“Superb B&B. Very welcoming to coast to coasters.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Frenchgate Guest House

Frenchgate Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
Frenchgate Guest House
You added Frenchgate Guest House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   66 French Gate, Richmond DL10 7AG, England   |
Ranked #22 of 43 Richmond B&B and Inns
UK
“Superb B&B. Very welcoming to coast to coasters.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic room (#4) and view. The room was beautifully decorated. The breakfast was excellent and the breakfast room/lounge had a fantastic view out over the surrounding plains.
Our host was very friendly and helpful, a knowledgeable walker himself. Top B&B.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Geneva
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The guest house is comfy and the food ok but the hospitality of the owner leaves a lot to be desired. I was staying there for one night (the night before my wedding) and having reserved 5 rooms for the rest of my grooms party all but one phoned up to book their room to find he had given them to other customers. As such my best man was also staying there but the morning of the wedding saw the problems begin. One of my grooms party had flown in from Switzerland and was given a telling off for arriving to put on his tails in my room! As if that was bad enough the owner would then not let us have a glass of champagne on the terrace in the sunshine as he didn't want us hanging around drinking. If we had been 10 lads in football shirts drinking Stella all day I could have seen his point but it was one glass of champagne on my wedding day. The guy is plain weird and the place is very much the modern fawlty towers. I'd never stay there again! And the shower didn't work!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
RalphRichmond, Owner at Frenchgate Guest House, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Very sorry that the arrangements turned out badly for you, was not my intention. I like to make people happy, not annoyed, motivated to writing destructive comments on their honeymoon.

You rang to book your party in which was Ok, sadly you would not act as security for them with your credit card details, therefore I held the rooms for a week as agreed, giving them all time to individually ring up and firm up the bookings. One person did but the others did not ring for over ten days later, by that time the word must have got round and other people booked with me, but I did hold the rooms initially.

You should have trusted your friends and acted as security for the all the reservation.

I need to know generally who is in the bed and breakfast for security and that if you have other friends coming in to see you , its polite and normal in England to tell the owner, very sorry you did not understand that. I did not tell him off at all, I expressed surprise that he was to use your room as changing room without telling me, your room was for you and I charged you accordingly, for single occupation. Later there was many people in your room

There was other major problems when you asked for a 10.30 am breakfast and implied that you wanted to be in the room till your wedding at 2.30pm for changing purposes. My check out time is 10 am and i agreed you could stay till 11am and have breakfast at nine. Leave your bags with your friend and change in another room later on.

At 10.55 you were still in the room with five others and asked if you could drink champagne on the terrace, you were making no effort to vacate your room and the room needed to changed for other guests due to arrive in few hours time, check out time is just what it says check out time.

We have a Duty of Care in England, the hand rails on the 15 metre high terrace are not complete and I have a 3 metre deep pond, I explained the former to you and by this time more bottles of champagne had appeared, (so much for your comment about one glass,) more lads had appeared and I was concerned about what might happen, on the terrace. Even if people want to go into an unsafe situation, you cannot allow people to harm themselves , even if they say it will be OK.

All this was about to happen, well after your check out time.

I'am a normal caring guy who wants to look after people and create the right environment for my guests to enjoy themselves, I'am not weird and everything works including the shower. You have attempted to damage my business, premeditated, coldly, callously, without a thought for the impact you may have on my life, what an awful thing to do.
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My two friends and I stayed here on our way through Richmond on the Coast to Coast walk. From the moment we stepped inside we could tell this was going to be a quality stay. The stylish welcoming hall leads through into a stunning conservatory lounge/breakfast area with a fantastic view out over the valley.

We had two adjoining rooms with a shared bathroom, and both were extremely smart and stylish with many special touches.

The owner, Ralph, is vey friendly and helpful and provided us with a lovely breakfast

I would highly recommend this venue

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We are finally back in beautiful Richmond and our favourite B & B, 66 Frenchgate Guest House. Having walked the C2C five times so far plus many additional trips to the UK and partial walks, we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else! We seem to run to Richmond to arrive at this beautiful guest house with it 's million dollar view. Aside from the amazing view, Ralph is a superb host who provides our every need. Lovely rooms with such comfortable beds we want to sleep all morning, bathrobes to lounge around in ( my personal favourite amenity), delicious breakfasts and a convenient central location. During the numerous times we have stayed at Fremchgate, Ralph has never failed to spoil us! We can never wait to return. All the comforts of home with a much better view!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Overall this is a good B&B, with very comfortable rooms and a friendly host in Ralph. We were quite happy during our 2 night stay but there were some minor things that could be improved. Although bathroom was clean, minor issues such as dusty towel rack and exhaust fan could be addressed (this sort of thing doesn't bother my boyfriend, but I tend to notice). The main bedroom however was very clean and comfortable. Richmond is a nice town and a good place to stop if you're driving through, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there. As vegetarians, breakfast was not well catered to - however there was an amazing view from this room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were welcomed warmly and professionally by Ralph throughout our stay and found our room comfortable, attractive and well equipped (including an unexpected bottle of wine and chocolates). The small shower room was more than compensated for by the fantastic view over the Swale and Easby Abbey, which was also a feature of the breakfast room/lounge. A good breakfast and easily accessible free wifi were also appreciated. It was easy to access the centre of the town from here and we didn't mind the return climb at all. All in all, a very good choice as a base for staying in a beautiful area, though a 5% surcharge for payment by credit card may seem a little excessive.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a fantastic view.