“Excellent staff - Drab decor” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   A-19 to A-67 towards Yarm, Crathorne TS15 0AR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dunsmore, England
“Excellent staff - Drab decor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

It is very difficult to review this hotel because every single member of staff was helpful and made us feel welcome. The problems lie in several areas which, if addressed, could turn this hotel into a much better one.

Our room was large and on the second floor (no lift). It appeared to be have been refurbished but corners have been cut. We had two beds pushed together and the headboard was padded vinyl. Our lounge chair had no proper fabric on the back of it - just hessian. The decor throughout the hotel is dark and dingy and our bedroom was the same, although the curtains were opulent and the wallpaper was smart. The bathroom was similarly dark and uninviting with no window and horrible dark wood vinyl flooring adding to its lack of ambience. On the plus side, the shower was effective and we did like the space in the larger room. The views were wonderful and will be especially so in late Autumn with the leaves turning brown.

The bar is dark and has very low lighting. Service was pleasant but I would not stay in the bar longer than I had to. The restaurant was more attractive as there were white tablecloths to lift the mood, but the lounge is awful. Everything is dark. Crathorne Hall does feel like a stately home of the latter part of the 19th century with portraits of long-gone ancestors all over the place. I felt the whole building could do with a revamp, (skip the 20th century and move straight into the 21st!) Use of lighter colours for woodwork (especially those huge columns), walls, carpets and upholstery would work wonders - in my opinion! The mid-week rate of £150 was OK for the size of room and breakfast. I would honestly say do not pay full rate.

Dinner was not good value for money. We paid £36 per head for the evening meal and portion sizes were mean in the extreme. However, the poached smoked haddock and full English for breakfast were excellent, but there were only 2 croissants and one danish pastry left when we arrived for breakfast at 8.40 am. When we are in this area again I will go somewhere else but this was a good base for the North Yorkshire Moors. I just don't like the dark interiors, poor value evening meal and corners cut with interior decoration. If you like the dark Victorian style, this is for you. Great staff though!

Room Tip: Pay for a bigger one. The ones with views towards the hills are best.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments following your stay, whilst I am delighted to hear the team were helpful throughout your stay I am disappointed to read you found your room and the Hotel in your opinion ‘could do with a revamp.’ The Hotel Bedrooms and public areas were refurbished only 4 years ago and we very rarely receive any negative comments, so I am surprised to read you feel corners have been cut. Our Nancy Tennants Lounge is in the process of further refurbishment, new lighting and seating have been put into the Lounge just earlier this year. I am unaware that any feedback was provided to the team at the time of your stay and would have really liked the opportunity to meet with you to discuss your comments. Can I ask you call me on 01642 700398 to discuss your experience a little further or email me on mclayton@handpicked.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We were looking forward to a very special evening and first impressions were good. The hotel was beauful and the room was pretty and a good size. Unfortunately the food was average, the shower didn't work and the breakfast was particularly disappointing. The bar prices were extortionate and although this is to be expected in ahotel of this type it didn't help the experience. Although we had a nice time I would certainly hesitate before recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments following your stay, I am disappointed to read you did not overly enjoy your stay at the Hotel. I am unaware that any feedback was provided to the team at the time of your stay and would have liked to have met with you personally to discuss your feedback. Can I ask you call me on 01642 700398 to discuss your experience a little further or email me on mclayton@handpicked.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Very pleasant hotel with attentive staff and superb food.. Only fault that there was a slight smell if damp in the room

• Stayed October 2011
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay at the Hotel, I am pleased you were well looked after by the team during your stay. I will pass on your compliments to the Chef. Regarding the smell of damp which you noticed I will ensure my Housekeeping manager investigates this- thank you for bringing it to my attention, if you would like to discuss this in further detail, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I held my wedding reception at Crathorne in July 2011.

The wedding co-ordinators at the hotel are very helpful, quick to reply to emails, and ensured that the day ran seamlessly.

The grounds of the hotel are stunning and there is plenty of room for guests to wander around enjoying their welcome drinks. There are also lots of options for photography both inside and out.

The staff looked after us really well and were able to cater to any requests. The food was excellent, and was complimented by several guests.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Crathorne as a wedding venue that will seriously impress your guests and provide you with a perfect day. The rooms and particularly the bridal suite is amazing, very luxurious and huge! Breakfast the next day was also great.

• Liked — Stunning grounds
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Firstly many congratulations from all of the team here at Crathorne Hall, following your special day! I will pass on your thanks to the wedding co-ordinators and the whole team involved in looking after you on your wedding day- they will be delighted to hear your kind comments. I am absolutely delighted you and your guests had a great day & I hope to welcome you both back to the Hotel soon.

Kindest Regards and Best wishes to you both.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

we stayed at crathorne hall on 25th september for our first wedding anniversary, having married there last year. once again it was a brilliant stay, cant thank the staff enough for their excellent service. we were given the crathorne suite and there was an anniversary card and a box of truffles in our room when we arrived. we had a champagne afternoon tea which was delicious and our evening meal in the leven restaurant was superb. we have booked up again for next year.

Room Tip: the crathorne suite is worth the extra money, it is fabulous
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind comments following your stay at the Hotel, many congratulations to you both on your first anniversary! I am delighted you enjoyed your special stay with us and enjoyed the card and truffles we organised for you!

I have passed on your kind comments to the team, we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hall for many years to come.

Kindest Regards and my very best wishes to you both

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stayed here as part of a North Yorkshire weekend getaway with my girlfriend. As with other hotels in the 'Handpicked' range, the quality of the location and service was great. The rooms were comfortably appointed, and the bed was huge! Room service was prompt and efficient, and the overall level of service from the staff was excellent

The food in the restaurant was amazing, and seemed to pride itself in using local fresh ingredients.

As a 'Handpicked' Gold member, i was fortunate to have this paid for using loyalty vouchers - but would recommend this to anyone seeking a relaxing break in North Yorks.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
MarkClayton, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review following your stay at the Hotel back in March. I am so pleased you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay with us. Its particularly pleasing to hear that you use the Hand Picked collection frequently and have enjoyed the quality of location and standards so much you are now a Gold Club Member,

I have shared your kind words with the team who will take great pride in hearing them
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Everything was perfect, not least the beautiful setting in which your hotel resides. The check in and out was very smooth and Natalia was so pleasant and natural, she deserves a special mention for her welcoming smile and manner.

The upgrade we got was a surprise and the room was brilliant

Dear Pete,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel, I have passed your kind comments on to all of the team, in particular Natalia.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!