“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kearton Country Hotel

Kearton Country Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Low Row
Kearton Country Hotel
You added Kearton Country Hotel to your Saves list
Thwaite, Low Row, Yorkshire Dales National Park DL11 6DR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Low Row
north east
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My family and i have been visiting the Kearton for over twenty four years now. We are now taking the third generation. The welcome, food and comfort can not be beaten anywhere and believe me I have stayed in a couple of five star Hotels recently that could do with learning some lessons from the Dantons and their staff.
No TV, radio, newspapers or signal on the mobile who could ask for more. If you want good value, excellant food and good company as well as suberb walking and mountain biking this is the place to be.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

My wife and I with two friends visted the Kearton Country Hotel in August 2010. We stayed two nights on a DBBB basis at £44.50pppn. We had planned our stay as a get away from it all walking holiday. From the monent we arrived we were made to feel very welcome, our room was a double with en-suite shower room. The room was clean and comfortable with a wonderfull view of the yorkshire dales.

the menu for our evening meal contained 4 or 5 choices of starter and 5 or 6 main courses. I had prawns with rice to start and chicken breast wrapped in bacon with spinach and cheese filling. Everything was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented including the accompanying vegtables. The desserts were superb with a wide selection, we all chose differently and sampled spoonfulls of each dessert, all were delicious and the presentaion was first class.

The breafast was very good, full english made with local swaledale products. After breakfast we needed a long walk in the dales to burn off all the extra calories.

The dinner meal on the second night was equally as good as the previous night and it was very apparent that the chef had great skills and took immense pride in the food he produced.

Overall we all enjoyed our stay at the Kearton, the staff were all courteous and helpfull throughout, the hotel is great value for money with excellent food and servive and suited us just fine allowing us to enjoy a peaceful quiet break with beautifull swaledale to explode right on the doorstep.

David West Durham

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

myself and my family stay regular at the kearton and have done so for the last god knows how many years. We have allways had fantastic service and great banter to the point where we feel we are part of the family .
the food is allways to a top standard( well done Lee) Or jackie whoever taught you to cook. haha. The bar is great , within sitting distance of a table, so nothing to strenuous after a hard days walk.
No telephone reception on mobiles, no television, just great company and excellent surroundings.
i would like to recommend people to the kearton , but feel i cant because if people go they will book up again and we cant get booked up and we feel as though we have missed out .
as my mum says why watch tv when you have all this.

cant wait to see you guys in December.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Well first impressions are everything well not with the kearton country hotel!! On first impressions it looked nice if a little bit remote in a small village. We parked and walked into the tea room/restraunt again ok we checked in and where given our keys down hill from here I'm afraid. No one took us up to our room the keys where just thrust opon us as something muttered about it being up the stairs NICE!! So we went upstairs and where greeted by a soul less dark dirty corridor which wouldnt look out of place in any travel lodge or other down market chain hotel that hasnt been done up in a few years. DATED DATED DATED!! Our room was a small box with no view situtaed in between the kitchen extractor fan the bathroom was as big as the bedroom but had no bath and the bathroom was dirty still used cotton wool on the window sill from the previous occupcants. It got worse!! We went down for dinner and the menu choice was very limited wouldnt have booked it if I'd seen the menu really disappointing in an area with so much food heritage. I ended up with italian meats for starters and a steak for main. The starter was awful my poor friend kept apologizing I'm a major foodie I eat sleep work food. The starter consited of a slice of milano silami and a slice of cured italian ham cant have been hung long enough to be parma. I know I'm a food snob but really I'm not I just like value for money whether its £5 for a main or £50. The meat? was served with a bruschetta that was brushed with vegetable oil rather unpleasant and the houmous dip was like plastic tasteless topped with very cheap pimento stuffed olives I work in the catering industry and can spot stuff out of wholesale catelogues a mile off I have no objection to thsi I object to it being sold as something it isnt. At this point My boyfriend was feeding me his bread roll as I was joking I'd send him into hawes for a kebab later so he better not have anymore wine. We'd not had chance to stop for lunch! The main course slightly redeemed the meal well atleast one part of it did my main course was served and the plate was covered in homemade onion rings completely unexpected considering the steak was perfect aswell if a little over cooked for me medium rather than rare the only disappointment here where the chips how any chef can serve those onion rings with frozen chips I will never know I've served alot of steaks in my time my mum ran a pub kitchen and fresh cut chips really arent that difficult to cut you can even buy them ready chipped. When I asked I got mayo and wholegrain mustard both of poor quality but better than nothing. The dessert menu was a great suprise apparently all homemade neither me or my boyfriend could choose I went for baileys creme brulee I think they for got the baileys but as its one of my dessert island foods I'll forgive them it was a little over cooked for me but nice with perfect crunchy top. My boyfriend had the chocolate brownie which as a dessert I feel should have been richer with more cocoa and chocolate I own my own cake shop though and my mums brownies are awesome. Anyway back to the hotel we had a poor nights sleep and on waking up I realised there was no TV i the room I know its an escape and thats what I wanted but I like to wake up and watch the news just so its on in the background and in this day and age it seems like a strange thing to be missing from a room in that price bracket. All in anyway I wont be staying again I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone that appreciates character or is under 70

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Co.Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Just returned from a week-end at the Kearton Hotel.
Found this a very pleasant place to stay,excellent food complements to the chef.
Pleasant relaxing lounge,the lack of back ground music made us feel uncomfortable at times,as it was so quiet.Little disappointed with the room as we booked a double room and got a twin,no relaxing bath as advertised on the internet only the shower..As this was a short stay didn't pack any shampoo none in the room.In the evening after our long day out and our beautiful meal we like to go to our room to relax,but found there was no t.v so found it to be a little dull,not even a radio.No telephone in the room for an emergency (as we had no signal on mobile).Better greeting from the manager would have been appreciated.Expected more from the rooms they were very basic.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
scunthorpe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

stayed at this hotel for three days in early march,friendly staff and hosts. the meals were very very nice,and you had a good choice of menu.an excellent place to stay and relax.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Kearton Country Hotel? Share your experiences!