“Old School -” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner

You added Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Junction A1 / A66 Richmond | near Darlington, Scotch Corner DL10 6NR, England (Formerly Scotch Corner Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Old School -”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed her as a stop over on a long journey to Scotland. Pretty much a perfect stay. Check in was straight forward, room was well laid out, with enough space, bed comfortable, and I was not disturbed by noise from the road or other guests. The Wifi was reliable and not too slow. Dinner was well presented ( bar meal) and arrived in good time with great service, Breakfast was good too and the check out was efficient.

I really liked it - would definitely look to stay again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am so pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next in the area.

Keith Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stay in many holiday inns, most pretty drab. Great refurb very modern, rooms really nice for the money. Great hotel restaurant with good food and wine. Loverly modern bar. Have to say all staff very friendly, efficient and nice. (Funny smell at the minute but that's not the hotels fault)

• Stayed September 2013
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Many thanks for leaving your feedback regarding your nights stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night for my sons passing out which they offer discount rates for. Spacious family room,nice layout and very clean. The restaurant and food were good no complaints would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Holiday Inn Darlington. It’s great you hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Scotch Corner on Sunday, 1st September 2013. We were on our way north to a family funeral and decided to break our journey overnight to stay at a comfortable hotel and enjoy a relaxing meal. We were delighted with the hotel and our room - very modern and clean with everything we needed even an iron and ironing board. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We placed a reservation at reception for an evening meal at a time that would allow us plenty of time to relax afterwards.

We arrived at the restaurant on time, only to be told that they had no record of our reservation. However, they found us a table and took our order. 30 minutes later our soup arrived. Looked very good, but no spoons. Our spoons arrived 10 minutes later. The soup was excellent once we could eat it. The plates were cleared and then, after a further 40 minutes wait, our main course arrived. The excuse was that they were busy with a coach party and that it took the chef 25 minutes to cook the duck breast that my wife had ordered. I pointed out that we had been waiting for 40 mins and even I know that it doesn't take 25 minutes to cook a duck breast. There was no apology offered. My steak was cooked well, but when my wife tried to eat the duck, it wasn't medium, as ordered, it wasn't even rare, it was raw and tough and she was unable to cut it, let alone eat it. Had she eaten any, it could have given her food poisoning. She sent it back and decided just to eat the vegetables. However, the fries looked as though they had been reheated many times and they were dried out and inedible.

When we were given the bill, we were told that they had not charged us for our main course because of all the inconvenience. This was appreciated, but after 2 hours of poor service and lame excuses, we were anything but relaxed and refreshed. The food in the restaurant was extremely expensive for what it was and we regret not having a bar meal, which was a more varied menu and a lot cheaper.

It was such a disappointment that a very comfortable and all round excellent hotel could be let down by such inefficiency and lack of customer care in their restaurant. Problems do occur and mistakes do happen. If they had only come clean and said that they had obviously made a mistake and mislaid our order then we could have reconsidered and changed our order for something more readily available. They obviously had the poorly trained "B" Team on duty that evening or were severely under-staffed and unable to cope with the situation.

At breakfast the following morning, it was exactly the opposite. We had fantastic, efficient service and the food was excellent.

Would we stay at that hotel again? Maybe, but we would either have a bar meal or eat out. We would definitely not recommend the restaurant for an evening meal based on our experience.

Room Tip: None of the rooms appeared to have a decent view, it is next to a traffic island on the A1, but no t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith S, Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Holiday Inn Darlington. I apologies for the poor service you received in the restaurant that evening as this is not our usual level or service and hope to see you return in the near future.
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was really impressed with this hotel. I hadn't previously stayed in a Holiday Inn for about 6 years and my expectations were just that this was a cheap hotel and a place to rest my head for the night.

Value for money was excellent. The rooms were spacious and light. The beds were big and comfortable with a choice of pillows. The hotel offered a bar area and also served breakfast which had a good selection and was of a decent standard for a buffet style service.

the staff were really friendly and assisted with taxi bookings.

The hotel was decorated to a really high standard and never once did I feel like i was in a budget hotel - Well done Holiday Inn,

I would definitely stay here again If I was in the area

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Holiday Inn Darlington. It’s great to here you had such an enjoyable stay and hope to see you return in the near future.

