposed to being a hotel. We are doing our best with the powers that be to get signs passed.... red tape and all that... Please do come and stay again soon. The five stars are massively appreciated. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I found it quite difficult to actually find this hotel, as it was dark when I arived and it's so new it didn't show up on my sat nav. The building itself if very new and the public area seemed very welcoming. My room was one of the nicest ones I have ever stayed in. It was a good size and the bed was really huge. There was plenty of tea/coffee etc (I hate it when hotels are mean with these) and a couple of packets of good quality biscuits. Shame there wasn't a bath, but the shower was good. Another small gripe is that the flat screen tv was at a right angle to the bed, so it was uncomfortable to sit in bed and watch the TV.

I thought the staff were very friendly and efficient. The meal I ordered came quite quickly, but it was only average. I'm a fairly light sleeper, however the noise from the A1, which is really close by didn't bother me. Mind you I had the window closed, it may have if I had it open.

All in all, not a bad stay. A lovely room, really nice buiding and friendly staff. Also, a very good price!! I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Selby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have stayed in Alnwick before in a different hotel which had resulted in my stay being a nightmare

I had driven past the Hogs Head hotel on several ocasions, whilst it was being built and afterwards and had comented that it looked very nice
On the website the pictures looked good and I was not disapointed when I arrived...
There was a warm and smiling welcome, a quick run through facilities etc and I was given my card key
On entering the hall way to the rooms, it was clean, beautifully decorated, with clear signs.
The rooms were spacious, well equiped, very clean and comfortable.

Although there was no telephone to reception, I felt that I could easily contact them as it was only a short walk down the hall
As a single lady traveling I felt that I was safe and at ease.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for an excellent review - and for your five stars. We hope you will return soon.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Called to try out for meal on way back from a couple of days on Northumberland Coast. Had seen it reviewed in Newcastle Journal and thought would see what it was like as relatively new. When arrived others were finishing meals/coffee etc., so we were only ones to serve. Had expected hotel restaurant service, but found it was the sort of family diner where you have to have your table number and order and pay in advance at bar.
Ordered main meal and drinks. I had a soft drink as driving & wife wanted decaf coffee with milk which seemed to initially be a problem 'as it is it of a machine'. Agreed to bring as requested after some thought. Could see from our table the waitress preparing (by machine) coffee & milk jug, then she moved away for about 10/15 mins until she obviously remembered & got another waitress to get another one out of the machine and deliver to table!
When main meals eventually came (cooked freshly to order please be patient) I had ordered chicken dianne with chips (instead of new potatoes) and vegetables. No chips but potatoes! 'Sorry will get in a couple of minutes'. Chips came in that time, but grossy overcooked and obviously not freshly done, but kept hot for some time. Chicken had obviously been cooked hours/days ago and warmed and had sauce poured over. Vegetables were undercooked and hard (would not describe as al dente). No-one ever asked us how our meal was, even though we were only people in there by then. Didn't leave a tip! Overall a depressing experience and will not try again. Would use the Cook & Barker down the road at Newton-on-the-Moor again in future - much better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oh what a shame - all we can do is hold our hands up and say we're sorry., We are a pub and offer pub food, which we've had good reviews for. Please come and give us another try?
Lancashire England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Having spotted the Hog's Head on a drive down from Scotland earlier in the year, I thought it looked worth trying, as the building is very nice and easily accessed from the A1.
The chance arose in October and we found the inn well appointed, nicely decorated and the room, was as requested, a quiet one.
Breakfast was a buffet style but with additional things to order if required .the do it yourself toaster seems painfully slow. the hotel was fairly quiet, given we were there in the school holidays, I would say they need more custom. Priced at not much more than a B & B they should be more full, but obviously need to build a reputation.
location is close enough for a short drive into town, it is not a walk I would try at night, in the dark.
the only things we lacked were a hairdryer and abilty to use the safe. someone had left it closed..also no 'in room' information other than fire escape route. no phone to reception. these things did not spoil our stay and we both felt we could recommend the place to friends. can't comment on the restaurant as we ate in town.
on the whole I think since it is new there is a certain feeling of newness, both the premises and the staff. things need tweaking and 'bedding in'.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper, maybe avoid rooms on the A1 side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for the review. Given that you stayed outside school holidays in November - a quiet time in Northumberland for even those most established businesses, it is unsurprising we weren't heaving when you chose to stay! We're not a hotel, so as such don;t have a phone in reception or in rooms, but of course if you were stuck in an emergency, please ask a member of staff if you need to make an emergency phone call. We're proud of our reputation and hope you return to enjoy it!
Newton Aycliffe, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed at this establishment while visiting my brother.The hotel is set right next to the A1 so it is not a problem to find and altho on the outskirts of Alnwick a taxi for 6 was a resonable £4.Theres ample free parking and the hotel /pub is brand new and finished to a very high standard and at £80 for a dbl rm (masses of space) with breakfast was great value for money and on a par with other accomodation in Alnwick and the staff and reception very helpful with that northern everyones a friend attitude.We had an evening meal but altho the chips were handmade the meal it self was a bit dissapointing! yet the breakfast was very good.
Would i go back ? definitiely mut would skip having a meal

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review! Hope you come back and stay again and enjoy a good meal - we get lots of ace food reviews!
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Staying in the area for the first time and only a 1/4 of a mile from the 'Hogs Head' it was the perfect venue for us to get a drink and meal after a day out exploring. Newly built with an olde worlde vibe it is a straight forward eating house. I can only comment on the bar/food service but a local B+B owner told me the rooms were good sized and well equipped ? Prices are on the high side for drinks and food is not 'bargain' prices but we noticed most places in the area were more expensive than we are used to in the Midlands so that may be the norm? The staff were excellent and most helpful. We reserved a table for two on a busy Saturday night and it had a reserved sign on it when we arrived as promised. We ordered the Stilton burger with chips and coleslaw (at around £9.00) and were very pleased with the presentation and individual pot of relish. For a no hassle place to eat, with good free parking and just out of town I would be happy to recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thorb1976, Guest Relations Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for the review and recommendation!

Been to The Hog's Head Inn? Share your experiences!