“Returning again and again !!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Crows Nest Caravan Park to your Saves list
Crows Nest Caravan Park
Gristhorpe, Filey YO14 9PS, England   |
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Returning again and again !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 day weekend break in a 2013 caravan. I decided to read the reviews on here just out of interest and was really disappointed with the comments I was reading. We have been coming to crows nest for the last 5 years both camping and caravans and we love it. We have had various styles of caravan and all have been very clean and tidy and very comfortable. I've never seen dirty shower/toilet blocks (the old ones that were replaced maybe) but the new ones are loads bigger and a lot cleaner. As for the wind at the top of the hill .... It's all part of the experience and the view is fabulous, and it's great for kite flying. The kids play area is good for my 6 year old. I also can't understand people complaining about the wifi, we went away this weekend to get away from our iPads and games, but if you can't live without it you have to pay ! All in all it's a fabulous place and the only one that offers 2 night breaks and we will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ripon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We traveled from Ripon to Filey for a break by the sea. 2 hour drive later we arrived and were pointed over to a field with other tents scattered around in and found a spot to put our tent. The areas were very well maintained and free of rubbish. The tent field is extremely windy but that's what to expect from being near the cliffs. The toilet block was dirty and I didn't even feel like I wanted a shower as there was mud everywhere and no way of cleaning up after yourselves, the toilet block felt so cold and uncomfortable, I just think for £25 a night you should get more for your money. This is very much a place where groups come to get drunk and stay up all night shouting and keeping others up too!! All in all we just didnt have an enjoyable time here and wont be returning

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
South Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We booked for a two night stay on a tent pitch for me, my husband and our dog.

We paid a deposit by card online when we booked- and the first shock came when we went to pay the balance and we were charged £2.50 to use a debit card- which we hadn't been told about. We then discovered that the fish and chip shop was shut and only opened at weekends- which was disappointing to say the least.

The site itself is immaculate, all of the flower beds are colourful and well maintained. The grass everywhere was well cut and looked neat, tidy and litter free, however I did notice a lot of cigarette butts discarded throughout.

The area for tents was near the cliff top- which was extremely windy, but you kind of expect when you elect to go camping in September. We had the entire area to ourselves and the toilet/shower blocks were very close.

The shower and toilet blocks were very clean and tidy and well equipped including hair dryers. Have seen no better anywhere else at campsites.

The washing up area is also very good with a number of sinks, draining racks and hot water. The launderette also appeared well equipped although we didn't use it.

The kids playground was very well maintained and had plenty to keep kids entertained.

The dogs exercise area was a lovely size and nice and secure to allow your dog to have a good run.

The shop was fairly well equipped and not badly priced to say where we were.

We didn't use the bar or the pool area so I can't really comment on them.

The thing that really ruined it for us were the foxes- now I like being one with nature as much as anyone, and animals in their own areas looks wonderful. In fact when we had finished our dinner and were getting ready to watch a film on iPad a couple of foxes came over to our tent, which was fine as my husband was able to distract the dog to prevent an incident, and we both commented how lovely it was to see the foxes- an opinion that changed a few hours later. We were laid in bed (our tent is a six sleeper with two separate bedrooms with a communal area between) when I was woken up by a scrabbling noise at the side of the tent- enough that it made the dog jump. After shining my torch through the tent- whatever it was went away. About an hour later I was woken again and this time with good reason as I could hear something right outside of the sleeping part of our tent shuffling around and making a fair old noise. I called out and again flashed the torch and it/they ran away. The trouble was as this was the early hours of the morning I was so on edge, as we're my husband and the dog that none of us managed to get any sleep until about five thirty in the morning. We then got up at half nine to find that my husbands shoes were gone- they had been just outside the sleeping part of our tent within the main confines of our tent. After a bit of investigation they were found out on the grass about a hundred yards away!

After checking the rest of the tent we discovered that our roll of bin liners and the bag of dog food were also missing! Although we see the funny side of it and have both laughed about it I wouldn't have been very impressed if my dog had been injured or we had had a small child with us.

Although we have laughed about it, we still packed up and left after one night rather than the two we had paid/booked for, as we couldn't face another night being burgled by foxes.

All in all we would not return, the scenery was beautiful and the site was clean and tidy- but I wouldn't want to risk the same happening again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
leicetser
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We camped on the pitches with a sea view. The views were lovely however due to being on the edge it was windy. I would recommend taking wind breaks as cooking was difficult in the winds.

The shower and toilet facilities were warm and clean.

We only went into the clubhouse for one drink whilst waiting for a taxi to town. There was a good atmosphere and live entertainment was scheduled for later in the evening.

The cost of a tent pitch was £25 which we felt was expensive compared to other sites.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I hadn't booked any sites as the weekend away was a last min decision. We drove up to Scarborough late friday eve and after being turned away from several places because I hadn't pre booked (There were many empty pitches, do these people not want to earn a living) Cheryl (great barmaid) said there was space, and explained where the pitches were, Job done.
The pitches were large (swamped my little two man tent) and tidy and there was a very clean toilet/shower block close to the camping area.
There was no entertainment on in the bar although it was out of season so wouldn't have expected any.
The bar prices were reasonable and there was a jukebox and a pool table if you fancied a game.
There are buses which run regular to Scarborough and surrounding coastal towns (although tbh if there were several of you a taxi could work out cheaper)
We only stayed one night as we wanted to get closer to Scarborough although as it happens we only ended up about a mile closer so if we were to go again we would stay there
PS if you love wild life, take a torch out in the dark and check out the foxes running around the site.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week's stay at Crows Nest. Overall we were happy with our stay. My family of 8 stayed in a 3 berth static caravan. The caravan was clean and tidy and seemed quite modern. However there were a few things that I was rather disappointed with. Firstly, we paid £20 for a week's wifi upon arrival. But weren't told the code given is for one device. We then had to pay out a extra £20 per device to link our other iPads/laptops. And to top it off the signal was shocking. Could only find signal in one room and that would keep cutting out. The chairs in living/dining room were unsafe. The legs are just slotted into the frame and on our first night when my 70yr old father sat down, the chair collapsed and he fell to the floor missing his head on the kitchen side by mm's?! The caravan was described as an 8 berth. I even phoned two months prior to arrival to confirm this was correct. There was no sofa bed in the living area, just the sofa to sleep on. And there were only 6 sets of plates, mugs, cutlery, so we had to go buy plastic plates and cutlery from a nearby shop! These few things let the park down. The shop was well stocked and priced fairly. The fish n chip takeaway was one of the best we've had and again priced very fairly. The swimming pool looked ok but rather small. The pub and entertainment was good and often busy. Would I visit again.......yes.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend arranged a last minute camping trip at crows nest. When we called to book, we were told because it was bank holiday we would be camping in the overflow field. Which wasn't a problem to us. The live entertainment was superb, especially 'big me' which were a group that performed on the Saturday evening. The drinks from the bar were very reasonably priced and there was a lot of selection. On the Saturday afternoon we had fish and chips from the takeaway on-site and I have never tasted fish quite like it. It was beautiful. My only complaint would be that were were no way near enough toilets on site to compesate for the busyness of the bank holiday weekend. The same applied for the showers. There were always long ques even out of peak times. But overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Crows Nest Caravan Park? Share your experiences!