We look forward to seeing you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed one night at Scotch Corner Holiday Inn and it was great except for the bed. The bed was too soft and we were rolling into each other all night. I'm sure it would be fine for one person but for a couple, it was uncomfortable.
However, it was a relaxing place to stay and I appreciated that the gym & pool were open from 630am until 10pm. They provide fresh towels and the change rooms/lockers were clean. The service was also friendly and professional.
Breakfast was great in the morning; the service was quick, the food was tasty. All in all, it was exactly what we were after for a 1 night stay - if only the bed was firm, it would have been ideal!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review in regards to your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the use of our facilities.

We take on board comments in regards to the mattress; we do check the condition of our mattresses on a regular basis to ensure all our guests get a comfortable night stay.

Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is technically 2 reviews for one as we visited twice on our travels down South and then back up North! ^_^

Firstly, Columbus Bar- Now a bit of history, I have always remembered travelling to Scotch Corner with my grandparents when I was little, and we were starting our holidays all over England, this was our 1st pit stop/bathroom break on the A1. I have fond memories of coming here to eat sandwiches and have a cup of tea/orange juice before we set off on our adventures. I'm sure over the years, many others will also have done this.

Keeping with tradition on a recent family visit down South, I persuaded my partner that this should be our first port of call. Sat-Nav programmed in and all that, I was quite looking forward to our visit together for the first time and keeping up with my family's tradition.

I wasn't disappointed! Although Holiday Inn now owns it and have completely transformed and modernised throughout, I still got the sense of being back at Scotch Corner and the memories that holds. It's been Beautifully done out and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. We were greeted by friendly staff, mid afternoon and were delighted to know they still do afternoon tea, *much delight in knowing they still embrace with the Hotel's History*. Sitting down into comfortable surroundings and eyeing they still have a Grande Piano, I still felt "at home" with the new décor.

Afternoon tea, arrived and we beheld a 3 tier tray of deliciousness, along with our tea we treated ourselves to Roast Beef and Coronation Chicken sandwiches, cut into bite size pieces and very tasty morsels they were too. Moving onto the 2nd plate, we had 1 plain and 1 fruit scone with lovely strawberry jam and clotted cream! Well and truly spoilt by perfectly done scones we managed to attempt the 3rd plate of a delightful selection of sweet little tarts, pastries and macaroons. Thankfully my partner has hollow legs as we left very contented and full!

Overall impressed by superb food, lovely surroundings and courteous staff, we had noticed the Italian restaurant and decided that our return trip would definitely be a chance to try out the restaurant on our way back! ^_^

---

Late evening on a Bank Holiday is when we planned our return, having missed all the other holiday goers on the roads, it was around 9 when we arrived to treat ourselves again at Scotch Corner this time to head further into the Hotel's spacious ground floor and into Fratello's.

There were 2 other couples seated, who looked to be enjoying themselves as we perused the menu and were treated again by friendly staff who didn't mind us rocking up out of nowhere so late in the evening. Sticking with the J20's *As we were both sharing the driving ^_^*

My partner, who could of quite easily ordered most of the menu! Opted for the Bolognese Pizza with a side order of chips and I liked the sound of Fratello's own Pizza, which consisted of Mozzarella cheese, Sundried Tomatoes, Salami, Parma Ham and Rocket with Red Onion Chutney. Both made in a Pizza Oven from Scratch *Partner greatly amused by watching the Chef, prepping and flipping the dough* situated to the side of the restaurant, so you know exactly what's happening with your food order. It didn't take long before we were presented with 2 beautifully, flavoursome and plentiful pizza's each with their own sturdy pizza cutter. The crust I might add is of the thin, traditional variety, much to mine and my Italian heritage's delight.

Pepper and Parmesan cheese offered and accepted, we tucked in and adored each and every mouthful. It was Bellissimo! Needless to say, again we were very satisfied and full on our departure. Kudos to our lovely waiter who also took the time to have a chat with us and seemed genuinely interested in our travels up from Peterborough all in one evening!

We left feeling very happy with both our experiences and knowing that we shall definitely be keeping up with new and old traditions as a couple, whether it's afternoon tea or eating out of the restaurant late at night, we shall certainly be back in the Future!

Long may it serve all who travel along the A1 in search of good food that isn't just from the Moto Services or a Fast Food Chain! ^_^ & who knows one day we may even stay as guests!

I'd highly recommend this place to anyone ^_^

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review regarding both your visits to the Holiday Inn Darlington. It’s great to see that you still enjoyed an afternoon tea in the hotel just as much as when you were younger.
All our staff aim to provide excellent and efficient service ensure all our customers feel welcome and have an enjoyable visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.

Keith Stewart

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!