“A poor experience I hope is never repeated” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A poor experience I hope is never repeated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We arrived at the Bistro without a reservation (party of 5) but were told that plenty of tables were available. Were taken to a round table which had a dirty tablecloth from previous occupants of the table which had obviously recently been cleared. This would have been fine but the manager tried to seat us at the table and we had to request a clean cloth. We then stood around the restaurant uncomfortably for 5 minutes whilst he went get one. I was shocked when he returned with a white bed sheet. The waitress joked that all the tablecloths had been used and this was the only thing they could find. The sheet was so long that our feet kept getting tangled up but at least it was clean.
The table was laid for 4 people (we were obviously 5) and orders taken by a frazzled looking waitress who did not appear to know what she was doing. Had to check with the kitchen when we asked what the soup of the day was, and then returned to the kitchen again when we asked what the side vegetables were.
Orders taken and starters arrived quickly. All five were fantastic and the soup was particularly delicious.
When the five main courses arrived the meal took a turn for the worse. Four of the five mains came with both mashed and roast potatoes both of which were terrible. The mash was incredibly lumpy and tasteless and the roast pots so hard we couldn't cut them. Three great slabs of dry, tough beef were also served for the roast dinners and a pink looking breast of chicken (complete with feathers) the other meat of choice for one of our party. The vegetables were obviously frozen and a pile of wet soggy mush in two bowls with no seasoning. The only nice meal served was a vegetarian mushroom stroganoff.
It was obvious that we were unhappy with our meals and the waitress went to check with the manager and came back to inform us that one of the main courses had been removed from the bill. It was obvious that she was inexperienced and trying to help which is why we didn't have the heart to also point out that we had been overcharged on the house wine - it wasn't worth it as we will definitely NOT EVER be going back to this place.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

tamworth
“good intentions but meal dissappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We ate in the bar of the Black Lion having been recommended it by our bed breakfast place. I saw no evidence of a BIstro upstairs, but neither was I looking. Has it closed? We arriveds about 8.30pm on a Friday and it wasn't busy. By 9.00pm the whole place was deserted except for us. The food was not inspiring, but I felt that maybe other dishes on the menu would have been better and certainly there was a feeling that the place was trying hard. I had pork in a sauce with fresh veg, which was lovely, but served on a huge pile of heavy lumpy stilton mash which overwhelmed the good bits. The barbecue sauce on the chicken that my son had was just a thick gloop. There was no feeling that it would be nice to stay for coffee or pudding despite the pleasant staff. Not sure if this is still a pub or just restaurant. Having the tv on made it pub-like I suppose. The sauvignon blanc by the glass was nice and I almost feel a curiosity to eat there again should I be passing as I am sure it can do better.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great food, pleasant ambience - a reliable spot for a good meal in Richmond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We went to the Bistro with a very large group (18) so our table entirely filled the upstairs dining room. The chef came by and the waitress did an excellent job of fielding orders from such a big group. The food came out hot and well prepared and each person got just what they ordered! Great job.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
cumbria
“Absolutely hit the spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I happened upon this place by accident. I have to admit that I HATE motorway service areas and travel off road to find places to eat. On Saturday night I pitched up in Richmond looking for something to eat. I was looking for a basic pub meal with no real frills and that is what I got. I left having eat sufficient and that is all you can really ask in that sort of circumstance. If I had a criticism I would say that the food was slightly more expensive than I might have expected for the type of food it was. It would be nit picking but I add it for balance.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond
“This is an excellent experience with superb food in great surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

The bistro is now only open Thursdays to Saturdays and some Sunday lunchtimes.
This is apparently because they were trying to offer too many dining options at once.
The bistro concenrates on high quality food and service is excellent. The prices now range between £8.50 and £14.95 per course and the menu is the same both upstairs and in the bar downstairs. The specials, which are on offer Thursdays to Sundays throughout the hotel, are innovative and change from week to week. The lamb wellington is probably one of the best meals I have eaten in a long time. The fish pie is excellent and the new wine list provides great variety. One visit is not enough!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere