“Wonderful holiday, great views, excellent facilities and wonderful owners” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Village Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alnwick
Village Farm
Shilbottle, Alnwick NE66 2HG , England   |
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday, great views, excellent facilities and wonderful owners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed for a week with my partner and 2yr old son in Murrayfield.
Basic property overview:
The bungalow has two bedrooms, one twin and one double. The twin has beds that can be pushed together, an en-suite bath with no shower (but does provide a hose you can use to wash hair with) sink and toilet and the double has an en-suite shower room with toilet and sink.
There is a good sized cosy lounge, a well stocked kitchen/ dining room, utility room and a conservatory with stunning views across countryside. My son loved that he could see cows and sheep right out the back of the properties large garden.

Just across the road from the bungalow is a gate that leads straight onto the gardens, tennis courts and then the play area, games room (which my son loved) and the swimming pool, fabulous spa and gym facilities (which I loved)

The location is ideal for exploring the stunning Northumbrian countryside. I found that the spa facilities were open late so I could go and enjoy a bit of “me time” whilst my son was in bed. My partner would take our son to the games room and play area so I could cook our dinner which worked out really well for us.

Check in was really efficient, we had a lovely surprise of a welcome pack including a very nice bottle of red wine from their own vineyard in France.
I found the owners to be fantastically helpful and on the ball. If you have any queries I would strongly recommend contacting them and not just leaving it and worrying. They were very quick to sort out what we needed and not at all intrusive.

Quick tips:

Take a torch, it was really helpful for walking across the gardens back to the gate from the spa after dark.

Take salt and pepper as this is not provided

Take your own beach / spa towels

I would add some hangers to your luggage if your like me and always over pack

There is plenty of dish washer tablets and laundry powder provided so no need to bring your own.

Talk to the owners about what size cot bedding to bring, ours was too small, but again it was fixed with amazing efficiency.

You can arrange for groceries to be delivered to the cottage before your arrival (I was not very happy with the service that Food Glorious Food provided as the milk was out of date when we got it and the soft fruit ruined. I admit that I didn’t contact them to complain and therefore give them a chance to put it right, but in all honesty we were so busy each day I just didn’t have chance. Its worth talking to the owners about what groceries can be delivered. There is however a local shop that opens late and provides a good range of basic food stuffs. In Alnwick itself there is a number of really good deli’s and supermarkets.

We will certainly hope to return next year, much more exploring to do and I would like more time in the spa!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Yorkshire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked the farmhouse as a last minute holiday. The owners were kind enough to let us have the farmhouse for four nights instead of the usual seven nights. The accommodation was fabulous and the location was excellent. My teenage boys especially enjoyed the health club and the football field. We would definitely recommend the cottages to others and are looking forward to returning soon.

Gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed in Keilder Chalet on our first family visit to Northumberland. We were welcomed on arrival and personally shown around the chalet and site.The chalet was spotless and well equiped. The children made use of the pool and games room everyday and we were able to enjoy the spa facilities and well equiped gym. Our youngest daughter really enjoyed her first riding lesson at Town Foot Farm. Village Farm is in a great location with so many fantastic places to visit, very close by. The highlights of our week have to be the broomstick flying lesson at Alnwick Castle and a childrens cookery class at Alnwick Gardens.
Would highly recommend.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed with our dog Sally's flat in May for a relaxing week during half term - we're both teachers so wanted somewhere relatively quiet and out of our catchment without too long a drive. I must admit I was sceptical; shilbottle is renowned more for it's sign graffiti than holidays! We both know Northumberland relatively well so were happy to see how it faired but not expecting too much for our cheap break. We were helpfully guided to sallys flat by Chris and I must admit I was a little unsure about the flat bettor entry. You have to walk through the utility of the farmhouse to get to a steep set of stairs and then into the flat. Once in I was amazed! It was a tardis, bags of space and lovely furbishings. It overlooks the riding stables so our dog was thoroughly entertained! Everything had been thought of; dishwasher tablets and washing powder, even rubber gloves and a tea cosy! Place was old but clean and we loved it, excellent service and a really laid back feel. Healthclub was great, really helpful staff and brilliant facilities. We have only been disappointed by our local bannatynes gym since! We were so impressed by our last visit we've booked again!
Northumberland is beautiful and this location ideal to see all the best bits. Can't recommend highly enough!

• Stayed May 2013
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My son and I stayed in Melrose Cottage for a week in Mid August this year (2013) and could have wished for more. The cottage is comfortable (if a little dated in its décor) but has everything you could want and the wine, sweets and cake on arrival was a nice touch. Views to the west over Alnwick and east to the coast are stunning and the regular trundling by of horses from the riding school a welcome distraction. The cottage is about a 15 minute stroll from the Spa wher you'll find everything for a sporty packed holiday. I didn't use the spa and gym itself as my sopn is only 12 and therefore not old enough to use the equipment but the swimming pool is warm and clean and the games room well equipped with table tennis, pool table, air hockey and table football. There a tennis court and a well-manicured field with 5 a-side goats and croquet set. There's even a cricket net and golf driving net to cater for all.
Its a shame there's no where to eat out in the village. The takeaway is just being done up and the Bengal Cottage Indian Restaurant, whilst very nice inside, served probably the worst Indian meal I've had for several years. However, Alnwick is only 1.5 miles away and there's plenty of places to eat there (and a lovely café by day / Indian by night restaurant in the middle which was as good as the Bengal was bad.
Don't miss Alnwick Garden and Castle and Lindisfarne - beautiful in their own right (although we were disappointed that the Treehouse was fully booked.
Whether you're looking for a relaxing week away in a quiet countryside location or a family holiday with lots for the kids to see and do, this is the place.

NB: I've ticked "Excellent" against room service as although this was a self-catering cottage and room service not available or relevant, both the owners dropped by at varying times just to make sure everything was ok and we had everything we needed - great service.

Room Tip: Melrose is quiet and a 15 minute walk from the main part of the "complex". If you want yo...
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had a week at village farm in Kielder chalet. It was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. This was like a home from home. We had a welcome gift of a cake, sweets and bottle of wine on arrival. The pool and leisure facilities are excellent which we used every day. We also used the games room every night which the boys (12 and 16) really enjoyed. We had mainly good weather and visited plenty of castles, stately homes and gardens which were all reached in under an hour. We also had a walk out on the horses at the stables. We still had lots of places to visit but ran out of time. We had a fab holiday and will be returning without hesitation, what a brilliant well kept and well run holiday village.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks holiday at village farm. It was a fantastic place for large familys, because there were 18 of us we decided to book 3 of the Chalets and we were not disappointed The leisure facility's were great , Swimming, Gym, Jacuzzi steam room and sauna to mention but a few of the luxury to be found here.
This place is an excellent base to explore the Northumbria coastline
We hope to return again as there are very few places that could cater for such a large family..

Room Tip: The Cedar chalet is great if you have young children as it overlooks the games area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Village Farm? Share your experiences!