“Great makeover” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner

You added Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Junction A1 / A66 Richmond | near Darlington, Scotch Corner DL10 6NR, England (Formerly Scotch Corner Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
London, United Kingdom
“Great makeover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel has been recently revived , and well worth considering. The hotel has been there almost since the Romans came by , and is in a great location for exploring places in the north east. despite being close to the A1M we heard nothing all night.
Rooms have been very well updated, effective A/c and good clean bathrooms.
The entrance area, bar and lounge are nicely planned and well laid out.
We stayed for two nights during a weekend visiting some historical sights and towns, and we ate twice in the restaurant. ok so it was not gourmet, but it was trying hard and the food was acceptable for this type of hotel ( which is a pleasant surprise as we are a but fussy!)
Breakfast was included in our deal , and was basic and adequate for the price.
Staff throughout we're helpful and friendly and keen to please.
There is even a free to use pool, gym and sauna complex , which was well managed and a welcome extra facility- again very welcoming staff.
We are not fans of Holiday Inn's anywhere in the world, but this was excellent value , well managed and a great location.
We booked via Expedia and the prices for the weekend were a bargain.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back- don't look out the windows as the view is not the purpose. These room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were very impressed for the price you paid. It is also lovely to read that our staff were friendly and helpful!

We look forward to you staying with us again.

Keith Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
sunderland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel with my husband and two children, made the reservation on the day of stay via telephone, booked two rooms as no family rooms available, no problem getting rooms next door. On arrival the reception area is very nicely decorated with a modern theme which runs throughout the hotel, check in staff were very pleasant and helpful, rooms were spotlessly clean, again nice and fresh and well kept, mini bar was nice touch with water, juice and kit kats which kids appreciated. We decided to order room service but the menu is limited, so headed to fratellos restaurant where staff were most helpful and let us choose from the menu and delivered two delicious pizzas to the room within half an hour. Unfortunately a good nights sleep did not happen mainly because of a party in bedroom next door, walls are very thin and the doors make awful noise when shutting, after asking neighbours to keep noise down I had to ring reception who were very helpful and things quieted down by 3am. We were allocated rooms on the side of the A66 which if you are a light sleeper may cause problems I have since been told there is rooms at back of hotel which are much quieter. Had a word with hotel manager the next morning who was most sympathetic to the noise disturbances and ensured us if we visited again we would be allocated the quieter rooms, obviously can't guarantee the neighbours! Breakfast was very good, then kids and husband enjoyed use of pool, changing areas and showers also very modern and clean. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel but if you are a light sleeper ensure you request a quieter room.

Room Tip: Back of hotel, high floor , away from road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback - It is great to read such lovely comments regarding the hotel, staff and service we provide! Thank you!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel has had a complete refurb and is very modern inside, the outside certaily doesnt look like the inside.
The rooms are spacious, modern and clean, little things like complimentary drinks in the mini bar and chocolate biscuits goes a long way.
The staff are very pleasant and helpful, the breakfast is pretty good too, its plentiful although (my pet hate) I had to make my own toast

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Holiday Inn Darlington. It’s great to here you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you return in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Let's start at the beginning should we. When I rang up the hotel to book a room I was greeted by a very Happy and most helpful Reservationist called Vicky she was fantastic and helped me book the best room for my stay, I booked an executive king room on Dinner Bed and Breakfast. On arrival at the hotel I was greeted by Donna another very happy employee she was the Receptionist, the check in was speedy and the conversion was flowing couldn't have asked for any more. Once I got into my room it was perfect a massive room with a nice king size bed which I could lose myself in perfection, Vicky was right this was defiantly the room for me. so anyway I got myself cleaned up and had a wash in what I would class as a spa like bathroom, very clean and the glittery marble counters gave it that extra touch. Tea time I made my way down stairs to fratellos (the Italian restaurant) I was greeted by Joanne, again another very happy and very helpful employee (they all most love working here as I cannot fault any of them) I sat down and was given my menu, I was then giving complementary bead and olives which were to die for... I then choose the stake for my main meal and it was cooked to perfection, my complements to the chef I haven't had a stake cooked that well anywhere. I then went into the bar and had a few glasses of wine and chatted to the, yet again great employee Sean who kept me entertained and the drinks flowing. I then went upstairs to get into my hugeeee bed. On Check out I was greeted by another perfect member of staff Stephanie who just topped of my stay with the perfect ending. what an amazing hotel. the managers should be very proud of all their staff as each and every one of them made my stay that little bit extra special. Thank You Marley x

Room Tip: The Executive Rooms were beautiful,
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review regarding your recent stay with us.

All the staff regularly read trip advisor guest feedback and yours is great praise indeed. All the staff are very proud of the newly refurbished hotel and take pride in providing genuine and excellent customer service.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back to Darlington in the near future.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night and we love it ! Beautiful decor and comfortable room, the team in the hotel couldn't do enough, we had dinner in Fratello's which was perfection in good food coupled with great guest service. The hotel we found has a really nice fully equipped gym with pool etc which we used and soon has a very welcome addition of a new leading hairdressing salon opening mid April, not living miles away (Newcastle) we will definitely use the hotel again for business & pleasure. Nice stay and the hotel has been furnished to a great standard !
Great location too literally on the A1
No grumbles here !

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were very impressed with the hotel.

We hope you will return to stay with us again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed sat 23rd with myself, wife 2 kids and mother in law. My wife booked 3 rooms. We requested 2 adjoining. Arrived at 4. Told rooms were not ready. Donna, rwceprionoat was very apologetic. Took 30 mins for rooms to be ready. Then told that 'somebody' had moved the rooms and it was no longer possible to have adjoining rooms. They did try over the next half hour to sort it but to no avail. They ended up putting another single bed in a (now small) double room. We all trooperd down to dinner and it took 30 mins to have our order taken. Kids were getting very hungry. We chased the order to ask foe it to be sped up as at this stage kids were waiting a good 1hr15!. When they brought the order they had gotten it wrong. Advised they would hurry the chicken nuggets up and bring a fresh plate. Out came the fresh nuggets and luckily I cut them up for my son as they were raw inside!! Another order went through to the kitchen and when next batch came out they were fine. We ordered a second bottle of wine. When the wine came the waitress did not have a corkscrew. Took twenty minutes for her to come back. Too late food finished. In fairness they took the wine and the chicken nuggets off the bill. When we came to check out nextmorning Donna assured me that the manager was furious about the adjoining rooms and would be in touch. Was asked to leave my email address. Have heard absolutely nothing so obviously the manager was not that concerned!. We have stayed here a number of times now and would've said great hotel, clean, attentive staff etc but this has completely put us off. Aside from Donna, customer service and follow up very poor!

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear carlmbrennan,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments on Donna. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Hinckley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Summary
No heating, remote control not working for TV, 30 mins for just a burger & chips, Internet not working, lies regarding problems not fixed for months.

Be aware your room is not guaranteed and you may get transferred to the Mecure in Darlington.

I entered my double room after checking in and the room was cold. I immediately changed the heating dial to 24c. After 15 mins of no reaction, I put it up to 30c. After another 15 mins still no heat. I called for assistance and was advise that by putting it to 30c it cancels it out!? The manager changed it to 28c. 1 hour later - no heat!
Apparently they were fully booked and could not transfer me to another room - yet Central Reservations could book me two rooms! They advised me that they can OVER book by 5 rooms and they would transfer customers to another hotel - meaning your booking is not guaranteed.

While waiting for the heating, I wanted to watch TV, but the remote didn't work. I wanted to get on-line with the free Internet. It's free because it doesn't work or at times very slow.

To wait for the heating, I went to the bar for dinner. Only requested a burger and chips and it took all of 30 mins for it to come out.

There is a TV in one of the lounges - it doesn't work. 3 months ago I was told someone was coming out that week to fix it. Still not fixed. More lies.

The last time I stayed I had similar problems with heating, remote and Internet, but gave them the benefit of the doubt - wish I never had. It would seem the staff just make up stories to get by rather than solving any problems.

Simple advice - don't stay here if you want a simple over night stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Stuart W,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being reviewed by the management and actions will be taken accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!