“A great place to relax” 5 of 5 stars

Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kettering Parkway, Kettering NN15 6XT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Kettering
Derby, United Kingdom
“A great place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It is the third time I have stayed at this hotel in the last two years and other than the first time, I have booked the stay without any other reason to go to Kettering - just because I know we can guarantee a relaxing stay with service which has not been surpassed anywhere else I have stayed. This time was no exception. Needless to say I expect we'll be back again when we next feel the need to unwind.

My only slight criticism is the bar food which I think is a overpriced and it would be nice to have some fresher things on the menu, but the staff were happy to swap fries for a salad which was lovely and fresh.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you had such a relaxing and enjoyable stay at our Hotel.

I will pass on your comments to all my team as I know they will be delighted to hear how complimentary you are regarding the service you have received.

I note your comments regarding bar food and will review any changes when we change our menus in the near future.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Stephen Woodrow – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Kettering Park Hotel and Spa does it again!!!!!!

My wife and I chose Kettering Park Hotel and Spa again to celebrate NYE. This is the second year they have carried out the celebration in the restaurant (it is less formal than the other celebration in the Rutland Suite, which suits us).

We arrived on 31st December and were welcomed by the Manager and had an easy check-in. We had also taken along my mother and father-in-law, who were made equally welcome.

We went to our rooms on the third floor, which were clean, very comfortable, spacious and had a good supply of tea and coffee.

At 7.15pm. we went to the restaurant where we were shown to our table and presented with a glass of sparkling wine. The meal, as we were aware, was semi-buffet style. The starters were many and plentiful. The soup, which my father-in-law had, was wholesome. The main course was a carvery. The chef carved the beef and baked ham, with vegetable, yorkshire pudding, gravy etc for self service. There was more than plenty available and on offer. A whole poached salmon with prawns etc and plentiful salad was available, but none of us had any (no room as we wanted a dessert). The desserts were pelntiful and offered a good range and certainly looked and tasted delicious. I was pleased to hear one client say she had been offered an alternative, without any quibble as she could not partake of the ones available. (this KPH for you-they will always go the extra mile to accommodate you-Well Done). Cheese and biscuita aplenty were available as was tea and coffee. The meal overall was excellent. No one should have gone away hungry!!!!!!!

The music during the meal was easy going and made the dining experience even better. The DJ played very acceptable music during the evening and celebrated midnight very well.

Our party retired to our rooms at about 12.30am after a very ejoyable experience. Well Done again Kettering Park Hotel.

Breakfast on January 1st was a very pleasant experience and was extended to 11am for thos who who didnt want to rise early. Porridge was order for three and came piping hot and plentiful, the cooked breakfast was fresh and hot. No rush to leave after eating.

Our NYE experience was wonderful and considered very good value and we shall certainly repeat it this year.

On another note we attended Kettering Park Hotel and Spa on Boxing Day for the lunch on offer. This once again was a wonderful experience there were six of us in the party and everyone enjoyed the afternoon. The food on offer was "non Christmas" which made a real change. The Caramel Pavlova was to die for !!!!!

The staff who served us on both occasions were attentive and made us feel very welcome.

Kettering Park Hotel and Spa. Highly Recommended. If you haven't tried it you don't know what you have missed.

A bouquet from my family, friends and I

BJW

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ShireHotels, Stephen Woodrow - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay on New Year’s Eve. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable time at the hotel. I will pass on your comments to the Head Chef and Restaurant team, as I know they will be pleased to learn you had a fantastic evening and received high standards of service.
Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Stephen Woodrow - General Manger
King's Lynn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Over priced and not four star. We booked a NYE Premier Suite package as we had stayed here for weekends a number of times about ten years ago and had always received a 4* experience.
The receptionist at check in was very loud and brusk. The suite was good but had too much/large furniture which gave it a cramped feeling, We decided to relax after the drive, but the only place there appeared to be to sit and read was in the bar on uncomfortable upright chairs (no settee or arm chairs). We noticed that people were having to go to the bar to order but after about 20 minutes bar staff eventually asked if we wanted to order a drink, which we did. My husband ordered a Fosters and I ordered a French 75, which is a Champagne cocktail. I was really surprised when our £15.00 drink's was delivered without any nibbles, after a few minutes when it became clear that we were not going to get any, I asked the waitress and she said that she would bring some over, which she did. We sat for awhile until I had to leave to go back to the suite, as there was no heating on and my feet were like blocks of ice. Thankfully the radiators in the suite could be turned up (all set at 2) and I soon warmed up. We then looked for the breakfast menu so that we could order breakfast in our room (the reason that we booked a suite was so that we could do this). Unfortunately, we couldn't find the order form, and on ringing reception, we were told if we wanted to come to reception we could fill in a form there. I went to reception, and they had no copies of it either, so he took my order and said that he would telephone it through to the kitchen.

