“Poor service wecks 60th” 2 of 5 stars

The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick
Bondgate Within, Alnwick NE66 1TD, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Alnwick
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Poor service wecks 60th”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Do not what ever you do book on line.
You pay up front then and after your stay you may not want to pay the full asking price.
Service was poor because you can not book dinner in the Olypic Dining room early in the evening as there are groups which take preference over Hotel Quests.
If you book a table in the Bistro you can not eat from the Dining room menu and the booking arrangements are unreliable as I found out.
The History of the place is interesting but the average quality is shot to hell by poor service, noisy rooms with thin walls and busy street with Traffic and shouting till late.
Some staff were very good but on the whole the place caters for groups putting couples low on the priority list. When our troubles were reported they tried to say we had not followed the correct formalities. Well you decide but remember not to pay up front as you will be sorry if you do.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us for your 60th Birthday celebrations. All guests who book on-line on the hotels website have a choice to pay in advance thus availing of a 5% discount or alternatively reserving a bedroom with no payment taken. We are truly sorry for your inability to dine early in our Olympic Suite, I have reiterated that all guests can avail of our main restaurant menu in Hardy’s Bistro to all my management team should such instances present in the future. Please do contact me directly at the hotel if I can be of any further assistance. Kind Regards Paul Smith – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Penrith, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Although at £150 a nite it was far more than i would usually pay but i thought that it would be a nice treat for my girlfriend and I to stay their for the night but sadly for both of us(and my pocket it wasnt). on entering the hotel I walked in on an argument between a manager and the reception staff which made me feel very aqward and after getting checked in I was given directions to the carpark which was full so we ended up having to pay in a carpark. when we enterd our room we were greeted with the horrible smell of cigerretes which the previous people had left on the window sill and the smell in the bathroom was even worse. I felt something had to be said so I headed to reception only to be told that the cleaning staff had not reported it and that nothing could be done, it was then I realised that this wasnt the hotel that I was hoping for. The room was nothing special and getting hold of an iron and board turned into a major ordeal, our nights sleep was very interupted by the noise off the street which is somthing I would warn anyone about before booking as the front of the hotel is v noisey, the breakfast also disapointed as the food was of poor quality, This is the first time I hav written a review about a hotel but I really wouldnt like anybody to be as disapointed as me and my girlfriend were needless to say I wouldnt advise staying there and we will definatly not be returning even if it had been half the price!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time and effort to record your thoughts regarding your stay with us at The White Swan Hotel. We are sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us, might I ask that you contact the hotel directly if I can be of any further assistance. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We got married at Alnwick Gardens on July 3rd 2010. My husband, his ushers and most of his friends all stayed at Blackmore's up the road (excellent), my family (15 rooms full) and I decided to stay at the white swan because of the location and size of the suites. Four bridesmaids need a large room....this was the only good thing about the white swan (Diane was amazing but unfortunately for us, only organised the bookings).
It all started badly when we were only offered 5% off for a group booking. We accepted it and moved on.
When we arrived, the reception staff were miserable and uninterested... The waiter (spiky hair) which served us afternoon lunch - great. Pity about the uncooked baguette and awful beef sandwich which followed. I didn't think it would be hard to cook a steak sandwich in an award winning hotel, I was wrong.

We asked for a number of tables to be set up for dinner on the Friday before the evening. A few more guests wanted to join us; this was too much trouble for the staff. They were miserable and clearly couldn't be bothered to help. We settled for another table being given to us - the other guests went up the road to Blackmore’s (excellent).

The meal can only be described as 100% dire. My Pollock looked like it was half cooked. I sent it back. My Mum ate half of hers and regretted it. The other 12 diners had a very bad meal. A number of them were very ill the next day (our wedding day) and had to drink only water to get over their awful stomach aches. We complained and they took the food off the final bill.

The same story at breakfast. The hot plate is a disgrace. The sausages looked like they were from a tin, the mushrooms had been cooked forever and the beans, toms, eggs etc were all sitting miserably under a hot plate which wouldn't look out of place in a Premier Inn.

Our room was noisy, the tap dripped constantly and the toilet kept on flushing….the bed was really uncomfortable too.

We expected so much more from the White Swan. It could be such a great hotel, but the staff, quality of food and general atmosphere lets it down badly.
We attempted to complain when we settled our bill like many of our family and friends. Paul (Manager) attempted to tell us that everyone in our wedding party had a great time and nobody complained. This was a lie....we knew of at least 6 of our guests who complained. Our family and friends left feeling disgruntled and disappointed with what can only be described as poor customer service.
We won't ever be returning - and I would advise anyone reading this to stay at
Blackmore’s or Holly Lodge which were absolutely fab with our families and friends

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear Natalie,
Thank you for your comprehensive review, we are sorry that our efforts prior to your arrival to the property and subsequent attempts to contact you post your departure has not on this occasion resulted in pleasant stay with ourselves. All guests did feedback positively to our reception team however; it was noted by some management of the hotel that this trend decisively changed strangely once we spoke on the morning of your departure. We have on record excellent comments from some of your guests who we communicated with extensively post departure regarding lost property which they left behind and can confirm we were successful in reuniting them with same. Suffice we endeavour to meet all guest expectations however on this occasion we did not meet your personal expectations. Should you wish to discuss this or any matter further please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

The hotel is perfectly located steps from Alnwick castle. The room was small but clean and had everything you needed including WIFI. The staff was incredibly helpful, carrying bags to the room etc. There is no lift and the room was not 100% sound proof but other than that we were very happy with our stay there.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure that all the team are aware of your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The White Swan Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Westbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

We had a small but clean room in the main part of the hotel. We found the staff friendly & helpful. Breakfasts were fine with a good range of hot & cold foods. Even as a non-meat eater I could enjoy a cooked breakfast. Both the bistro and Olympic restaurant offered a wide choice.
Yes the carpark was small and we rarely got a place in it but what do you expect from a 300 year old coaching inn! Anyway the public carpark behind was free to park in from 6pm- 8am.
We found this a good base to explore this part of Northumberland.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We take all feedback from our guests exceptionally serious so that we can improve and better our service. We are pleased that you felt the overall experience to be very good, and have discussed your comments with the management team. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Stoke-on-Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Me and my partner came up to Alwick after visiting Hadrians Wall for a couple of days and this Hotel was recommended to us by friends as to be a good base to see Alwick Castle and Gardens, especially due to being able to get the tickets with the room.

The hotel was nice a seemed quite grand from the outside, the rooms were okay clean and modern, though the cleaning service wasn't the best, twice at breakfast I found glasses with lipstick still on them, and the glasses in the room looked like they hadn't been cleaned. Plus the duvet didn't fit the duvet cover

The Olymipic room where we have breakfast was nice (A copy of the dining room in the titanic) The the breakfast was a Buffet type and was sat under heat lamps. Also the didn't seem enough parking spaces for the hotel and was very cramped

It was a okay hotel for the price and was in walking distance of Alnwick Castle

Kidderminster, Worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We travelled here on a package holiday, but this made no difference to the high quality of service we received throughout our stay. Mangers, receptionists and waiting staff were all efficient and friendly. We also had a good choice of evening meals and these were well cooked and enjoyable. Breakfast was also perfectly acceptable.

We had asked in advance for a quiet room and had a lovely room facing the back. We slept really well and cannot fault the room we were given. Overall this was a most enjoyable stay in a lovely town. Thanks to everyone at The White Swan for making our short stay so successful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Thank you so much for your lovely comments, we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope that you will come back again. Kind Regards, Paul Smith - General Manager

Been to The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick? Share your experiences!