“Champagne Afternoon Tea” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Durham
“Champagne Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We visited for afternoon tea on Sunday 16th February, my husband chose the savoury "elevenses" option and myself the traditional afternoon tea. Both were fabulously presented, and included plenty of imaginitive delicious options for vegetarians, as we had informed the waiting staff of this on arrival.
The staff could not have made us more welcome, they were friendly and attentive but left us alone to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings with our glasses of champagne, until the food was served. We had a very pleasant afternoon and will definitely return in the future. Well done to all the staff for creating such a lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear karen56Durham,

Thank you for a wonderful review regarding your recent visit to Crathorne Hall.

I was really delighted that you enjoyed the full afternoon tea and elevenses which is always a special treat from the lovely freshly cut sandwiches to the naughty treats!!

We do change our afternoon tea treats throughout the year so I hope you I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

kind regards

Peter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, tranquil and peaceful. You enter through grand gates and a drive along a beautifully long winding driveway to the carpark (we arrived as about 60 people were exercising in it which is probably a weekly or one off but slightly surreal in the tranquil woodland of a valley). It is grand and vast with large staircases and corridors all beautifully decorated, with wonderful grassy and woodland grounds as well as beautifully ornate gardens. It was a really restful stay. Staying in the week only, we saw mainly solo business people staying who were all off early in the day and breakfast had a wonderful calm feel to it even at 7am, where you dine in a huge double height room with a beautiful carved stone fireplace and impressively large paintings on the walls.

The room was beautiful decorated with sumptuous deep colours and lots of fabric and curtains and separate blinds which really blocked out the light if you need it or pop blinds up the sun pokes through the curtain perfectly for people that like that like me. The bathroom was clean and fitted out with sparkling chrome and glass and beautiful stone tiles with a wonderfully warm towel rail. Heating is all on central heating radiators so you have to play with it a bit to get it right and the views from the room are something else. We were lucky enough to have our request met to have a balcony room which they did even last minute. Rolling valley with a river through it, it was magnificent to watch even on the overcast days.

Staying with my partner Duncan for the week who booked it, and both on business I was titled Mrs ?! on a few occasions which is a funny assumption to make these days, alas it made us chuckle, especially when we embarrassed the waitress who also assumed we weren't sharing a room, let alone a bed (god forbid) while dining at breakfast. It was all innocent in an attempt to give us a warm service which echoed throughout our stay, although sometimes inconsistant, in contrast on the plus side for instance, we were given a room change to a room with a balcony at last minute which was really lovely of the reception staff who were all fantastic and so polite, and the breakfast hostess was so much fun, personable, human and bubbly while remaining polite chatting away, making breakfast the best part of the day, however on other hand we had wrong orders twice on one occasion from room service menu but too late to sort out so I left it with a good apology from front desk, but received no further apology / refund explanation which I'd expect when technically I've signed and paid for something wrong, (however wrong items were left off bill we discovered at end of stay as was room service delivery so got it right there), staff knocked on door waking me up with a do not disturb sign instead of just popping it on the door as asked as it was missing, no room cleaning for 2 days (nor communication as to why it wasn't attempted) as I was in the room for 2 days, and then had a cleaner clean the room with me in it at my request without saying a word to me and generally sounding noticeably miserable and huffy (fair enough it's a hard unrewarding job, but if you're in the service trade (which I am) sometimes you have to put on a brave face with customers present no matter what, everyone is paid the service charges evenly so a cleaner should be just as presentable as a waiter) this inconsistancy might be due to a large volume of younger keen staff with a lack of presence of someone in charge (I didn't see anyone visibly in charge during my stay, although breakfast hostess seemed in charge a little but not visibly)

The room service food was delicious, and the cocktails we had sent up too were delicious, if a little thin and small on the side for a long glass but still delicious and cold and brought direct to the balcony on instruction from us without even knocking on the door so we could just sit and admire the view (now that's service in my eyes, listening to exactly what we wanted). The breakfast was so delicious. They cook to order all hot food (including porridge with cream or water if you're good !) and it comes out pretty fast. The ingredients are all local and ethical and delicious. They even have honey from the grounds which is in a small kilner jar which you'll have to spoon into a bowl yourself so don't miss it ! We tried most things from eggs benedict / royale, to waffles (which these had been made to order and not pre bought) fried breakfast, all were delicious. You can help yourself to all the usual continentals but the hot stuff comes out freshly made to order.

