“Inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We checked in straight away but then had to wait approx 10 mins to be shown to our room which was an avoidable wait as the lady was stood at reception with nothing to do whilst we were waiting. The man who escorted us carried our bags and showed us around the room which was a good service but would have been better without the wait.

The room was large with a lovely view. Bed was comfortable. The room was very hot but then in the walk in wardrobe through an adjoining door it was freezing! The bathroom was a little dated but fairly large. Selection of magazines in the room again a nice touch.

Pre dinner drinks in the bar is a very pleasant setting and service was very friendly. We were brought some free canapes in the bar. My meal was excellent unfortunately my wife's was average which as the hotel claims to pride itself on its food was very disappointing.

On checkout there was an enormous queue so we went for a short walk around the grounds. When we did get the bill later I had been charged for a bottle of wine which was included in our package. I asked for this to be removed which lead to a 5 min phone conversation whilst the receptionist checked with the office as she clearly did not believe me that it was included. When the wine was belatedly taken off the bill she made out as though it was being done as a favour!

Overall some aspects were excellent others average. If service and food can become more consistent I would consider staying again, but based on our experience I wouldn't.

Room Tip: ask for a romm at the back overlooking the valley
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Many thanks for your detailed review following your stay back in November, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed many aspects of your visit. It is disappointing to read of the inconsistent level of service your received throughout your stay and I am saddened that not of these points were raised sooner and also mentioned at the time so the team could ensure you left satisfied.

If you would like to discuss your comments further please do not hesitate to contact me on 01642 706661.

With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This hotel is beautiful, very grand and steeped in history. The staff are extremely helpful and courtious. The rooms are very tastefully done in keeping with the traditions of the past, my room was clean spacious and comfortable, as it is an old building there are drafts coming through some windows.
The breakfast was absolutely fine, well presented and service was good.
The prices in the restuarant are extremely high so I opted for the bar meal, the menu was extensive for a bar but £40.00 for two courses was way over the top and out of my business travel budget, so glad I didnt hit the restuarant. I had Steak for my mains but the hand cut chips tasted very greasy and I didnt finish them. I will definately be back but would have to dine in Yarm because of the prices

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review following your stay at Crathorne Hall. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after by the team, additionally that you found your room to spacious and comfortable.

We do offer a number of dining options at the Hall, the 2 Rosette Leven Restaurant is priced at £36 for 3 courses however for a more informal meal our Lounge or in room dining menus are priced from £7.50 upwards, all of these options can be take in the Leven restaurant. We also offer a chefs specials menu for our corporate guests which changes each evening, this menu is extremely popular with our residents and is priced from £14.95 to include a complimentary drink.

I hope to see you back at the Hall soon.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times, unfortunately undertaking business trips but would also love to stay for pleasure. This is a wonderful building and full of history. The rooms are beautiful, the food superb and all provided in a wonderful setting.
The jewel in the crown are the staff, from your arrival at reception to helping you with your bags to the your room, nothing is too much trouble.
The staff allow you to relax and enjoy your stay, safe in the knowledge that your every need will be met. There are no negatives try it for yourself you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your lovely review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, room and food and were so well looked after by the team. Reviews such as yours are invaluable for prospective future guests so I really do appreciate you taking the time to review your stay.
I hope to welcome you back to the Hall in the not too distant future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

This is possibly one of the worst hotels for service..firstly the room was filthy.. We stayed for 4 nights.. And the dirty glasses / plates we had on the first night still had not been cleared from the room and we're still there on checkout.
The covers on the bed were filthy,, and crisps that were on the floor of the room when we checked in were also still there on checkout..
The staff have no knowledge about the very over priced wine menu.. And infact
Every time we wanted a drink I had to walk up and down the corridors looking for a barman...