When it was time to go to the Buffet Dinner we were poured a glass of something with bubbles, not sure what but it was horrid. The meal was terrible, all the starters were heavy on vinegar, although the Potato and leek soup was nice. The main course was beef or gammon, new potatoes, honey glazed veg and yorkshire pud, and the selection of home made desserts was a choice of three and fresh fruit salad. There was also cheese and biscuits. To be honest I would say that this dinner would cost them £10 per head maximum and could be done better by any pub carvery, whilst I except it was NYE, to charge £65 per head was unbelievable. (I was happy to pay £65 per head but expected a lot more from a 4* hotel then I got).

We were back in our suite by 10:30 as the 'Disco' was not our cup of tea, so cannot comment on how good/bad it was. This morning our breakfast arrived but no coffee, no toast just a basic cooked breakfast that was neither good nor bad. On checking out the receptionist who had ordered our breakfast had said that the hotel wasn't doing room service, which he had not been aware of, but assured us that he had requested coffee with it. As this one night stay cost £285 for two people, I would say that there are better places to celebrate important evenings. We won't be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you did not have the experience you were expecting at our New Year’s party event. I have had very good feedback from many of the guests who were in the Restaurant on New Year’s Eve, so I am therefore especially sorry you did not enjoy your evening.

I can assure you I will review all of your comments regarding to New Years Eve, and breakfast with my team. All guests checking into the Hotel over the Christmas and New Years week should have received welcome letters notifying guests of opening and closing times of facilities and services, so my apologies if you did not receive yours.
I note you stating you would not return to our Hotel; I do hope you would reconsider this thought, and should you do so, to then contact me personally and I would be delighted to manage your requirements.
I do hope I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Rushden, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Black fluff on carpet at the end of our beds stayed throughout our 2 night stay. Dinner on first night was a disaster. Waited ages for wine list then after another 20 mins we were told that they couldn't find our choice so we had to order something else. We eventually got our wine after a 50 minute wait. Wine was given to us as complimentary when we complained about the wait. A table next to ours was also told that their wine choice was unavailable. Food not up to the 4 star rating and was very, very expensive. We didn't sleep very well the first night and only realised after midnight on the second night that the matresses had buttons sticking out. We were too tired to complain so had to position our bodies between the bumps.
Swimming pool area very good, although on the Sunday, noisy children were jumping in the pool and shouting. Not very relaxing. Hubbie ordered chicken salad sandwiches for lunch at the swimming pool and we got chicken ceasar salads (again, very expensive). Just didn't want the upset of complaining because it takes ages to get anything served, so we just ate then. We booked this hotel to have a much needed rest after travelling abroad for a very busy Christmas. Why didn't we complain more? Well, after a bereavement you just don't want confrontation, confrontation, confrontation on what is supposed to be a rest.
When checking-out, we noticed we had been charged for the complimentary bottle of wine so had to complain.
Staff seemed friendly but there is a distinct lack of co-ordination and professionalism throughtout the hotel. When we first booked we were told that they were not sure if we would be able to eat an evening meal on 30th., and that someone would call back to confirm. A week later no-one had called back so we had to phone again only to be told "Sorry about that but you didn't speak to me". Unprofessional! The rooms need decorating, they are very dark and dull.
We were unable to get an evening meal on 31st so went to the pub around the corner and had a very good meal sderved by an efficient , friendly and professional waitress for a quarter of the cost of this hotel.
We are frequent travellers and have been very disappointed with this hotel.