Overall this is a beautiful hotel with some really talented service personel (reception / breakfast) who will give you a wonderfully calm and peaceful stay in some beautiful countryside. Do go for a walk in the grounds and see the old derelict glass / gardening summer houses, there's a rich history to this place that you wont get just from staying inside the hotel. It's perfect for lavish business, romantic getaways (I would definitely spoil my partner here) and solo retreats to gaze and ponder. I will definitely go back, even not on business, this stay was particularly memorable.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the valley offer the best views, and there are only 2 rooms with balcony's whi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Tristan C

Thank you for your very kind review regarding your recent stay at Crathorne Hall.

I am always pleased to recieve construtive feedback from our guests and I was really delighted that overall you both enjoyed your stay with us and I did appreciate the detail as we continue to strive to exceed the expectations of our guests by offering the best and most friendly service that makes you feel at home.

All my team will be enjoying your review and I hope we may get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Crathorne Hall is a luxury country house hotel where we stay sometimes on visits to family nearby. It has proven in the past to be not only convenient, but also a really nice place to stay. Eleven years ago when we first visited it was freshly renovated to subtly update the grandeur of the original building, it now feels a bit jaded and down at heel.

On this trip we were only staying the one night on an unscheduled family trip and so declined the offer of a discounted upgrade. In hindsight probably a mistake; we were tucked away up in the attic, in a much smaller room that the grand rooms we have been used to on previous trips. The heating also seemed to battle this far up in the building. The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean but oh my goodness behind the TV cabinet was a nightmare of dust and cobwebs and underneath the bed was a pile of trash from previous inhabitants. I cannot abide dirt in any hotel, let alone upmarket hotels and the dirt in this room was inexcusable.

We took afternoon tea at Crathorne and the accompanying scones were acceptable. We did not have dinner at the Hotel on this trip. Breakfast was as superb as we remembered from previous visits with both my husband and I choosing the full English. I did not however appreciate being scolded by the breakfast restaurant manageress for my not waiting at my table long enough to order cooked food before I went to fetch myself a glass of juice and a yoghurt; I am nearly fifty years old, travel extensively, have stayed in more hotels across the world than I can remember and consider myself perfectly capable of making decisions about what, how and in which order I approach breakfast.

Perhaps time for Crathorne to drop the school rules attitude from staff in the dining room along with investing a bit more in cleaning staff?

Room Tip: Avoid the nursery / attic level. Paying for an upgrade on the main floor is worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Katherine K

Thank you for staying with us at Crathorne Hall.

I am always pleased to be sent construtive feedback from our guests and it was lovely to note that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I appreicate your points you have raised and as a business we do re-invest in the property every year and we also have planned maintenance to resolve any concerns as this is a large old building to look after. You will be pleased to know that we have already resolved the areas you have commented on and will continue to offer the best of environments and experiences to our guests.

Great to hear you thought our breakfast was 'superb' and we will continue to work hard in achieving our guests expectations through our friendly service and high standards.

I hope we may get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We decided to take exclusive use of Crathorne Hall for our wedding on New Years Eve 2013. We could not have be happier with our choice. The surroundings are gorgeous with fantastic views of the grounds from the rooms at the rear of the property. They are well furnished and comfortable, the Bridal Suite is amazing. The food is delicious, of a high standard and even for almost 80 guests was served in a timely way and hot.

The staff our outstanding - Jamie and Rachel were our wedding planners, Eli the concierge is really helpful and even cleaned my wellies! Alan the Chef went the extra mile to really look after our guests and even let us have a pudding not on the menu. He was happy to adapt the menu to suit us. Our own MC was guided through the day by the Crathorne team ensuring everything ran smoothly.

