“Can't stay away from this place.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Can't stay away from this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The title says it all.Once again had a great meal to their usual high standards.If you haven't been here before give the Oak a try.You won't be Disapointed.

• Visited November 2012

West Yorkshire
“Warm welcome and fab food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Made many visits in last few months food is fantastic with great hosts. A visit is a must when visiting Filey

Filey
“One Year On!! and then the BUFFET!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My family and I have now been visiting The Royal Oak at least once a week for the last year, or since Terry and Andy took over. I have tried to work my way through the menu but what with the changing specials etc. I have yet to get there!! So as a treat for all their regular customers on their 1st anniversary they laid on a buffet for us all, this I might not have ever had the pleasure of trying but boy was I glad to, not a soggy sandwich in sight!!! Platters of Ham, Beef, Turkey, Prawns, and more with a basket of fresh rolls of many types with butter to help yourself to, the sausage rolls where not the standard frozen type herb filled sausage meat and more meet than pastry, Indian nibbles, again not the standard frozen, roast potatoes and chicken legs all keeping warm in big heated dishes, tasty quiche, bowls of salad, potato salad, coleslaw, had I have been at a wedding I would not have been disappointed and this was just their standard buffet, once again I left feeling full to the brim with good food.
In my latest quest to get through the whole menu have had the Sweet and Sour Chicken well worth a try big balls of battered chicken with Rice or Chip or half and half and a gravy boat of sauce yummy!!! One day I may get through the menu, but if I do then I'll just have to start again!!

• Visited November 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely home cooked food and massive portions!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Me and my family visited the royal oak over the october half term as we saw reviews on here and as it was rated 5th/6th in all restaurants in filey. I called up to book as there was 7 of us and was told i would need to book but when we got there it was fairly quiet with one or two other tables in. I expected a bit more when i went in the pub as i had heard it was very kid friendly and there was things for the kids to do but there wasnt but they did cater for kids offering a nice menu not just nuggets and chips!!! Anyway in a nut shell i thought the food was lovely and it took me a while to decide what to get i chose the beef madras and it was delicious, my partner had the rump steak and it was cooked to perfection the only thing he said was bad was the chips as the oil needed changing as they were soggy and had black bits on them, can i just say i had an onion ring from him and it was gorgeous!!!! My daughter had kids fish and chips and ate the lot!!! The other 3 party members had homemade steak pie and i ended up finishing my dads as it was so tasty everyone said it was nice just too much of it!!!!! One point i would like to make was slow service as we asked for a sweet menu after our main course had been taken ( we wasnt offered by the waitress) then we had to ask again ten mins later for the menu and it was just the manager who brought a piece of paper over and read it out to us instead of us having a browse over etc. i cant complain about the desserts as they were spot on the cheese cake was amazing and the choc fudge also good. Overall food is lovely just service was a bit slow and seemed a bit unorganised which let it down (and the chips were soggy)i would defo reccommend this and i would go back next time i am in filey.

Steve M, General Manager at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Hi Clarebearleeds, Thankyou for your review and your overall satisfaction with your visit. I take on board the things you have said and will be having a word with the chef regarding the chips situation. We have already discussed the dessert menu and this is now sorted as we write the options on one of our specials boards.
The pub is indeed child friendly and has many games and toys for them to play with, unfortunately the weekend before you visited the games room had been used as an additional buffet area for a wedding reception, so all the games etc had been moved out, things are now back to normal, so just bad timing.
Anyway glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again soon.
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Very poor service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Bit confused as to why this pub has such excellent reviews. Was visiting filey and used trip advisor to find a nice pub to eat in. As it had such excellent reviews decided it looked like best place to go. Was quiet inside, just a few families eating. We ordered surf and turf (good portions but onion rings were far too big and not cooked properly, steak a bit overdone) and my partner had a beef roganjosh which was bland and not very spicy. Overall food was very average, nothing special. We asked beforehand if they took card payments as we had no cash, however when it come to paying there card machine had broken blaming the phone line. Don't feel they handled this very well, in the end we had to go to garage over the road and buy something to get cash back. We were offered no discounts for the inconvenience caused. Very bad service and if I was a local to the area would not be going back .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Steve M, General Manager at The Royal Oak, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thankyou for you review, and will respond to your criticism. Firstly you complain about bad service but haven't written anything in your review about the service you received, so I can't comment here.
You then state the onion rings were too big, I presume you are used to the small insignificant frozen mass produced ones, next time you are in a pub that offers home cooked food I suggest you ask them to cook you some microwaved onioin rings.
You then go on to complain about the steak, why didn't you raise this while in the pub?? It would have been rectified immediately.
Next item you say our curry was bland, again this is not out of a jar but all home made from scratch, if you wanted a hotter spicier curry these are available, again you could have raised this while in the pub.
Your last point about the card machine is really not fair at all, over the weekend we had a major system crash with our provider, (Talk Talk) so had no telephone lines, no internet and no card payment lines, exactly what are we supposed to do?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.