“nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
uk
“nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The food and service were very average.Considering the price of eating there,I feel its not good value and can recommend several other restraints within the vacinity.I had Lamb which was very fatty.The service was very slow and considering it was Christmas time,the atmosphere was not very joyous.

Visited December 2012
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Oh dear. What other restraints are you thinking of? I feel that we are all a jolly bunch down Harome way, but maybe the winter blues had appeared that day. Sorry AP.

Bologna, Italy
“50% Excellent - 50% Poor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We dined in early January, in the new extension.
Friendly welcome, nice amuse bouche and great bread.
Nice atmosphere once the place filled up a bit.
Waiter (Hungarian I think) was knowledgeable and friendly.
Menu sufficiently local, but still varied.
I ate great food but my partner (Italian) was very disappointed with the "watery" risotto and "not very tasty" haddock cassoulet.
My verdict was "great", his was "we'll give it one more chance"

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We look forward to our next 'chance'! Regards AP
“lovely atmosphere in the pub bit where we ate next to roaring fire, food tasted fab but starter portion really small and not war”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We arrived without booking and secured a seat next to the fire where we ate. Husband ordered venison which came with potatoes and veg on the side and all very delicious. I ordered a starter size of smoked haddock cassoulet as a main and although it tasted delicious, the portion was miniscule, smaller than a small ramekin. I was not warned that it would be three spoons and gone. My husband shared his veg but then the waitress commented several times about my having more food when she brought a cheese board to share and placed the truffles that came with husbands coffee in front of me and suggesting I needed more food again. It was a delicious meal but the prices are a bit exorbitant for the quantities.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Please put the heating on..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Star Inn today, after a family recommendation.

The restaurant seems to be split between a modern section and a more traditional/old section - we sat in the old section.

Having read some of the negative reviews before dining, we were looking for some of the negative elements from arrival to departure. We're pleased to say the welcome was reasonable - they couldn't find our reservation (given how quiet it was, if they really couldn't find us, they should have just taken us to a/our table). The overall service was excellent. They even explained what animal the taxidermy was sitting above my head.

When we arrived, we got offered some home made bread, that was lovely. The food overall was excellent - really can't complain.

Overall it was a delightful meal. I rated the place down due to the actual cost; about the same as Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester in London. Given the location and the lack of Michelin Star, it was very very expensive.

For an overall better dining experience I would recommend the Black Swan at Oldstead. Far far better.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
One of the strangest reviews we've had in a while: sorry you had nothing to complain about!

I've dined at 6 of Monsieur Ducasse's establishment and my experience was that the service charge would get you a set meal here, so not sure about your conclusion on prices!

Andrew
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
“Stunning venue, great character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited here after a recommendation. The venue is stunning, with cosy bar and restaurant downstairs, old monks' cloisters for coffee after the meal. The place is cluttered with pictures and bric-a-brac, but all in keeping with the venue.

Plenty of choice on the menu, good local ale and reasonable wine list. Food was generally very good, nice home made bread to start with starters which were good. Pork chops tasty albeit a wee bit too fatty, but sometimes expected and I didn't mind as the cider gravy was delicious. One friend had the Ox Cheek- shame as the meat was cooked nicely but the meat and sauce lacked flavour, though the horseradish risotto was very nice... Sweets were good too and nicely presented, poached pear was delicious as was the asiette of rhubarb sweets. All finished off with coffee and chocolates upstairs in the eaves. We left full and happy. Staff all pleasant and helpful. Would recommend and visit again. Thanks for an enjoyable afternoon.

Sweets were good

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your excellent comments and glad to hear you enjoyed the coffee loft, which is quite unique and dates back to the C14th, so lots of character! Hope to see you again soon. Andrew