“Three-star masquerading as four-star” 3 of 5 stars

Daventry Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sedgemoor Way, Daventry NN11 0SG, England   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Daventry
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Three-star masquerading as four-star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My second visit to the Daventry Court Hotel on business. Stayed in a double room for two nights in late January 2014. Points below:

+ staff were friendly and helpful (especially the gym staff)
+ food on the whole was good (especially breakfast)
+ use of gym and pool included in price
+ free parking

- decor in the rooms is beginning to look dated
- no A/C for a 4* hotel (?!)
- bar seldom had correct change and often did not have enough staff
- shower lacked pressure

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_DaventryCourt, General Manager at Daventry Court Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit to the Daventry Court Hotel.
We do appreciate the feedback you have given, it is only through our customer feedback that we can offer a continually improving service
Kindest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Daventry Court Hotel is a really nce, well run hotel. We had a good room with a queen size bed and the staff were all very friendly, the lady at the check-in was particularly efficient. However, as is often the case, the hotel was let down by the restaurant. We were advised at the check in that there was a party in the restaurant room at 8.15 so we booked at 7pm to avoid this but the disco started at 7.30. Also my wife's main course wasn't cooked properly but the rest of our 3-course meal and breakfast were all very good. The staff were very friendly in the restaurant but none of them seemed to have had proper restaurant training.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GM_DaventryCourt, General Manager at Daventry Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Many thanks for your comments regarding your visit to the Daventry Court Hotel
It is great to hear how you enjoyed your experience however it is disappointing to read that your wife’s main course was not satisfactory. I do hope that you had the opportunity to discuss this with our management team.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My friends and I visited this Hotel on a spa day experience. We planned lunch in the hotel then to enjoy our Spa experience which included two beauty treatments.

Lunch was pricy but ok. There was a Conference going on so the restaurant went from very quiet to very noisy and full very quickly so we escaped to the peace of the spa.

Apparently there are no keys in the Women's lockers which is a little odd and inconvenient. However Staff on Reception offered to lock our valuables in the men's lockers.

The Gym is small but has a variety of exercise machines to keep most people happy. The pool is pleasant for a relaxing swim but is round in shape so not for those who like to do serious laps.

We were lucky to bag sunbeds although there are limited numbers. There is a small sauna and steam room and a jacuzi.

The beauty treatments were excellent and the Beauticians great. We have been lucky enough to visit some highly rated upmarket Health Centres and the beauty treatments compared very favourable to my experiences here.

The Staff in the Spa make this place excellent. The young men on the Reception desk and the skillied Beauticians all offered excellent service. They welcomed us warmly and were flexible and willing to make our brief stay really enjoyable.

Our day finished with scones, clotted cream and jam, all very tasty.

The general feeling was we had enjoyed a very relaxing day and had saved our treatments until last which left us feeling relaxed and pampered.

Would we visit again? Well yes we would if this Groupon offer came up again. But pick a quiet day preferably with no Conference.

And come on Management at this hotel. Get some keys for the lockers, buy a few more sunbeds and really praise your Spa Staff they are excellent and deserve some recognition.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your visit to our leisure club for your spa experience
It is fantastic to read how you enjoyed your experience, we do aim to make sure our guests are relaxed and benefit from the facilties provided before their treatments.
I have passed on your comments regarding our team and they are extremely pleased you enjoyed your visit.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to our spa in the near future
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I recently stayed here overnight with my partner, while I could have enjoyed certain aspects of the stay I just couldn't ignore the problems with the food, cleanliness and service.

Firstly the food. I paid a ridiculously high price for an extremely low quality lunchtime meal, dodgy school dinners I have experienced put it to shame! It was stone cold by the time it was served to me, in retrospect I'd have rather gone hungry. The utensils and condiments were rather well hidden and the spoon had fallen right into the bowl of ketchup where I couldn't get it, yuck. Please either lower the prices by at least 60% or offer something worth eating. Dinner was better, but still gave off an essence of cheap and nasty - the chocolate sponge could have been a bath sponge for what it resembled in both consistency and flavour.

However I did enjoy breakfast food, I thought there was a generous variety of foods on offer. Unfortunately the apple juice tasted as though it had been watered down.

The other concern I had was with the appalling amount of mess that was left in the foyer from lunchtime and around the bar. It does not take an entire afternoon to pick up empty glasses, plates and rubbish - there was so much crockery, rubbish and food leftovers everywhere which I felt to be unacceptable. This was not just limited to the foyer but also tables near the chess event. I felt a bit sorry for the staff as they seemed very confused and harried which suggests they are perhaps not getting the support they need from the management.

