“Stay in a B&B instead.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Plough

You added The Plough to your Saves list
The Plough
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   24 Bondgate Without, Alnwick NE66 1PN, England (Formerly Blackmore's of Alnwick)   |
Ranked #46 of 70 Alnwick B&B and Inns
San Jose, CA
“Stay in a B&B instead.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I've been to Alnwick many times and always stayed in the same wonderful place, Greycroft B&B, but I wanted to try something different this time. SoI settled for one of the two largest hotels in the town, Blackmore's. I was disappointed right away since they lost my reservation and didn't have any internet (even thought their website said otherwise) so that I could get my email confirmation off my phone. They did get me a room anyway since there was only one other person staying the night, they had plenty. The room was odd, cold, a very high bed for no reason, and unclean. The wood trimmings looked dirty and full of grime. The bathroom was just as cold and unkempt. Very sparse and unwelcoming. I am having my wedding in Alnwick and will make sure my guests steer clear from here and stay in B&B's instead.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Alnwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Went for a meal on a friday night and it was completely empty and this was 8 o clock.
I had a venison starter and whilst the venison seemed fine the leaves that were served with it were bordering on dead, my partner had twice baked soufle which was more like a pancake. For mains I had tenderloin of pork wrapped in parma ham which was dry and tough, my partner had chicken in breadcrumbs which she described as tasteless. There was no music playing and me and my partner felt like we had to be quiet because it was that empty and didnt want the waiters to be listening in on our conversation. All this for £53. Worst meal I have ever had.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Having recently spent the night here i found myself thinking if i had ever stayed in a worse place in my life, and the answer is NO. The rooms are no where near what they look like on the website and i agree with all the other negative comments about the bathrooms, they smell disgusting from the saniflo systems they have in place i cant understand why they keep the sytems in place when the rooms smell so bad of foul waste. When i mentioned this to one of the staff in the bar they just shrugged there shoulders and didn't seem to care about my complaint. Whilst at thebar i tried one of the real ales which i returned immediately as it tasted disgusting i opted for what i thought was a safe option of lager which i have to say was only just drinkable and felt sick afterwards. This put me off having my evening meal there and found a little italians just down the road and the food there was beautiful. At breakfast i was releaved i did go to the italians as my fears were confirmed when the full english breakfast was slammed down in front of me by the waitress, it was tasteless and rubbery and i could tell everything had been pre cooked days earlier and reheated in a microwave. After complaining about my whole stay on departure there was again a shrug of the shoulders by the member of staff and my bill was put in front of me with no chance of a discount.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

very good hotel in Alnwick
excellant dining and very friendly bar
Owner is very knowledgeable about local trips, history

Room Tip: Very friendly service , local area is steeped in history beautiful countryside
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My wife and I visited the completely refurbished location that was the old Plough Inn situated in Bondgate Without in Alnwick. What was an old somewhat run-down pub has been transformed into a brand new hotel, restaurant, bar and function suite. Any resemblance to the former occupants of this site are strictly non-existant!
We partook of lunch on a Saturday at about 1 pm. We were among but a half dozen other guests that day and were served by two young ladies who seemed to double their duties by attending the hotel reception and taking/serving lunch orders.The lunch menu is quite extensive and appears to be "cooked to order" which means that one has to be patient before ones meal is on the table. However the wait is justified as the meals are quite excellent and the service good. Meal prices are good value too but alcohol somewhat pricey - John Smith bitter £3 a pint (!) and the cheapest wine £14 - London prices nearly rather than usual local costs. Tea and coffee are however reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Brand new accommodation as per hotel brochure but not visited on this occasion
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My Wife and I love going for the occasional day trip and Alnwick is one of our favourite towns to visit. This is the first time we have tried Blackmore's and what a pleasant surprise it was. The bar and restaurant are very close to each other in very pleasant surroundings. Unusual to have such a relaxed atmosphere. The staff were without exception very attentive and the food was well presented and very tasty. Blackmore's is situated in the centre of town not far from parking facilities and is well worth a visit. We will be back !

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I first read about this hotel in September and booked a two night break (31 Dec to 2 Jan) for family and friends, but later was a little concerned after reading some of the negative reviews. However we have had a very memorable stay over the new year's weekend.

We had rooms 2, 3, 4 & 5 and all of us were very impressed with the cleanliness and style of the rooms. I was staying in Room 2 but never noticed any unpleasant smells from the bathroom!! When the loo was flushed there was a bit of noise, but this didn't bother us at all. The staff did say they were experiencing problems with the Saniflow system, so we were aware.

The rooms were very spacious, warm and comfortable, there was always plenty hot water and the beds had mattress toppers, which made for a comfortable night's sleep.

We didn't have a problem with noise from the street - our room was over the main entrance and even though it was New Year's Eve, we were not disturbed.

With regard to food, we had the New Year's Eve dinner of 5 courses + coffee which was exceptional and very efficiently served. We also had dinner the following night and none of us had any complaints about our meal. Breakfasts were lovely, with plenty of choice, whether you wanted full English, kippers, smoked salmon or continental style.

It is a beautifully furnished hotel, very modern furnishings and the restaurant on New Year's eve was stunning (all black & gold).

However, I've left the best bit until last - the staff are what made our stay so memorable. They were absolutely brilliant each and everyone. We couldn't fault our stay at the hotel and have in fact just booked up again for next New Year's Eve!!

We have been enjoying New Year's breaks for more than 20 years and can say in all honesty this has been our best experience yet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Plough? Share your experiences!