“Unclean, Dirty, Rude and Unprofessional Staff and Manager!” 1 of 5 stars

Rothwell House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bridge Street, Rothwell NN14 6JW, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rothwell
London, United Kingdom
“Unclean, Dirty, Rude and Unprofessional Staff and Manager!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Upon entrance to their rooms they both complained that the standard of the rooms was not very nice and there have several complaints in relation the standard of cleanliness below are some of the points that my staff have raised with me
• Blood like staining on pillows of bed
• Chair upholstery stained
• Curtains and Carpets stained
• Bathroom grimy and a lot of mold
• Toilet seat came off when lifted
• Toilet unclean
I called to voice my concern the receptionist that I spoke to was rather abrupt and was even suggesting that I was making this up and that it was our fault the toilet seat was loose, and that it was not their responsibility for the linen as they have an external company that does the linen.

I also emailed my issues only to receive a response from the owner that was not only grammatically incorrect throughout but in denial about anything insisting that it was a ploy from the employees and claiming never to have a single complaint in 7 yrs. he also advised me that the rude woman on the phone was the general manager not the receptionist!

As a national business whom used local accommodation when our staff are away from home I don’t think I have dealt with such rude, un accommodating establishment in all the years I have been booking accommodation.

Do not stay, the standard here is poor and there is much better in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
sowgate, Owner at Rothwell House Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
this company booked through a booking agent 2 room 4 nights they changed job location and didnt want to pay for stay. all that this review says is nonsense we have taken pictures of bathrooms bedrooms both rooms they were refurbished 6 months ago new carpets curtains bathroom tiles light fittings new 4 poster beds.
We have offered this lady the pictures and she has declined the offer she was not a guest she was the booker the guest have not said a word to us .As for the manager being rude she only pointed out that she would go and take pictures of the rooms as evidence and call her back.
I demand my managers take pictures you cannot argue then but if you refuse to view them well dont tell lies buy a tent .
her company director will be getting the pictures from me along with a very sharp letter.
the first question you must ask yourself if you checked into a room and there was blood any where in the room let alone the pillow or bedding would you sleep in it. all our laundry is washed by a laundry company and in all my years i have never seen clean laundry with blood or any body functions on it holes yes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Shanklin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Looks great from the outside, rooms tired and in need of serious refurbishment, breakfast was poor worth missing. Good value for money but do not expect luxury. The owners seem to believe they have a good hotel, they most certainly do not have.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sudbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

An absolute shambles! Dirty carpets, no plugs in sink or bath, shower cold only. Got locked in as lock broke; had to call for a member of the public to get assistance. Total fire hazard, plus Fire Exit blocked by a table.Only one low watt light working in bedroom (six were redundant). Shabby throughout.
Manager abusive on the phone and refused to address complaints; completely in denial that anything was wrong , eg - "We've had contractors in (state of carpets) and people come in with filthy boots! Plug issue- "people think it's funny to steal plugs!"

This is one of the worst "hotels" I've stayed in and I have travelled to Eastern Europe, India, S America.

Room Tip: Best not to use it at all
Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
sowgate, Owner at Rothwell House Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
This guest arrived at the hotel with 2 big dogs not informing the hotel we do not allow pets in the hotel we have outside room for that on the ground floor , and we dint charge for the dogs.
I called the lady the day after to try and resolve her complaint, firstly when i said who i was she was very nasty i asked her to tell me her complaint she said about the lock. The door has 2 locks the second is a dead lock so we got the key the Yale was broken ? The general manager had reservations about entering the room with the dogs.
The lady then told me about the bathroom plugs, I told the lady as did the General manager the plugs were in the soap and shower cap basket in the bathroom. She would not give me a chance to answer her complaint i listened to her but she would not listen to me. At that she put the phone down i called again and left a message on her answer phone.
I have had contact from this lady again wanting a massive refund i offered arbitration the day after but the phone was put down on me.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

A strange place. The outside of the hotel is very presentable, the restaurant and bar are both light airy clean and modern, however as soon as you mount the stairs things change. We only stayed one night and did not see any other rooms apart from our own, a twin for 50.00 a night (Premier Inn prices). New curtains in the room, clean bedsheets,, tea/coffee facilities/ironing board/hairdryier.
Flatscreen TV (about 12"). Carpet needed changing, we wouldn't stand on it in bare feet!, the en-suite!!! was tiny, i could not close the door once in the shower, which we cleaned ourselves,as i found a pubic hair on shower head and lots of dirt on light above mirror. There was a hole in the wall where i presume the toilet holder had been, and the seal around the sink was black and hanging off, mildew in the corner of the shower. Be aware that the rooms at the front of the hotel are single glazed and on a saturday night Rothwell gets busy, traffic noise till about 01.00. woodchip on all walls and emulsioned, cheap flat pack furniture, cheap beds. I would expect to pay about 25-30.00 pounds for this room. A great pity money hasn't been spent upstairs as it obviously has downstairs, a shame.!!!!

Room Tip: rooms at back are quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I needed a room in the Kettering area at short notice and after a quick google chose this hotel. I simply needed a bed for one for the night. To be honest, the rooms are a little tired and could do with a makeover, but the price reflects this. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the water was hot - all I really needed. £61 for dinner, bed and breakfast including a couple of pints was a very good price. The public rooms are very well presented and I had a good evening meal and breakfast - well cooked and cooked to order. The bonus for me was the fast internet connection as I needed to do some work in the room. I would recommend it and having spoken to a few regulars in the bar, it seems that they have tried a few of the local hotels and have found that the Rothwell House the best in the area. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 1 had a 4 poster - quite elegant and a decent size.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband and I were visiting our daughter when we got stuck due to heavy snow. We decided to stay in a hotel as our daughter has just moved into her flat and did not have a second bed. It was a spur of the moment decision which we have not regretted. The hotel is in an older building which has lots of character and some of the old features remain which we found to be a plus!The room was spacious, very clean and tidy with tea, coffee and hot chocolate plus a kettle. The shower was very clean, very powerful, the water was piping hot and we had plenty of soft towels too. The full English breakfast the following morning was very tasty and plentiful with a choice of juices, cereal and tea and coffee also. We would stay here again ...... lovely!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11 which was at the back of the hotel and lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed at the Rothwell House Hotel for one night with my fiance when visiting relatives in Market Harborough and after a dreadful journey down we wanted somewhere to stay before doing the return journey..
The hotel is good we basically wanted somewhere to sleep for one night and the hotel was just right for that. It was reasonably price (I cant remember the exact price now) the room was very nice, well decorated, all nice and clean, had ensuite which was lovely. The only fault I may say is the parking can be difficult if you come very late, my fiance drove round to check in but by the time we actually came to stay it was 11pm and the car park which is quite small was full so it was hard to squeeze our car in. My relative who is slightly more familier with the area did say there is parking on the street but I never checked as we didnt need it in the end. The breakfast I found was quite basic and not the best cooked breakfast Ive ever had but for £5 you really cant go wrong..overall a good place to stay.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rothwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!