“Not quite special enough” 4 of 5 stars

Fawsley Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fawsley | Near Daventry, Fawsley NN11 3BA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fawsley
Musbury, Axminster, Devon, United Kingdom
“Not quite special enough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We came here for two nights in place of a 'proper' hoiday. We paid around £500 for the two nights and had requested a Tudo-styled room, so I was expecting something quite special. At checking in I noticed that on the reservation details printed out by the hotel there was a hand-written note saying 'no Tudor-styled rooms available'. The reception didn't mention this and then gave us a quick tour of the main locations of the hotel (the Grand Hall and Bess' Brasserie where breakfast was served) and left us to make our way to room 50 which we had been appointed. It was a nice enough room for top class B&B, but for more than £200 per night it was not what we were looking for. We had booked at Fawsley for something special with a bit of character not to stay in a room which could have been part of a Marriott chain. So, we went back to reception to see if anything could be done. Apparently none of the Tudor style B&B rooms were available but we were appointed room 4 which is Georgian in style and looked more like it was worth £200 a night. The bed was huge and extraordinariy comfortable, the bathroom was equally huge - although the shower cubicle was small. I would have liked a bath with a bit more character - something with a claw foot would have been nice, however, it was so much better than the first option I wasn't going to complain. Also, the tub chairs in the room didn't seem to be in keeping with the other furniture in the room. I suppose I'm making a bit of a meal about these details, but, for me staying at Fawsley was out of my usual price range and it was supposed to be a real treat so I was expecting something out of the ordinary and the initial impressions had left me disappointed. I know the hotel has a new management in place, so my message to you is please change your policy on toiletries and tea and coffee. The paucity of the room compliments tray was a real bugbear. There were so few options (2 English Breakfast teabags, 2 Earl Grey, 1 camomile and 1 peppermint - for £200!) and in such poor quantity that I was stunned. I have been in B&Bs which cost a third of the price and been offered more. Also, no biscuits! What's a cup of tea without a biscuit?! It left me feeling a bit unwelcomed to be honest. Also, the tiny bottles of shampoo and shower gel - again, not many other extras. My advice to the management is to be a bit more generous here. A larger quantity of toiletries and a greater supply of tea and coffee (perhaps something decaffeinated which is what I drink) would make guests feel much more at home and it wouldn't cost the earth.
However, the hotel itself and the grounds are glorious and it was a very relaxing stay. My advice is - if possible - do as we did and go midweek, off-season. We often had the Great Hall to ourselves and that felt very special. Make the most of it and lounge around in the sumptuous sofas and spend the day at the spa as we did. The breakfasts are spectacular though. Have the haddock - it's amazing.
Would I return? Possibly not. It felt a bit too expensive for what we actually got, I didn't feel valued or special which was a shame.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Fawsley Hall, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review I am sorry to hear that you where disappointed with your stay.

Please excuse my standard reply on this occasion. You may already be aware that Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa was purchased by Hand Picked Hotels at the end of August and is the 20th country house heritage property in the Collection. I am delighted to introduce myself as the new General Manager at Fawsley Hall, having been in the Group for over 6 years. Hand Picked Hotels prides itself on offering a quality four star product and I am sorry to learn that your previous experience did not reflect the standard associated with our Group. I do take a very keen interest in all feedback and would be very pleased to discuss this further with you, should you wish to contact me mclayton@handpicked.co.uk

Mark Clayton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I managed to have a week off together, and with the boys home from Uni to look after the house we set off for a few days away. This is the first of the 3 hotels we stayed at during our week off.

We found Fawsley through a discount website (we may have secretly escaped here) and booked 3 nights in a superior room with breakfast included for £125 per night, which is well under 50% of the "rack rate" - more on this later...

With Sat Nav we found the hotel with no problems, though we dragged our bags from the overflow car park as there was no obvious signage for the check-in short term parking we later discovered when walking the grounds.