The rooms are all individually decorated and named which makes it feel unique - some of our guests even extended their stay. We spent quite a few nights there during the planning stage and felt at ease and taken care of.

The wedding team recommended the Sunshine Daze Band and Impact Technical for our fireworks both suppliers were first class. It is not easy arranging a wedding when you don't live nearby but Jamie and Rachel were always there to assist.

To summarise our wedding could not have been better, our guests had a fantastic time as did we! We will never forget the amazing efforts of all the team from the housekeeping staff, who managed to turnaround all the rooms by 1300 so our guests could get ready after long journeys, to the waiters and waitresses who were still smiling at 0130!

Peter the GM leads a great bunch of people at a lovely historic venue. If you are choosing a wedding venue or a night away go for Crathorne Hall - many of our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to.

Room Tip: Go for a room overlooking the valley.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RBBucks

What a great wedding this was at Crathorne Hall on New Years Eve!!

It was a real pleasure to meet you both before the wedding and the team and I were over the moon with your review.

A special day for a very special couple and we wish you all the best for many years to come!

I hope we will meet you both in the near future.

With Best Wishes

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Me and my partner stayed for dinner bed & breakfast at Craythorne.

First of all the grounds and rooms are beautiful. Immaculately kept and a friendly atmosphere. The hotel itself has historical heritage with lots of old paintings.

The highlight of the stay was the food. This was beautifully cooked and presented. We were served by Rachel for dinner who was very professional. Afterwards we had drinks in the bar mainly served by daniel who i couldnt praise enough. He made our evening. Very polite and makes a fantastic cocktail. This guy needs a pay rise ;)

We ate breakfast in the restaurant too and again service was fluent and friendly.

All in all a very nice stay, and we look forward to another visit soon.

Thank you.
Shaun

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rustyspoon85

Thank you for your very kind review regarding your recent visit to Crathorne Hall.

It was a real pleasure to have you both here and I was delighted that you both enjoyed the Levens Restaurant with it's 2 Rosette awarded food and the Chefs were really pleased with your comments

Rachel and Daniel were also really pleased with your comments about them and are shining stars with a natural and friendly personality which is what Crathorne Hall and other Hand Picked Hotels are all about when it comes to offering the best of experiences for our guests.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed one night during the wettest month on record in the UK and arguably the windiest/coldest night in January. The room 'Appleforth' was on the top floor and very exposed to the elements. The central heating battled and the warm towel rail was certainly set to luke-warm. The room could have done with a good dust and there was no soap provided. We arrived late afternoon on a Friday and found it difficult to attract any attention in the lounge to order tea. We didn't take dinner, instead opting to drive into the delightful town of Yarm. Breakfast was a highlight of the stay. We both opted for the Crathorne Hall Full Monty, a very tasty full-english breakfast. The black pudding and fried bread were notably good. The double espressos were disgusting, avoid. I'm not sure this is a hotel that I'd like to stay in for an extended period, one or two nights is probably optimum for this little gem that really needs some polishing.

Room Tip: Pay a few quid extra for an upgrade.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

It was a pleasure to read through the detail and great to hear you enjoyed your Full Breakfast which is always a very important meal to enjoy and I will be picking up on the other points you mentioned with my team so we continue to strive to offer the best of service.

I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Peter Llewellyn
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic stay at Crathorne Hall this past weekend.

I chose to upgrade our room when booking one of the dinner, bed and breakfast packages and was not disappointed. The suite was very spacious, the bed really comfortable and the roll top bath was a nice touch.

The staff in the hotel made our stay very special. Robert, who showed us to our room, was very knowledgable and Gloria who hosted us at afternoon tea and breakfast was fantastic.

Would strongly recommend a stay

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear reviewer,

Great to hear you had a fantastic time at Crathorne Hall.

Lovely to read that Robert and Gloria looked after you and I will make sure them and all the team know that you appreciate your stay with us.

Sounds like the upgrade was a 'hit' and I hope we will have the opporunity to welcome you back soon.

Peter Llewellyn

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!