There was also a problem with the lack of seating in the foyer area and bar, it was very busy due to the chess event which I understand but I still think more could have been done. There seemed to be a lot of wasted space where there could have easily been some more tables and chairs around, I had to resort to the floor at one point when I wanted to read.

All this aside I thought the room was lovely and I enjoyed the selection of complimentary teas, but it was very hot during the night even though the radiator was off so I woke up in the morning feeling exhausted.

The ladies behind the main reception were very polite and helpful. The lady in the spa seemed to avoid acknowledging me even though I was obviously in need of assistance - I pretty much had to stick my head over the desk to ask for help. I was then promptly dismissed as everything was fully booked, which was not a problem, but the offhand nature of the staff would put me off booking something for next time.

I say this is such a shame because I thought there was great potential for a stylish, relaxed atmosphere and I loved the look of the foyer plus the bar had a nice variety of drinks, but unfortunately it was spoiled by the mess and inadequate seating. I've returned from my trip away feeling exhausted and physically ill, not refreshed and uplifted as a four star hotel would promise. I had a lift to and from the establishment so I can't blame public transport for wearing me out, it was the experience within the hotel.

I'll be staying at home next time but if I ever do have to come back, I'll be bringing a stash of pot noodles to eat in my room. :(

Room Tip: Bring a packed lunch and a deck chair.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_DaventryCourt, General Manager at Daventry Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience

Please do not hesitate to contact our duty management team to discuss your feedback in more detail

Kindest regards
simbadoo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Came here today on a Groupon voucher - now if this is meant to encourage people to come back they have got it all wrong. .
When we arrived the foyer was heaving with people but at 11am on a Sunday we assumed it was just people checking out. When we checked in we were given towels and robes which were perfectly adequate. I didn't notice any smell in the changing rooms but most of the lockers were missing their keys but luckily I found a spare one. We managed to get a lounger but I have to agree they were in short supply. The steam room should be done under the trades description act as it was only just warm and there was a distinct lack of steam. We called reception who came and looked and said he would get someone in the know to come and fix it - we are still waiting. The pool although lovely and warm was dirty around the water line, and there were used paper cups lying around.
Our groupon included a cream tea which we asked if we could add some sandwiches to - we were informed this was OK but we needed to go to the bar to order and then eat them. We made our way back to foyer only to find it looked like an airport departure lounge after a 7 hour delay! The place was heaving with dirty crockery all over the place, and people sitting everywhere even on the floor. Apparently there was a chess tournament in progress. We waited for approx. 5 mins for bar service. Eventually Samantha appeared but she was obviously having a bad day as our request to order some sandwiches was greeted with a real lack of enthusiasm. Our order placed we asked where we could sit and were directed to the dining room - another couple was also in there in their robes but otherwise the place was empty. That was apart from two young ladies who proceeded to loiter around doing very little for almost an hour - considering the mess in the foyer I would have thought they could have been better deployed. Our sandwiches duly arrived and then we waited and waited for our cream tea. Eventually I asked one of the loiterers who informed me it wasn't her job but she would check. The cream tea, when it arrived, was OK.
I had Jessica for my treatments and she was very good but the music played during the treatment was loud rock type music which I found odd until I realised it was to cover the noise from reception as the treatment room was directly opposite.
All in all we made the best of a average day but we won't be going back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your spa experience.

It is disappointing you did not enjoy your day and I do hope that you have had the opportunity to discuss this with our health and fitness management team

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We have just for back from what was supposed to be a relaxing spa day. Needless to say it was anything but. The staff were rude the changing rooms filthy and mouldy. The pool also filthy. Awful cheesy smell in the changing rooms and pool area. The sauna and steam room were disgusting Not enough loungers which meant we couldn't sit down anywhere. Tea and coffee served in paper cups from a machine. When we went for lunch there was no where to sit as there was a chess convention going on in the hotel. The towels we were given in the spa ( and dressing gowns) were old and thread bare and finally the girl giving the treatments was a college student who wasn't fully qualified. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding your spa experience.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

A nice hotel and a good party, but overall not as good as last year. There were a lot more people than last year but there were not enough staff to cope with the extra people. The cost of drinks was very expensive and getting served at the bar in the reception area took a long time.
The party itself was very good the food took a while to arrive but the entertainment between courses was excellent. The music was very good and got everyone in the party mood.
The breakfast next day was a complete shambles as the staff were unable to cope with the amount of people arriving at the same time, there didn't seem to be anyone in charge is supervising or organising the staff or guests. Again this comes down to not having sufficient staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments regarding your New Years Eve experience
We are glad you enjoyed the party; however it is disappointing that you felt there was a delay in between courses. This has been noted and shared with the catering team as have the comments regarding breakfast.
We do hope that you have a fantastic 2014
Kindest regards

Been to Daventry Court Hotel? Share your experiences!