There was a Jaguar event going on at the hotel, but my wife objected to my drooling over the 5 litre supercharged Jaguar XF saloon, so we made our way to reception where we were checked into our room in short order. The hotel porter carried our bags and took us up to our room, which was some distance away on the top floor, but this meant it was very quiet. Some have complained here on TA about the noisy floorboards closer to reception. For people staying there, others passing by their rooms on the way to our quieter end of the hotel may be an issue, but just ask for a room at the back.

Our room was up in the roof, with quaint angled edges to the ceiling, but there was plenty of room and a great view out over the fields to the south. The bed was really comfortable with good quality bed linen. There was an older tube style TV with limited channels available, but there was Wi-Fi in the bedroom and throughout the hotel - not always the fastest connection though with no chance of streaming Sky-Go etc. but absolutely fine for basic web browsing/email etc.

The bathroom had a separate bath and shower cubicle, with a single sink and toilet. It was not massive but plenty large enough for one person to use at a time.

The real "feature" of this hotel is the hall itself. This is a large social space and during our visit they had small fires in the hearth each night. With the subdued lighting and real candles burning the many sofas in this space were very inviting - especially those beside the fire. All this and Wi-Fi too.

We ate dinner in the restaurant the first night, and this was good, but they had REALLY weird music playing - both that night for dinner and every day at breakfast too. A country and music CD with "I walked the line" and "my name is Sue" arriving every hour or so - very strange and not what you would expect with the decor and ambiance. Dinner was good, and most welcome after our ~200 mile drive from home.

Breakfast each day was also good, with a cold buffet and hot items ordered via the serving staff. Quantities varied each day, with my two poached eggs coming with anywhere between one sausage and one piece of bacon (first day) to two sausages and three pieces of bacon on the last (with toast under the eggs only on that day also). Great food, but a slight lack of consistency.

We did use the Spa, sauna and pool but sadly the steam room was out of order. The outside Jacuzzi is really good at this time of year (Sept) as the warm water contrasts with the cooler air outside and the brief shower of rain we had whilst I was in there was also a most interesting experience.

This is a great location if you want to access Stratford, but be away from it. Around a 30 minute leisurly drive each way finds you in the heart of Stratford, and the leisure centre car park there offers the best value in our opinion - with only a short 5 minute walk to the RSC and canal lock basin.

We did ask at reception what it would cost to stay a few extra nights, and were quoted £285 per night. We decided to move on elsewhere at that price, but whilst waiting for me to get the car after we had checked out my wife was chatting with the duty manager who said she would match anything else we could get. Sadly we had already booked a non-refundable room for two nights at another hotel the other side of Stratford - their loss.

This is a great place to stay, slightly out of the way but this is a real plus in our opinion. Great character, incredible hall and friendly staff. If we can get another discount deal we will be back!

