“Disappointed with the Food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
You added The Star Inn to your Saves list
High Street, Harome YO62 5JE, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Harome B&B and Inns
UK
“Disappointed with the Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

I cannot comment on the accomodation, but I am constantly disappointed by the food at the Star. It's not that its awful, but it simpy isn't good enough for a michelin-starred restaurant. In recent visits, we have been told to call back later when trying to book a table, we've had to wait for almost an hour for our table to be ready, and the food has been not only dull, but served cold. I'd love to like The Star, because its a beautiful place and the service is pretty good, but if the food's not right, its not the place for me.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2005

My wife and I spent two nights here for our second anniversary and I cannot recommend the Star Inn enough. I booke din February 05 and it was worth the wait. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, the room was fantastic and dinner at the restaurant was superb! We will be back!

• Stayed July 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

Wow! What an indulgent 24 hours!

The eagerly-anticipated (and booked due to a late cancellation from another traveller) birthday present from my wife to me was a night at the Star and a dinner in the restaurant. We made it up into the Yorkshire Moors to the Star at Harome for 2pm on Friday afternoon - just in time to have a drink and a bite for lunch.

The bar (where we ate lunch) is a tiny little snug country pub affair - it seats SIXTEEN (that's about as small as pubs get, methinks). And it was rammed. There must have been FOURTEEN other people in there

I had a pint of Black Sheep bitter, which is our local brew but is rarely as good a pint as at Harome, and then switched to a glass of truly astounding house red (an Australian Cabernet Merlot) to accompany my lobster risotto. My wife had the same wine to go with her posh cheese and pickle sandwich (goat's cheese and wonderful rustic marmalade on black bread).

Our appetites sated, we were shown to the other end of the village of Harome to our cottage, which comprised a kitchen and dining area; and a bedroom and bathroom, all immaculately presented in a classic country style, all wrought iron, exposed stonework and period beams, but with luxury in the form of Molton Brown, Egyptian cotton and Moet & Chandon.

We indulged ourself in all three before strolling through the evening sun along the village back to the restaurant. After a gazpacho-with-dry-cured-ham appetiser, my wife chose a wild truffle risotto accompanied by a glass of divine South African Chenin Blanc, and i had a glass of Springbok Merlot myself to go with my potted grouse and cider chutney.

Main course was Pan-Roast Tail Fillet of Harome Reared Beef with Braised Shin, Fresh Horseradish Risotto, Dark Ale and Root Vegetable Juices (my wife), and Pan-Roast Local Fallow Roast Deer Saddle Steak with Venison 'Bolognaise', Tarragon & Yellow Chantrelle Mushroom Juices (me). Suffice to say, it was absolutely unbelievably wonderful.

We then had an assiette of puddings and retired to the loft for coffee, and before we knew it midnight had come and gone and it was time to leave - we were the only ones left in the restaurant!

This morning we woke up and made use of the Star's other signature touch - a hamper of goodies including the ingredients from their own farm shop to create a wonderful English breakfast - dry cured bacon, free range eggs, handmade sausages, black pudding, organic plum tomatoes, gargantuan mushrooms, fresh bread, pressed orange juice, French butter and freshly ground coffee. It was the perfect birthday present for me - the raw materials to create something truly delicious!

We finally said our farewells to The Star around 11. It was a memorable and totally indulgent stay, and one that i can recommend to anyone who wants to try truly innovative-and-yet-familiar cuisine, perfectly created and served in a friendly environment (where one feels truly welcome and treated as a guest) and would also like a romantic getaway in some measure of Yorkshire [i]grande luxe[/i].

• Stayed September 2005
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2005

The Star is a unique experience and anyone wishing to vist the Yorkshire countryside would be well recommended to stay here. Harome itself, whilst peaceful and pretty is not so full of character as it's close neighbour Helmsley but as there is only 3 miles between them I would still pick the Star as my accomodation of choice in visiting this beautiful area. The food is excellent but be warned - you have to book well in advance unless you want to perch on the edge of the bar to eat your michelin star food. Similarly the hotel rooms are booked up well in advance so don't expect any last minute deals. This is not a budget hotel - be prepared to pay upwards of £300 for a room and dinner for two for one night - but it is memorable. The reason i'm not giving an "excellent" rating? - the luxurious corner bath in our bedroom emitted more than a vague odour of "the countryside" when I ran the water but then maybe i'm too picky?