northants
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here last night , check in very quick and efficient , bedroom clean, bathroom spotless robes in room which we used to visit spa area again very good .room service was good only fault was needed to remind them to bring the good up. Very comfy beds , superb white fluffy towels and a lovely hot shower .
Breakfast was very good and Ivan was very attentive and made sure everything was ok.
Checkout very efficient and did not need to question any part if the bill a most welcome change.
Would recommend when needing some where to stay in the Kettering area.
Yvette Morgan

• Stayed December 2012
Our housekeeping team work very hard to make sure that all our bedrooms are kept to a very high standard and I’m glad you found that apparent during your stay. I will pass on your comments to all my team as I know they will be delighted to hear how great your recent stay here with us was.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Nice place staff are helpfull and the gum and spa are lovely. Prices as expected for grading. Nice set up quite relaxing.
Decor nice and open fire in lounge area.
Usually an event going on always worth booking.
Location is ideal for business meets and quick coffee or lunch.
Plenty of free parking spaces including disabled spaces.

• Stayed December 2012
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

On this occasion I did not stay overnight I only attended one of the Christmas Party night events, so my review is of this only. I also attended a Christmas Party night last year which I thouroughly enjoyed, so maybe I was left disappointed on this occasion as last year was so much better!

In summary, the night was a real let down and our party have already decided that we won't be attending next year.

On arrival we were faced with a powercut, not a great start and whilst I appreciate that this was probably beyond the hotels control, no explanation or apology was given by any member of staff. After approx 5 - 10 minutes the power was restored however it did briefly cut out twice more before being completely fixed.

We weren't allowed to use the stairs during the power outage so we headed to the main bar for drinks on arrival. The service was incredibly slow and the staff seemed to struggle with adding up peoples bills when the tills weren't working. They had also ran out of white wine and the waiter dissapeared out the back to find some which took him a while! Running out of wine at 7.15pm on an event night is suprisingly bad as I'd have thought this would be well stocked up in advance!

Once the power was fixed we went upstairs to find our table. To my suprise the room upstairs was far smaller with only 8 tables of no more than 10 people per table. There was a DJ but the music selection was poor and not many people decided to have a dance until much later in the evening and even then people just seemed to be trying to make the most out of a bad situation!

After dinner we went to find some friends who were also at the Park Hotel for their works Christmas party night. We were not very happy to discover that the other function room got a live band and ours didn't when we both paid the same rate - we felt quite ripped off! We were not aware when booking that we could be put in either room so if you will be making a booking definitely check that you get the downstairs room. After finding our friends we decided to relocate to their function room downstairs as they had a live band and as the room was much bigger it had a much better atmosphere.

Another point to add is that as the night goes on the bar prices got increaingly more expensive. Think they are relying on you getting drunk and not noticing. I would have complained but we were never given a receipt (conveniently for them!) and so couldn't prove it but when buying the same drinks time and time again you know what the bill should be.

I was pleased to see that my comment last year about the small dancefloor in the larger function room downstairs appeared to have been taken on board and rectified for this year - the dancefloor was much bigger and better and this was far more enjoyable. However the bar staff are still the slowest and most unhappy I have ever come accross - this hasn't changed!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback following a recent Fire & Ice party night, of which I was sorry to learn of your experience.

The blackout on this evening in particular, was also within the local area, and as you recognise beyond our control. Safety and effective communications in these situations is always our priority, and I along with my colleagues did our best to ensure all guests were fully aware of the goings on – I will of course accept your views and note your comments on how to improve in this situation next time.

The other Christmas party you refer to that your friend was attending and had alternative entertainment was privately booked by the company, and not the Hotel. To confirm, there were no differences on any of our party nights with all rooms having the DJ, and Casino tables as part of the package.

I was disappointed to read your views on our service and staff attitude, and can assure you this has been reviewed. Regarding bar prices, theses in no way change as the night goes on, and as the Hotel Licence holder, I take these comments seriously. I would kindly request and ask you to consider removing these comments on your review.

I do hope that although your experience at the Christmas party this year did not live up to your previous year’s experience, that you would consider using our Hotel again in the near future and next Christmas we are having James Bond themed Christmas parties, that may be of interest to you and your party.

Stephen Woodrow – General Manager

Been to Kettering Park Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!