Room Tip: Up high at the back - less noise from people passing and squeaky floorboards.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We came here for our mini moon for a finish to our amazing wedding.
On arrival, the hall itself is very pretty, but staff were frosty and uptight. High standards can be achieved with a friendly manner.
We had a mountain trek to our room that just didn't equate to the reputation Fawsley holds.
The room was dark and dreary, with unmatched and badly chipped furniture, not equipped with more than enough two cups of tea and dated carpets and upholstery.
Our spa treatments were 5 star, and enjoyed thoroughly. It was a shame though that all of the facilities were included yet only 2 of the 4 were working.
We were invited to come back and enjoy these at another time, but this was our honeymoon and disappointing that we couldn't enjoy the whole experience.
The food was the best we've ever had. It was amazing and we loved eating at Bess' brasserie.
We went for a walk, and were aghast at the poorly kept surroundings.
So we went to watch TV and had the choice of ONE channel that was tuned in satisfactorily.
The following morning, we enjoyed a cooked breakfast that was delivered to our table, but felt uneasy. A less formal breakfast would have made us feel more at home.
We planned, paid for and expected something special and magical.
Unfortunately, although we would use the spa and Brasserie again, we would not stay at this venue again as for us it was very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Fawsley Hall, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We recently stayed at fawsley for a couple days in the country, it's a truely beautiful place with so much interesting history. the estate is beautiful, and updated. Our room (the elizabeth hamden i think it was called) was large, with a great bed, uniquely decorated and large bathroom and amazing view of the church, sheep, countryside. I read some of the other reviews before I came, and would have to disagree with any bad comments about the personnel
There- everyone was so friendly and helpful, from the front desk to the bartenders and wait staff! There were TVs (at least in my room) and the front desk have quite a large DVD collection that you could rent. Around fawsley, there were great walks, a church and Another old estate- I really enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend it for a nice getaway. We rented a driver thru a daventry car company and did day trips to Blenheim, Stratford upon Avon and Oxford.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, and I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your bedroom and the views of the stunning surrounding countryside. Whilst we do loan out DVDs to our guests, we also have a 29-seat cinema which regularly shows some of the latest films , guests also enjoy this unique facility! We look forward to welcoming you back to Fawsley Hall on your next return visist.
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We have stayed at Fawsley on a number of occasions, both for relaxing and romantic breaks and also for large family celebrations. Whatever the reason for being there, we have never had anything other than the best of experiences.

The original hotel buildings are 'historic' in so many different ways and the Grand Hall is inspiring, particularly at Christmas when beautifully decorated, and with a roaring log fire. But when ever you visit, it will be memorable.

Sumptuous rooms, wonderful food and wine and great attentive service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa was purchased by Hand Picked Hotels at the end of August and is the 20th country house heritage property in the Collection. I am delighted to introduce myself as the new General Manager at Fawsley Hall, having been in the Group for over 6 years. Hand Picked Hotels prides itself on offering a quality four star product and your positive review with regard to your recent stay has been shared with the rest of the team. We aim to provide professional and friendly service, so it is lovely to hear that this is enjoyed and appreciated by our guests
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at Fawsley for a small 2 day business meeting. Overall superb, great views, lovely accommodation and what feels like a very remote location but actually very close to M40. Given the location I was expecting the hotel to be quiet, however the car park was full but the hotel did not feel crowded at any point.

The meeting facilities were very good (free wifi!), up to date technology in the meeting room but beautifully set. Evening food was very good. Service at lunch could have been a little sharper, but in the great scheme of things this was a very minor issue. I would definitely go again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a very nice room in the main hotel. Although beaware that wifi did not seem to work on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We were pleased to learn that your recent stay for a business meeting met your expectations. Whilst set in 2000 acres of beautiful Northamptonshire countryside, Fawsley Hall does enjoy easy access to both the M40 and M1 motorways, being very centrally located. We have noted your comment with regard to service at lunch, and brought this to the attention of the Food and Beverage Manager. We will look forward to welcoming you back on a future date.
formby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at Fawsley 10th of August for 2 nights as we were test driving at Silverstone.

On arrival we had the champagne afternoon tea, the setting was lovely in one of the dining rooms looking out into the gardens, the place was fairly busy with outside guests using the hotel for what looked like treats for those celebrating special occasions which added to the atmosphere

The bedroom was lovely, with an enormous bathroom, over looking the front of the hotel which is so grand and so impressive to look at from the outside. First night we had champagne in the courtyard which was such a nice setting,the service was impeccable and then we fine dined in the Equilibrium restaurant, the food was excellent and we finished off with coffee and liqueurs in the grand hall- wow just all so magical, really enjoyed this place.

Second evening we ate at the Brasserie again all very good . The overall service again excellent. We will hopefully return, can highly recommend Fawsley a quiet, special weekend for us, one we will remember.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay in August, which have been conveyed to all the staff and are very much appreciated. Fawsley Hall is a special place, and we were delighted to learn that your relaxing stay met your expectations. We will look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Been to Fawsley Hall? Share your experiences!