• Stayed May 2005
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

From the moment we arrived at this little hotel we felt welcome, comfortable and relaxed. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in room 3 which has a bath at the foot of the bed. Quite a small bathroom. Beautifully furnished room with cookies, sweets and drinks provided. Breakfast is served in the piggery with an enourmous round table that the guests sit around. You can help yourself to the buffet or a cooked breakfast, all lovely fresh local ingredients.

There is also a wonderful lounge with fireplace in the middle and lots of comfortable sofas with magazines and papers where the guests can enjoy themselves along with an honesty bar equipt with almost any drink you can think of. Even though it was the beginning of June the fire was lit and there were candles all over the place which made it all very cosy.

Across the road is the pub which serves michelin starred food - it is worth visiting Harome just for this. The food is wonderful, using many local ingredients. I would really recommend the Star dessert taster (miniatures of all desserts on the menu).

This is the ideal venue from which to explore the Yorkshire moors and nearby areas. You need to do a lot of walking so you don't feel so guilty when eating the wonderful meals.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

I booked The Barn in Black Eagle Cottage at the Star as part of a birthday present for my husband and it is ideal for this kind of break. The cottage is picture postcard pretty and the suite is ideal for the ultimate chill out.

Our conclusion from the weekend was that whilst the food and accommodation is fantastic, the service is strangely variable at the Star. It veered from being amazingly good to oddly remote. On arrival we were impressed, we were greeted by the barman who is worth his weight in gold, having impeccable manners and being genuinely friendly and well organised. He made us feel welcome and special. The room wasn't ready so we had lunch at The Star whilst waiting for our key. This was a mixed experience. The food was great, my husband loved the steak sandwich. However, I found a piece of ham on my vegetarian sandwich and a beetle in my salad! I was very discreet about raising this and didn't make a fuss, the waiter was apologetic. He took away my plate saying he'd speak to the chef. He then walked past our table at least four times and never made eye contact or spoke to us again. After a while I went into the bar and spoke with the owner, she was aware of the issue,very apologetic, polite and professional but I found it odd that no one had bothered to speak to us directly.

We were then escorted down to the cottage by a female member of staff who was again, friendly, warm and welcoming. The cottage comes with a mini-kitchen and a very, very generous hamper of delicious food for breakfast, snacks, nibbles and picnics. I'd rung in advance and was most impressed by the fact that the staff knew I was vegetarian and had made every effort to make sure I was happy with the food they had supplied aswell as plenty of meaty stuff for my husband. This level of care and attention was great, but seemed at odds with our lunchtime experience.

The big winner in The Barn is definitely the bathroom - particularly the huge claw foot bath and the lovely Molton Brown products. Only downsides -as I relaxed in the bath, I could hear every word of the conversation of the couple staying in the suite adjacent to the Barn. Also, there are a few coat hooks, but otherwise, nowhere to hang clothes. Otherwise, the Barn is ideal for a relaxing overnight stay to follow dinner. Dinner was fantastic - the food and wine were really good, living up to our expectations and the reputation of the place. Service was also extremely good, efficient and polite, friendly and not stuffy at all.

However, checking out on Sunday wasn't easy. Outside opening hours you are directed to the Star's corner shop, but at around 9am I found it hard to raise any kind of response and had to hammer on the door. When someone finally opened up, he was reasonably friendly, but I got the impression I was impinging on his time and at one point snapped at me that I'd left the door open. The female owner again made an appearance and was pleasant and friendly but I get the impression that The Star and it's many incarnations are really demanding of the owners time and as a result, the service is patchy and some of the details are missed. I've never found it difficult to pay my bill before! It's a shame, as these small things leave a lasting impression. Odd that for such great food and lovely surroundings we can't decide whether we'll go back or not....

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2004

Just spent two nights here. We had a truly wonderful and memorable stay. The Star is perfect in everyway from the food to the accommodation. Attention to detail is second to none. We stayed in a 15th century thatched cottage nearby to the pub which was delightful. It was a cottage you would be picture in a fairytale. We had hamper on arrival full of yummy goodies, full facilities are in the cottage so you can make your own breakfast, so when you awake from your comfy bed you can do as you please. We ate in The Star, and the food was outstanding, traditional, plenty of it and all delicious.

I cannot fault this place, it was truly a magical and wonderful experience

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!