“breakdown” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Vintage Hotel

The Vintage Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Richmond
The Vintage Hotel
You added The Vintage Hotel to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   A66 Scotch Corner, Richmond DL10 6NP, England   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Richmond
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“breakdown”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

breaking down outside this hotel in june 2013 my husband and 5 year old grandson entered the premises and asked if they could use the toilets the man behind the bar directed them to were they were.my sister son and myself used the toilet as well.we were waiting on the AA to call us back with an estimated time for our car to be assessed then we were going to go back into the hotel to order dinner and a drink until the barman turned aggressive towards our grandchild.our grandchild left the toilet seconds before his dad and he entered the bar area without an adult which we know was wrong of him,when my son came from the toilet the barman was raising his voice to the child calling him a lunitic ,my son did not retaliate as we had no were else to go whilst waiting on breakdown,a customer from the hotel came to see how we were because he thought the barman to be rude and aggressive to us .this is RAC reccommended hotel and look how we were treated,i complained next day only to find this barman is the owner and he was even more abrupt and nasty this is why im writing this review,his loss as 5 meals drinks hotel for 5 people plus breakfasts he missed out on because of his attitude problem

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Well once again I find myself enjoy the delights of the vintage hotel, this is my 5th time staying here in two and a half years and it could be the good food or the very warm welcome you get or even the extremely clean rooms. I honestly love staying here and I would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed April 2013
Wetherby, West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Although we don't stay the night in the hotel, my friends and I meet here regularly for lunch. It's sort of equidistant for all of us and after stumbling across it years ago when our usual venue was closed for refurbishment, we have never gone anywhere else. Yes, the decor is dated. But as a previous reviewer stated, so what? Don't be put off by that. The food is excellent, and good value. Every time. Service is good, not too fussy, not too lax. What more can I say? Try it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My friend and I are travelling through Yorkshire and had a brilliant nights stay at The Vintage Hotel in Scotch Corner. We used it to travel into Richmond for the day- very easy on the bus X26 or X27 for (2.60 pounds one way). We arrived to the warmest welcome from the manager who was extremely kind and helpful, who we had been in contact with via phone. He was so welcoming and warm, helping us find the best room to suit our budget. The hotel was gorgeous, decked out in vintage atire. The room was clean, ridiculously comfy bed and spacious (#5). We opted to share a bathroom which was also clean and easily accessible. We enjoyed a Pimms at the bar with the manager, had a lovely chat and learnt all about the history of the hotel. Definitely recommend to stay here, close to Richmond and further travel into the Yorkshire Dales. Beautiful atmosphere, the menu looked yummy too! Great Value for money, especially for us backpackers who had previously been staying in hostels. Will definitely return to the Vintage Hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dunfermline
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed one night with out daughter in October 2011 and occupied the family room (#8) which is a large room with two single beds and a camp bed. Cost was £57.50 for one night not including any meals or breakfast.

Our host, Shaun, could not have been more helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We arrived at 7pm and saw several tables in the restaurant were occupied by diners - perhaps they were locals or visitor staying at the local Travelodge where there is only a Burger King nearby. We were quite tired and hungry after our journey from Scotland and did not want tio go elsewhere as it was raining. We were told that meals are available in the restaurant until 8.30pm. However a couple arrived after us at about 8.40pm and were offered a meal no problem. Whilst we were eating several people came in and ordered takeaway fish and chips and had a quick half at the bar whilst they were waiting for their fish to be prepared by the chef. Very pleasant.

The menu was extensive, there was a limited children's menu and also specials on the board. We didn't have a starter but were offered and accepted garlic bread (4 slices) which was prepared with cheese and quite delicious, we shared this whilst waiting for the meal to be prepared. There was an extensive winelist and lots of different beer on draught.

The meal when it came was wonderful. My husband had Chili which was wonderfully fragrant and prepared with fluffy rice and served with tortilla chips and sour cream. My daughter had chicken nuggets with chips and beans, the chips were hand cut and the nuggets were real chicken breast, none of the mashed up unidentifiable meat. Had she wanted they would have prepared a cut down version of one of the adult dishes. I had scampi which and had a choice of batter or breadcrumbs, and excellent salad and handcut chips served with wedge of lemon, vinegar and tartare sauce. Everything was freshly prepared and quite delicious. We could have chosen from an extensive range of starters if we wanted and one of the board specials was chicken curry. There were also various pies, liver with mash and vegetables. The chef has been there several years, we spoke to him the next day, he seemed a decent bloke. the portions were generous and the prices in the range 9.95 - 14.95. There may have been steaks which cost more and I think burgers and lasagne were cheaper, about 7.95. I am not sure what prices the specials came in at.

