“I never complain, but this was appalling!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 50 Restaurants in Knaresborough
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Located on Waterside overlooking the River Nidd, Rascals offers a wide range of home cooked snacks, cakes and meals using locally sourced produce and is open daily throughout the year. It is well laid out with tables both inside and on the terrace overlooking the river. They serve a wide range of high quality ice cream and their coffee is is quite superb, many locals say that it is the best in the area. Their prices are sensible and it's well worth a visit.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“I never complain, but this was appalling!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Me and my boyfriend chose this cafe over the cafe across the road as it looked better value for money, we were wrong!
When you walk in to a cafe you expect to be seated. When we walked in, 3 members of staff were staring at us and left us standing at the door. I eventually had to say 'can we sit down?' And got a nod from the waitress as a reply.
We sat down in the corner and weren't approached by one of the three waitresses, we were just notified by a sticker in the menu that we had to get up ourselves to order. We didn't order much, just a vanilla iced coffee, caramel iced coffee, full breakfast and scampi. It was quiet in the cafe and they couldn't even get the flavour of the drinks right as she gave us butterscotch! We let this go because we like butterscotch anyway.
Our food came within 3 minutes of ordering (we thought that was strange), and to my disappointment when I cut into the scampi their was still poo in them! Each and every single one of my 8 pieces had the poo left in them and the chips were chewy and cold. The batter on the scampi was soggy and let off a nasty stench. My boyfriends sausages were raw in the middle and cold.
We had already paid and knew what the reply would be if we asked for a refund, so we left hungry and disappointed. At no point did anyone ask how our meal was or if we needed another drink.
All in all, I would never go there again! Rude staff, horrible food and terrible service.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Crewe, United Kingdom
“Just all round excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

A large party of us went in when it was already busy but we found space and still had very quick and friendly service. The home made soups are amazing and the chip butty was enormous ! A definate if you are in Knaresborough.
The fat rascals are also gorgeous, we took some home with us.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Middlesbrough
“Some fat, but none dirty...Rascals that is! (Google 'Fat Rascals' if tha's not from Yorkshire...)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were heading towards the cafe on the waterfront where we had been before, but the rain was falling and everyone had moved inside which meant we just missed the last table. So we happened upon Rascals, just behind it. Rascals reminded me of an Italian icecream parlour that I used to go in as a child, which was a nice thing to start with. We sat at a table that was in the window that must have just been vacated, and the waitress came over immediately and cleared and wiped the table. We ordered and very quickly received our drinks - a very decent cuppa and a lovely cup of filter coffee. We didn't have to wait long at all for our food, and it was lovely - I can't remember when I'd had a better bacon sandwich! Warm, soft bun and really hot delicious bacon which I would definitely go back for.
It had quite a nice atmosphere about it - families, couples, people with very well behaved dogs (seated inside and out), a bit of background music, and a nice view toward the river. Lovely friendly and efficient service. Some nice looking cakes and scones too! All in all I can't recommend this cafe highly enough.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrogate
“A proper cafe - friendly and popular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This delightful cafe is a regular halt for me and my friends when cycling through Knaresborough. Cyclists become cafe connoisseurs and I can certainly recommend this one although I always have the same coffee and rascal so can't say much about the other food other than that it looks good. Also I see that there are always 'regulars' in Rascals which must be an endorsement of the place, particularly as there are two other cafes within a stone' throw.

North England
“Cafe fun in Knaresborough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great service and so speedy on a busy NYD. Family fun at an outside table under a parasol. Yorkshire tea, rascals scones, great cappuccino and a freshly cooked plate of chips for a discerning grandson. He loved it. Tea, coffee and food all for £7.00!!!!! Lovely family run cafe. Visit Knaresborough, visit Rascals.

Visited January 2013