“A great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Richmond
Lincolnshire
“A great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We love Frenchgate. The welcome you are given is homely, welcoming and with a smile. It is really great to be shown to your room and then to be taken through the workings of the room. (I would not have known where the plug was for the bath!). There is attention to detail throughout the hotel and restaurant. The Napoli Suite is my favourite, The 7 foot wide bed is sheer luxury and allows a very good restful sleep (didn't want to get up!). I enjoyed the egg bath (Yes it is shaped like half an egg!) Then the walk in shower - well what can I say? Just wonderful! David is a very warm host who definitely enjoys his work and his enthusiasm for Frenchgate is contagious. He has made some excellent developments to a well located town centre hotel. The restaurant - last year was great, but with the new chef Sean, it was superb. His love of fresh ingredients shows because the flavours in his dishes are just exquisite. The food is imaginative, colourful and are delivered to the table like works of art but ones that are eaten! Savour the first bite, discover delightful textures and await the explosions of flavour. I can't wait to return, it just gets better and better!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Dorking
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our third stay in as many years - and as good as ever. A new chef with some new ideas on the menu - my starter the pea velouté was as good as any I have ever tasted. The restaurant is terrific value for the quality of food served. We were in the Mousey Thompson suite as in previous years and had our customary great nights sleep. Thanks to all the team as always.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated finishing the Coast to Coast walk and our 20th wedding anniversary yesterday at the Frenchgate Hotel. What a fantastic finish! Room was good, service excellent and the food wonderful. Thanks to David and the Team.

• Stayed July 2013
Hartford cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed at the Frenchgate Hotel for 1 night whilst also taking a day trip to the races.
We arrived early and our room was ready which was super as I needed to freshen up (wee wee) We were shown to our room (a suite) on the very top floor and the owner helped me with my heavy case...in my defense I usually don't need so much for 1 night but we had been hotel hoping for 5 days. The hallways of the hotel are in a very poor condition, which was explained as a previous water leak that awaits insurance assessors - but it still looks very poor. Our room was pleasant enough for a guest house but not a 4 star hotel at the rates this one charges and the ceiling was in a very poor state, there is also some DIY painting going on as well as some strange electrics and no there is no air con ...there is a huge bath in the bedroom that did look a bit out of place, the owner did tell us the full history of the said bath and he did go on for some time regarding the shower and even gave instructions on the soft close toilet seat.... that’s a first for me ! All I wanted was for him to go away as I needed to pee! We were very polite and smiled several times as well as nod our heads in interest, he then described the bed as a wonderful double ...it wasn't it was 2 beds put together, in-fact there is a review from 2010 with a picture of the very same 2 beds stuck together :-)
We left for the races, the owner got us a taxi, we returned at 5.30ish we needed a sleep before dinner; we had travelled quite a bit that day and had booked dinner in the hotel for 8.00pm.
My other half did try to use the bath but it was taking so long to fill he gave up as the water comes out in a trickle!
We went down for dinner at 8.00 and was greeted by the owner in an all too jovial and over bearing manner, we went for a pre dinner drink and again we were friendly (I was in PR for years, I can do nice!) but this guy had something to say about everything - even telling me my hometown knew nothing about a local gin! We sat for dinner and were served throughout by a brilliant member of staff, nothing was too much. The food was all right but the chef is trying to be a bit too clever - but that is just our opinion some people like “too clever”.
Bed was as expected for 2 doubles pushed together, and I mean 2 beds with 2 headboards!
Up at 8.30 for breakfast as they stop serving at 9.30 - and was gone by 10 ish.
NB you will be asked for a tip for the staff when you pay the hotel bill, that’s another 1st for us, not that we minded because the guy that looked after us over dinner was fab but....
If I said a bit Faulty towers I don’t think I would be far wrong.
Staff and lady owner …you got it just right!
Oh and we did manage to cart our cases down from the top floor albeit a struggle.

In a nutshell – room a bit poor, food pretty good ( I was stuffed) , nice small hotel.
Will we stay again...no sorry we think not.

Saltburn-by-the-sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We recently spent Saturday night at the Frenchgate Hotel and Restaurant, and what a lovely time we had. We combined it with a trip to the wonderful Georgian Theatre, and were able to dine at six, to make that possible. The food was divine and the service second to none. From the moment we were warmly welcomed at reception, we knew we would enjoy the stay. All the staff were friendly, professional and good at their jobs. The owner was friendly and charming, popping in to see us in the dining room. The room and bathroom were lovely, and beds extremely comfortable. A lovely stay!

bromsgrove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Booked one night for our family to visit the barracks at Catterick. Holly greeted us with a smile and friendly manner that was reflected by all staff. Nothing was too much trouble with David, the owner, saying late to serve our latecomers to drinks. We booked 3 rooms , numbers 2 3 and 4 and they were all lovely and very stylish. The evening meal was delicious as were the marmalade vodkas that we drank all evening. Breakast was excellent and set us up for a busy day. We highly recommend this hotel and look forward to our return visit

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Just returned from an excellent overnight stay at the Frenchgate Hotel. What a wonderful experience. Everything was perfect. We were looking for a relaxing break to celebrate my birthday and certainly found it.

We entered the hotel to a very warm and friendly greeting from David the owner. His charismatic personality and his enthusiasm for his hotel was inspiring. The hotel room (No 5) was beautifully decorated, modern technology yet regaining character.

We opted to eat in the hotel and were not disappointed. Simply outstanding. Beautiful food and excellent service. We opted for the "wine flight", which was a great experience. The wine matched the food perfectly. The Whitby crab starter I opted for was probably the best starter I had ever tried!! Would certainly recommend any guest eat in the restaurant.

Breakfast again was lovely, an excellent variety.

A wonderful small hotel with a big heart.

Thank you for an excellent stay, we will certainly return, hopefully very soon

Room Tip: Room number 5