“Meal” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
You added The Star Inn to your Saves list
High Street, Harome YO62 5JE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Harome B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Thornton le Moor, United Kingdom
“Meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am really confused by the reviews of the food here. On recommendation of others we went here for our anniversary and I have to say we were disappointed at the standard. Of the 10 or so meals out I've had this year I would rate this one around no5 with another restaurant not 10miles away far superior. My wife had asparagus for a starter, bitter with a small amount of mediocre holandaise. My smoked haddock was good but the large chunks of potato with it were undercooked. For main I had ore deer, this had a tasteless sauce and the usual veg with it . My wife had a risotto the had a domineering taste of garlic and to round it off I had a very dry curd tart. £100 was definitely £30 too much for the quality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I'm confused by the reviews of the food too, as they are generally all good - except yours! Fortunately, the consistency of the last 17 years has kept us on top of the pile and we trust that our 'offer' of that rare package of hospitality: service, food, ambience and accomodation will continue to please the majority of people.

I am surprised that you were surprised that your wife's Wild Garlic Risotto would have a "domineering taste of garlic ", as you put it. Similarly, several other diners who had the popular haddock dish apparently enjoyed it and obviously, if you had mentioned this at the time we could have done something about it. But maybe that wouldn't have sounded so good for your audience? AP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was our first trip to this beautiful inn and hotel but hopefully wont be our last. It came highly recommended and I have to say the whole experience did not disappoint. The welcome at reception was warm and friendly, and as the girl was from 'our neck of the woods' she made a good first impression. We were in room 6 which was so cosy, quirky and beautifully appointed. Having an outdoor space was a bonus (bit cold though so didnt use it) but it would be lovely in summer. We used the wonderful lounge to drink our champagne and the free foodie treats on offer were lovely. We dined at the inn both nights from the a la carte and then the fabulous 7 course tasting menu which had been specially prepared to suit our tastes and as I am a vegetarian it was spot on for me. Lots of locally sourced produce, and stuff from the hedgerows! The dining rooms were both wonderful, full of character and interesting things to look at. The service was slick and professional. Friendly but not obtrusive. Infact just perfect in every way! The night might have been topped off by saying hello and thanks to the chef(s) but they didn't emerge from the busy kitchen, so thanks for a wonderful meal !
Overall I would say this is one of the best breaks we've had, a total chance to unwind in beautiful surroundings. Big thank you.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms prone to noise from above, but not really a problem for us.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Very good, thanks. We like the fact you can have different dining experiences under 'one roof': a la carte, tasting, bar meals - one course or seven! Hope to meet you next time. I don't stray far from the 'cuisine'. (PS - just had some acoustic treatments done to the first floor floors... even better!) Cheers AP
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

As my son was unable to join us at the Star for a birthday celebration some 17 months ago we had promised that we would take him back. He was not disappointed. We were all spoilt for choice with the tempting descriptions on the menu but I have to say that my starter of the Whitby Woof goujons, followed by the venison was absolutely wonderful! We did manage to find room for dessert and the caramelized bread and butter pudding with whisky and oat ice cream made for the perfect ending to another fantastic evening at The Star! Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Better late than never! I'm pleased that everything was to your liking. Happy Belated Birthday to to whom it may concern. Also, I agree the Whisky and Oatmeal Ice Cream (a new one for us) was very nice indeed! Cheers AP
Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in March and very difficult to find anything to complain about. Room 1 was quaint qith a lovely bath at the bottom of the bed - decent sized bathroom and lots of nice little touches. Complimentary nibbles for afternoon tea with delicious sloe whisky was a real treat. The Inn itslef is full of character (bar and cornloft especially) and the food was absolutely wonderful and reasonably priced for the quality.

Thanks to all the staff who were very attentive and polite throughout.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I'm pleased you found it difficult to complain about anything. We think our C14th Inn oozes character from every low beam and wonky wall! The food's the easy bit! Thanks very much AP.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I found this place a few years ago on a quest for good hiking in the Moors and delicious beers of the North. Carrying my CAMRA Good Beer Book Guide as a help I ended up in the Star Inn almost by accident (it's quite off the beaten tracks), looking for a Black Sheep on the tap. The ambiance at the dinning room was exquisite. I seated at the bar with a Black Sheep, not sure if I would eat or not but I did stay for dinner. I still remember the food and the wine I got. It was the best meal I had in a restaurant in years: village shot pheasant and a bordeaux from Lamarque (where I had stayed the year before with friends). Although I had no expectation about British food, this was beyond any dreams. This place bring good memories still.

Room Tip: this is worth the detour
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
How much better can it get? In the depths of winter, decent ales, fine wines and"cuisine terroir"with all the he best Yorkshire has to offer. Write to Mr Michelin, if you would be so kind, and tell him of your experience. All the best AP.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place delivered on all fronts, excellent food, first class service and ambience that was and is very fitting for any special occasion!

The passion that all the staff have for this amazing place truly shows.

I am planning another visit very soon...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Always the complete experience from the great staff, the food and the accomodation, we aim to please! And it seems you had a wonderful time, so we must be getting something right. Please tell your friends and spread The Star Inn gospel far and wide!! Cheers AP.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Andrew at The Star is a gifted chef and a true professional. He has trained his staff to be discreet yet always available to fulfill guests' every whim. Fantastic food and ambience. The chocolate boats filled with chocolate and orange mousse were so delicious they left us all speechless!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
StarInnHarome, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Fantastic and thank you! We all try down Harome way to offer hospitality and quality, from myself to the staff - it's a team effort! Many thanks AP. PS I agree the choc boats are delicious aren't they!!!!

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!