“Value for Money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Weedon
New Mills, United Kingdom
“Value for Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I wanted to check in early so had a twin room rather than a requested double. It was large & clean but noisy from traffic as overlooking the road. Breakfast was cooked perfectly to my requirements and the staff were helpful and friendly. The Inn itself was a little "tired" looking but overall it was value for money.

• Stayed August 2013

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
northumberland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed for an overnight stay on route to Winchester. We were really surprised at how good it was for the price we paid. £55.00 for B and B.
The garden area is really lovely with fabulous seating area and a lovely walk beside the Canal.
We were surprised at the choice of food available. The specials menu on the black board was just amazing. So much choice. The food was cooked wonderfully and tasted superb.

The staff were very friendly and even helped us with directions the following day to our next venue.
When I booked this hotel I was given an option for 20% discount off food and a free first drink.
What value. We were also offered 2 for l price meals as well as the 20% off. Not sure how they do that!
Oh and the Breakfast was also fantastic along with the friendly breakfast waitress.
Without doubt we would go back if in that area.
Keep up the good work Heart of England.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
M_Rook, Manager at Heart of England Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank-you you so much for taking the time review The Heart of England. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and up look forward to seeing you again, extra brownie points for me as I cooked breakfast during your visit. Thank-you again for your comments
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

After a drive around the countryside and a walk around nearby Salcey Forest my husband and I got a little peckish. We stopped here as the 2for1 offer was luring us.
We parked up the car and walked in and was offered a lovely greeting at the bar. We ordered a pint and a large glass of wine-they don't do house wine so I asked what they recommended (spurred on by a sign on the wall that stated "if you don't know what wine to have ask our staff for recommendations"); I chose a Pinot Grigio.
We were told the procedure of ordering as I had asked how it worked and if dining inside someone would take our order but if dining in the garden we would need to order inside and pay as when ordering. We sat inside, had table service and paid for food at the end.

We looked at the menu and the 2 Sunday roasts and 2 desserts for £15 caught out eye (considering one roast is £12.95 on its own and many desserts between £3/4 and £5) we thought this to be a very good deal indeed.
My only complaint was that as we ordered at 2pm there was only a choice of either roast pork or gammon to have. The other meats had sold out. Although towards the end of finishing our meal the table next to us who cane in 15 or so minutes after us were given a choice of chicken or gammon as the other meats had sold out. I found this odd and although didn't pursue the reasoning why felt as though another chicken was being cooked just As they were running out.

We waited for almost 30minutes for food and apologies from waitress for our wait when we received it. Restaurant was neither empty nor full but a lot of tables had a number of people on them.
What caught my eye as well was the specials board... Could easily have been 20-30 specials on it. Also there were signs around the restaurant with recommendations from the staff e.g. "Georgia recommends the carrot cake" and "Racheal recommends the red velvet cheesecake". I thought this was a lovely touch, haven't seen this anywhere before.

Our roast pork and roast gammon arrived and was well presented. There was a huge yorkie pud and a stuffing ball, along with carrots, peas and green beans. We also had new potatoes and roast potatoes. You could easily tell they were frozen roasties but they were still quite tasty.
We devoured the meal which was lovely and moved on to our desserts. My husband ordered the Red Velvet Cheesecake and I ordered the Crunchy Caramel Sundae. Both desserts were very tasty and we finished every bit if them.

Considering the price it should have cost I was very pleased that it came to £15!! If in the area driving past again we shall certainly stop off here.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Though old-fashioned, the restaurant is light and spacious and service was very quick. A large menu board offers around 30 specials, in addition to the regular menu, with many quite exotic dishes. We ordered the chicken and prawn laksa, a main course crab cake salad and an 'all day breakfast'. The laksa was light, fresh and fragrant, and the crab cakes were described as good, but my companion had to ask for some salad dressing. With the usual 2 for the price of 1 deal this pub offers, it is terrific value and with the menu changing constantly we can try something different each time. The cooking and service has improved dramatically since early this year, hats off to the management.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My 2 daughters and I stayed for 2 nights for the British Grand Prix, which was only a 20 minute drive and easy to find. The single rooms we had were very comfortable and spotlessly clean. We are vegetarians and the breakfast was good. Also choice of evening meals was excellent and good value. We are staying again next year and for three nights next time

Sandie C

Room Tip: Room no 1 has a large bathroom (with bath and shower) and it was very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank-you you so much for taking the time review The Heart of England. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and up look forward to seeing you again next year.
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Have just stayed here for the night after driving my daughter to Leeds from home on the south coast. As the hottest day of the year was forecast, I thought I'd take a leisurely drive back, stopping overnight roughly half way. I'd looked at numerous hotels before I booked this one - my usual Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn etc, but remember someone recommending Marstons inns. Liked the look of this one, but was a bit worried about the price (so reasonable!) after I'd booked it (around 12:45am the day of the booking!). Go there - it's the most fabulous value for money. I was so pleased, especially after a 5 hour drive to Leeds on the hottest day of the year and the aircon in my car decided not to work. Checked in around 6.50pm by Adam, a really helpful chap. My room, No 14, was one of their "outside" rooms - one of two rooms in a converted outbuilding. Perfect - thick stone walls which kept it cooler given the 28degree temps all day. I'd pushed the boat out and booked a double room and it was lovely. Reasonable sized room, nice decor, little small shower room but perfectly adequate for a couple. Security good - outside door with lock and inner hallway with the two rooms, own keys.

The meal I had in the pub's restaurant was very good, as was breakfast. All served by Alice, who was very helpful in giving me ideas of what to do in the area.

I visited a lovely little Victorian outdoors shopping village with some great shops - Heart of the Shire Shopping Village (not a Hobbit in sight!). I then spent a lovely few hours visiting Princess Diana's ancestral home, Althorp House.

If I am ever in the area again I shall most definitely be booking this hotel - and will check Marston's other accommodation out too.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

visited this place on 5th july 2013

Went for a meal here because they do 2 for one. Well that is not exactly true because the prices are really exspensive and the food is very low quality. my partner had fish and chips and I had a hamburger and chips. after waiting 50 minutes for our food the chips were not cooked properly and the hamburger was so cremated you needed an electric saw to cut into it. The fish was imported from abroad they thought from vietnam or japan and my partner was so upset with the taste and quality she was in tears. the manager sent the waitress over to speak to us who was very helpful and nice but he did not want to speak to us or to other people complaining, who had nothing to do with us. I understand this company chain buying in very cheap food but it is detrimental to the company, also if the chef cannot cook a hamburger and chips with bacon that was rubbery he should not be calling himself a chef. We live local to this place and will not be returning for food again. not recommended for eating. However for drinks because they have a Great garden area and friendly staff, like Kate you can have a good time but drinks only. Be warned do not try the fish and chips or burger and chips with bacon,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Heart of England Hotel? Share your experiences!