“Girls Weekend Away” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Girls Weekend Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed on August Bank holiday weekend.
We were originally allocated 2 small double rooms miles apart from each other - there were 4 of us travelling together
We asked if they had any twin rooms available near each other
We were allocated 2 really nice rooms next door to each other which made our stay even more enjoyable
The food and service was also good

Room Tip: Just ask the friendly staff who are very efficient
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Lovely stay. Reception staff friendly. Room size good. we stayed as a family of four with a five year old and 12 yr old. The pool was lovley and warm and a good size kids loved it. There aren't many places to eat locally. We ended up at a Wheatsheaf in Crick expensive and the food wasn't up to much.Breakfast was a bit of a let down. There were only two staff on duty so refills of the selections didn't get replaced. The food when we got it was ok. Maybe a holiday set back. Apart from that i would recommend it

Room Tip: We had a room on the lower floor near to the swimming pool perfect for us.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stopped here on business for 1 night in late August 2012. The reception staff were totally fine, the hotel was clean and all looked very nice.

My room was nice with a comfy bed, decent sized TV and air con.

My big bug bear with Holiday Inn's (all HI's...not just this one) is the food. Just as an example, it is nearly £5 for cheese on toast. The rest of the menu is no better. I just don't know how Holiday Inn can justify their utterly stupid food prices. I get annoyed every time I have to eat there as the prices are a joke. I didn't eat here (down to the prices)....so I cannot comment on the food quality, but HI really need to look at their charges.

Check out was handled fine. I was asked to mark the hotel out of 10. I said it would have been a good 9 as the hotel is fine, but it would be 7 or 8 down to the stupid food prices.

So that's my view of this hotel. Nice hotel...good location....pleasant staff....

The food prices are the same at all Holiday Inn's and not the fault of this hotel, so I have kept my food moaning separate....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rugby/Northampton, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear davep8080,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am more than happy you were satisfied with the condition of our hotel as well as your room accommodations and our staff. Please accept my apologies that the food served fell below your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that you will give our hotel another try.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Rochford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I only stayed here for one night last week, but was impressed from the outset. I have stayed in many of the IHG hotels around the world and this is one of the best Holiday Inns I have stayed at. Although only 1/2 km from the M1, the hotel is set in spacious, well manicured, grounds and the reception area is clean and modern. There is no motorway noise at all. I had a small executive room with 2 single beds which was clean and well equiped, if the beds a bit on the small side. The receptionist was pleasant and apologetic after a slight delay checking in. The evening meal was about average but the breakfast fresh and plentiful. A modern, clean hotel in a fantastic setting...excellent value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Easy to find, clean, well maintained and friendly staff. What more do you need?? The hotel has a great swimming pool. The breakfast choice extensive. We stayed here on route to London, we will be back. The staff were great too.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

First time ive stayed at this Holiday Inn. Standard HI decor and set up. Not a lot of character but you know exactly what to expect. The hotel was easy to find just off the M1, nice big free car park as well. Reception is in the main corridor from the entrance which is a bit narrow and I expect if its busy could be a bit of a traffic jam. No problems for me as just one person before. Friendly check in and the receptiomist asked if I wanted to add breakfast for 9.95 as it wasnt included in my rate. Ive had this at a couple of Holiday Inns now and worth checking the price lf room only as it can be cheaper to do this breakfast deal. My room was stardard stuff as well. Selection of pillows as usual. The bathroom was on the larger size for a HI which was nice even though I was by myself. I ate in the bar and that was good, it was certainly filling which is all you can hope for. A pint of lager was the standard 3:80 for a HI outside London. Nice atmosphere in the louge bar as well with a very nice outside terrace. Deffinately one of the better hotel bars. I didnt sleep too bad, the airconditioning seemed to switch itself off after a couple of hours but ive found this in many hotels.
Breakfast was the usual selections but to bd honest I was still quite full from the night. Check out was fine as well, service charge added for the bar meal I ordered at the bar which I got removed at check out. I would either like HI as a whole to add 10% to all menus or scrap it completely. To be charged a service charge when I go to the bar myself is bodering on being offensive. HI Rugby is no different than any others for this so it is not a complaint specifically levelled at this hotel. It was also nice to get a printed bill to check before payment which didnt happen at the last 2 I stayed at.
If this hotel is where you need to be then I would reclmmend. Good facilities and the staff were friendly. Would stay there again if in the area

• Stayed August 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

A good location, easy access and quiet. The absence of a lift is a surprise, and rooms -even Executive are a lower standard than most HI hotels. Low price reflects this. Staff are at the basic level of training, and never expect a speedy service in the restaurant in the evening. Food as others have said is poor to average. Avoid the fish & chips, fish is frozen grey and has no taste or flavour. Staff are pleasent, often apologising for delay in service. Breakfast is tasteless and poor, staff are good though.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Rugby/Northampton? Share your experiences!