Slightly amazed of the number of good reviews ..

as thats certainly not the
Experience myself and my family had

• Stayed December 2012
I am very disappointed to read your review following your recent stay and subsequent letter of complaint.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our bedrooms throughout the hotel and the high standards of service and customer care that the team deliver. I am disappointed that none of your concerns were raised at any time during your stay, neither did you raise any of your issues during your ‘guest satisfaction’ phone call. We actively seek feedback from our guests during any stay and I would like to assure you, had you done so at the time, I am confident that my team would have done everything possible to ensure that changes could have taken place, ensuring that your expectations were met and you would have left fully satisfied with your stay.

As discussed in the response letter sent to you directly, the team on duty had to deal with your abusive and threatening behaviour, as such we had to adopt and take a zero tolerance approach to protect and allow the team to carry on with there work effectively, I feel this did have an impact on how we could deal with you during stay and allow us to behave naturally. However, I take on board that we remained professional throughout and as such you did alter your behaviour and conduct accordingly.
If you would still like to discuss this any further please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 01642 706661.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I visited Crathorne hall with a friend for an over night stay. From entering the hotel to checking out we were both treated fantastically by all of the staff. Our room although small was perfect with a lovely veiw. We didn't dine in the restaurant but instead opted for a snack, a cajun chicken sandwich and a smoked salmon salad, both were excellent. Will stay again its a special hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay, I am delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable break and the staff looked after you so well.
I hope to see you back at the Hall very soon.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant and friendly welcome and easy check in experience. I think a little more information could have been given when arrival regarding where to dine, have lunch and breakfast times. We did have to go back to reception to ask for this information.

the staff were excellent. Special mention to Jim who made us feel very at home when waiting to be seated for our meal - very friendly polite gentleman. The dining staff were again all wonderful nothing was an issue always smiling.

Food was absolutely beautiful not a bad word to say about it and wines reasonably priced.

The rooms where of a very high standard and the beds - wow - wish I could have brought that home. Black out curtains and no noise from either the hotel or outside absolute bliss.

Couple of concerns around the cleanliness of the rooms, both rooms that me and my friends had were full of cobwebs and even a dead fly! Simple things that could easily of been fixed with a feather duster. Otherwise it would have been a 5/5 stay. In the bathroom the front panel of the basin was hanging off, and mould is growing in the grout of the bathroom tiles.

I would definately stay again though!

• Stayed February 2013
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found our staff ‘excellent’ and have particularly passed on your comments to Jim who made you feel at home. I am delighted that you enjoyed a ‘beautiful’ meal during your stay. The beds, which you loved, have only recently been replaced.
Thank you for your comments regarding information you would have found useful, it is unfortunate that our porter was not on hand on this occasion to take you to your room and provide you with this information. I am disappointed that you experienced some housekeeping and maintenance issues in your room, I will discuss these problems with my staff immediately as it is not to the high standards that we deliver here at Crathorne. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Although very close to the A19, once in the grounds of this hotel you could be anywhere in the countryside. Arriving at night the grounds are impressive and the various stone carvings on the boundary walls almost give a foreboding feel as you approach the house.

The reception is not a straightforward find from the car park but the reception provided by staff is very good, as was the service from all staff during my stay.

I was upgraded to the Cathorne Suite which is huge - too big for a one person one night stay, but this is by no means being negative.

The bar is a sitting room with service and a TV was wheeled in for the England football.

Breakfast was excellent (full English).

I didn't dine but ordered a taxi from reception. This was the only negative and I suggest the hotel review its preferred taxi companies. My taxi driver could barely speak English, seemed to have minimal local knowledge and was a very poor driver.

Staying at this hotel is definitely and experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is true that Crathorne has the advantage of being easily accessible from main roads while still being surrounded by beautiful countryside. The back of the Hall in particular has beautiful views over the valley which you will have been able to see from the Crathorne Suite. The Crathorne Suite is the one of the largest rooms in the hotel, being used as the bridal suite, and is a fantastic room to stay in. I am glad that the service and the breakfast stuck out for you in particular. Thank you for your comments regarding the taxi service that was called for you during your stay, I will look into which taxi company we are using.

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!