“We loved our stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Kettering
Salem, CT
“We loved our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The restaurant was excellent, the staff in all areas excellent, happy, helpful. We ate at the restaurant for both breakfast and dinner and it was very good. Loved the peri peri chicken and the bar staff made me a chocolate martini!

The pool and gym were excellent. We had spa treatments which were average priced, not cheap but not overpriced either. I really felt the treatments could use a little something, I felt little extras weren't included. For example, the towels were harsh and the same ones used at the pool. Nicer towels would be more for pampering.

The only other thing I would mention is that I felt our room was too small and dark. We had room 317. I have no idea what other rooms are available but I really would have liked a little more room. Also, the tub/shower was a little dated. The water pressure was good but the temp fluctuated from cold to hot way too much.

I loved the little things they did for kids and the fact that there is an in room fridge.

Over all wonderful place and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review, I will share this with the team, who’ll be delighted to read through your comments. I will discuss with the maintenance team about the room, to ensure that any issues are addressed. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here for a meeting, the hotel is lovely with a nice feel about it. My room was enormous! I had a Queen bed + a set of bunk beds!. The room had complimentary wifi, AC, tea/coffee facilities with bottled water. We used a meeting room the next day & our delegate rate was £135 pp a good deal. We had a meal in the restaurant and although the service was great the blade of beef that we had was very fatty and tough.
Great central location - would use again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay, I am glad to read that on the whole you enjoyed the hotel and the meeting facilities. I will review with Chef your food comments. We look forward to being able to welcome you back, whether it be for business or pleasure.

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of days for business meetings and was very impressed.
The hotel was easy to find and car parking was easy.
My room was very good and the business / conference facilities first rate. All the staff i came in to contact with were first rate and nothing was too much for them. Meals were also trop draw, in fact i really could not fault this place.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to stay in the area and if you need to hold business meetings somewhere central this is the place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ShireHotels, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay, they are very much appreciated. It’s pleasing to read that the hotel, facilities and staff met with your expectations and approval. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future hopefully.

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had 27 guests in the Little Harrowden room with several coming from the North West of England and all enjoyed a superb buffet & good service from the bar,all hosted by Rosie in a friendly & very efficient manner. The guests that stayed at the hotel were all very impressed by the facilities & good service. All staff helped to make our celebration really special with their caring manner. Hopefully we willo be back at some future date. Mr & Mrs L Woodward on 21/09/13

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
It was a pleasure to meet with yourself and your husband during your diamond wedding celebrations here at the hotel, and thank you for your kind comments about the hotel and the team. I have shared these with the team, who are all delighted to learn of your comments, so thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It's about time I wrote this, I know this hotel quite well.

Let's start by saying that this is by far the best hotel for many miles around.

I've stayed in most of the hotels in the surrounding 10 miles and nothing comes close. I'll try and write a piece on each part so you can make your own mind up.

The hotel itself is a typical spa/luxury hotel, everything is geared around the customer experiencing luxury. From the reception on check in to checking out they have got things right.

In Kettering the welcome is outstanding, they recognise regular stayers through the Affinity programme and you are quickly checked in and given a room number, your key card and you're on your way.

The hotel itself is spread over three floors (maybe 4 if you get a lower ground room but I've never had one myself). The rooms themselves are very clean and well equipped, you get the decent bed, a good choice of pillows, a flatscreen TV, trouser press, a fridge with complimentary milk and water along with decent filter coffee and biscuits (they have recently supplied takeaway cups - brilliant in my view).

The bathroom is good too, complimentary bath and shower gel (in bottles, not the squeezy rubbish fixed to the wall) and decent thick, quality towels.

Here is where I need to make a comment though - some of the rooms double as meeting rooms and they are simply not the same, a bed pulled down from a wardrobe is not the same quality as the other rooms and it is very dissapointing to see a meeting room banner outside your door as the welcome. If you want a large table and a TV on wheels then this is okay but personally I don't like these rooms.

The hallways and the routes to the rooms are perfect though, dim lighting in the hallways making it feel like a sleeping area is a great touch, it's not dark and welcomes you to where you sleep, I like this.

The restaurant and bar simply cannot be faulted, in Kettering there is Kar Vee, Jake and Fran (Sadly she is leaving) who have made my time here something else. You are quickly served and where they can it's encouraged to find a seat and service is made at your table of choice, all of the bar staff are friendly yet very very professional.

The food is nothing short of oustanding, I think I must have eaten everything on each menu as they have changed throughout the seasons and I can't remember a single bad experience regarding the quality. That said if you eat in the bar expect those in the restaurant to be served before people in the bar. I prefer the bar when I am staying on my own and happily accept that the restaurant service comes first.

But the restaurant itself is great too, they've recently introduced a best of local produce selection and it is simply outstanding. Just try it - there will be no disappointment. Breakfast is no different, you are greeted and taken to a free table, before being offered a wide choice, it is a served buffet for the hot food but the quality is great, from full English to Granola, fresh fruit, cereals and pastries.

To burn off the food, there are the spa facilities. The pool can get crowded at peak times as can the gym but that can only be expected. They have a suana, a steam room and a jacuzzi with the gym, treatment rooms and exercise classes close by.

My only comment about the fitness facilities is from a while ago when the personal trainers would take over the gym with their customers making sure that stayers could not get to certain exercise equipment, it was physically frowned upon to try and use a space where there were certain PT instructors training. I have not seen this recently though and the Gym reception staff have always made you feel very welcome.

Outside the hotel it is very well kept, there is plenty of parking and its never a struggle to find a space. The grounds are immaculately kept.

So in a nutshell, this place really is great, the rooms are very well equipped and very comfortale, some rooms are not as good as others but the spa facilities are amazing and the staff service is out of this world. It's fair to say that I look forward to staying here.

Room Tip: Its unfair to say avoid rooms that double as meeting rooms as they are not bad, but they aren't...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ShireHotels, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am delighted to learn that you are one of the many regular guests we are able to look after, week after week, and the team will be delighted with your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a night during our MotoGP weekend with our two children aged 4&7. The room was spacious and the children's beds and our were comfortable. The fridge was stocked with milk and water and chocolate treats for the kids. In the evening they also brought glasses of milk and fresh cookies to our room. These two things impressed our children massively - full points from them!
The spa area was nice with a good sized pool for doing lengths. In the evening we dined in the restaurant. There was a children's set meal which made things easier. My steak sandwich was delightfully tasty though my Husband's burger lacked flavour.. Quite pricey for a family on a budget but a nice treat nevertheless. The breakfast was amazing. Nothing was too much trouble. Overall a very pleasant experience was had by all. Happy to recommend :-)

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased to read that on the whole the entire family enjoyed the stay! Milk and Cookies are always a firm favourite, so I am pleased to learn the kids enjoyed these. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ascot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Rooms are over priced for what you get. the staff are friendly enough but the service in the restaurant is poor and the portions small so poor value for money. The rooms are not bad and there is plenty of parking. the bar prices are about average but on the expensive side. The location is ideal for Rockingham Raceway, but there are better hotels nearer which offer better value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
ShireHotels, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to talk with me tonight on the phone and it was good to be able to hear a little more information about your stay with us to add some context to your comments. I do hope that you’re feeling reassured about our commitment to quality and service, and that you will consider us on a future visit to Rockingham.

Gareth Ireland - General Manager

Been to Kettering Park Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!