The dessert menu was extensive. My daughter had ice cream from the children's menu which they told me is made on the premises, my husband had jam roly poly with custard, I tried some and it was excellent, not too sweet. I had profiteroles with fresh cream. The presentation of the desserts was of a standard I would expect to see at a top restaurant. The dessert prices were about £4.90, £2.95 for the childrens ice cream.

On the way up to the room we passed a well stocked bar, a lounge with a flat screen tv showing sky and comfortable elather sofas. The downstairs guest bar toilets were clean and well supplied.

Upstairs in our room there were plenty of fresh towels, toiletries and soap. There was a kettle with tea and coffee making facilities and UHT milk and a goodie basket containing crisps and a chocolate bar and a bottle of fizzy water - all free. The room was a bit cold but quickly heated with an electic convector heater. There was an old fashioned TV with terrestrial channels, but the beds were warm and clean, lots of pillows. The carpet had been recently laid. The fittings and wardrobe were a bit old fashioned but everything was very clean. The bathroom sanitary ware was a rather odd pink colour which looked about 25 years old but spotlessly clean and plenty of hot water. The overall impression of the room was that apart from the carpet it was dated but clean. Everything worked - including the lights about the bed, and I have been in expensive hotels where the sockets have been cracked and lightbulbs have failed - none of that here. It was perfectly adequate and for the money, cheaper and cleaner than a travelodge.

A good nights sleep on firm beds, very little noise part from a little traffic noise outside. There was one other guest, a single gentleman who was situated in another part of the hotel.

In the morning the shower was a bit dribbly but plenty of hot water. The window in the bathroom is a bit lower than I would like, faces into the shower and out onto the garden at the rear - but the window soon steamed up so no-one could see!!

We had breakfast in the same restuarant as the night before which they ask you to book the night before. The chef is there between 8am and 10am. We ate at a table overlooking a field with blackberry bushes and tame rabbits playing on the grass which much amused my daughter! Cost was £7.95 per person. No child reduction but they made hot chocolate for my daughter as she doesn't drink tea or coffee. Plenty of cereal and fruit juice and as much brown and white toast as you wanted served with jam and marmalade. Cooked breakfast was light and filling - mushrooms, tomato, sausage, bacon and fried egg, and we asked for and were given beans as well. Everything freshly prepared in the kitchen by the chef. Spoke to the other guest and he had also dined in the restuarant and was well pleased with the food and the service and said he would come again. He said that the Travelodge down the road was full - have to wonder why, when they only have a Burger King or a Costa to eat at and pay the same price. They are also closer to the motorway, so it must be quite noisy.

No presssure to checkout, checkout time is 11 but we left around 10 after lingering in the lounge to watch the rugby. Enjoyed our stay and felt that despite the 1980's ambience that the stay was good value, service excellent and price not too bad - £140 for bed, breakfast and evening meal for 3 including a restaurant quality evening meal with plenty of booze!

Pros - Easy to find (just off the roundabout at Scotch Corner on thr A66 leading to Richmond). Plentiful parking (could have parked a bus in the car park, also our room overlooked the car). Attentive service, friendly staff, child friendly EXCELLENT FOOD, licensed, very clean, comfy beds, toiletries provided.

Cons - Room a bit cold, decor and fixtures a bit dated - but who really cares? Everything worked and they had a heater. They don't provide a hairdryer but I always bring my own anyway.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS. I don't know why this place isn't busier. The Scotch Corner Hotel up the road gets terrible reviews and is more expensive, so why do people keep staying there? they recently received a Trip Advisor sticker for all the good reviews they have received in 2011 and the other guest said he would be back. And if you don't believe me then read some of the other reviews. We certainly will be using them again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed over on a Friday night on way back to the Midlands to avoid traffic on M1.
Made very welcome by the owners and given a good size double room as the hotel was quiet.
Dinner in the bar was very good with attentive staff and I slept very well although situated on the A66.
Would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: If available please ask for room 1