“Beautiful rural lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westholme Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aysgarth
Westholme Estate
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Aysgarth DL8 3SP , England   |
scotland
“Beautiful rural lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arrived for a family get together over Christmas coming from north and south. Lodge was lovely and warm and well equipped Plenty of instant hot water, comfortable accomodation and all we needed for a very enjoyable time. Hendersons on site restaurant was highly recommended but we had everything with us so didn't use it . Lovely views from the lodge and terrace with outside seating if the weather had suited. We had driving rain and gale force winds but were very cosy in the lodge. Had a problem with the tv when we arrived but it was sorted immediately. Low level lighting so that you have an uninterrupted view of the stars at night so torches needed in winter .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

327 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a perfect quiet getaway for couples, in my opinion.

I stayed with my partner. We shared a VIP lodge with a private hot tub. Luckily we had a private hot tub - it wasn't overlooked as most of the others were. I wouldn't want other people having to see me in swimwear!
Not sure whether I would have enjoyed it quite as much without a hot tub.

The nearest shops are quite far away so car is definitely recommended. There's nowhere for take out food so you either go to a local pub (a few within walking distance under 2 miles) or the on site restaurant.

The staff are okay - one man was rather rude but we only saw him once.

Would recommend this to anyone wanting somewhere quiet to stay. Excellent for walking holidays

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We booked five lodges with hot tubs so our extended family could get together to celebrate a twin 50th birthday. From the outset the staff were so helpful and very accommodating with all our ideas for our birthday celebration.

We were all impressed with the lodges and very much enjoyed the hot tubs. We had a party in the restaurant/bar Hendersons, on site and invited some other friends along too. The chef organised a menu with us, and we were able to use most of the restaurant, decorating it ourselves and putting on our own live music.

All the family had a wonderful, happy weekend. Thank you to Nick, Ash and Rice for helping us achieve an unforgettable birthday.

Room Tip: The 6 bed Laburnham was excellent
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in cabin number 14.. Hard to see at night, but eventually found it. Very hilly, so be careful In icy conditions.
Lovely restaurant and bar with free wifi.
Cabins had everything we needed, towels, dressing gowns and slippers, hair dyer, tea towel, washing up liquid, dish washer with tablets, almost fully equipped kitchen, even a coffee pot, toaster and microwave. Freshly made bread in the bread bin and a pint of milk in the fridge, olive oil, enough tea, coffee and sugar to start you off. Hot tub was perfect, although some reviews have stated a little hard to get into as there's no step up, but we managed fine. Decking a little slippery when wet. Tv with DVD player and iPod docking station.
Wasn't sure how to use the cooker, so ended up grilling my lasagne to start with!! These lodges are very warm if needed, with plenty of radiators in every room and also an electric fire in the lounge area. Beds are not the comfiest, but for a weekend they were fine. Not much to do local, so took a trip to Wensleydale Cheese factory, and sampled lots of cheese, and visited the little village there. The pubs there do lovely meals, but mostly finish serving meals at 9pm.
We had an amazing weekend there, really couldn't recommend it higher!! Although driving in, I spotted a lodge who's hot tub was just about facing the car park, was something like number 4/5... This lodge I would not have liked, absolutely no privacy at all. Ours, number 14 was great, and would go again tomorrow.
£50 card deposit needed as you check-in, this goes back in 5 days after check-out.
Very muddy in winter so take your wellies. And also maybe a torch, as there's very little light if you go out of your cabin at night.
All in all, I got this at a discounted price of just over £200 for Friday till Monday morning, and wasn't disappointed. A great find, and a great weekend away from the hustle and bustle of city life... Hardly any phone signal also was amazing!

• Stayed November 2013
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here for a long weekend with my boyfriend for a birthday treat. We had a VIP lodge with a hot-tub and it was definitely worth every last penny! The lodge was immaculately clean and there was a loaf of bread, milk, coffee, tea and even some oil for cooking provided!

The hot-tub was ready for us immediately and was quite large. The only downfall was the hot-tub instructions did not tell you how to use the jets. We had to work it out ourselves here's what we found:
+On the control dial the "jets" button turns on the strong bubbles
+Opposite the control dial submerged under the water there is a round pump which water is being projected from, if you turn this the jets then blast upward to make loads more bubbles.
+The lights are changeable, you do this by pressing the light button on the control dial. They will turn off and come back on a different colour, there's loads of colours to choose from.

We had such an enjoyable stay, everyone who worked there was friendly and helpful, we couldn't have asked for anything more! The bar and restaurant were pleasant and the prices were reasonable also in the bar there is also a log fire which was really nice too.

There are lots of walks to go on around the site and there is a local shop around a mile away. I would recommend that you take everything you need as the local shop doesn't have too much choice. We has such an enjoyable stay and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Driffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Having read the mixed bag of reviews on here before our visit it was very much wait and see. We were not at all disappointed and found only very minor faults. We stayed in a Sycamore VIP (No 54) lodge and there was my wife and I and our 3 year old daughter. Upon arrival it was dark so we couldn't see much of the landscape of the park but when we got into our cabin we weren't disappointed. All the rooms were very clean and just as we would expect them to be. The kitchen and its cutlery were also very clean and we had been left a bottle of milk in the fridge and a homemade bread loaf to welcome us! The hot tub looked absolutely lovely and it didn't take long for me to give it a try. Only minor criticism is that the hot tubs are not very well lit and they could be a bit more secluded from the neighbouring lodges.

As has been said there is not a great deal to do within walking distance but I think this was made clear enough on the website. Hawes and Leyburn are just a short drive (20 mins) away and slightly further afield are Ripon and Bedale. Even so we found everything we may need, such as food and supplies in Hawes and Leyburn. However, you needn't travel too far to be treat to a wonderful meal. Hendersons Bar on the camp serves absolutely fantastic food at a VERY reasonable price. The West Burton Lamb Henry is huge and kept my wife going for a couple of days! The staff in the bar were very friendly, especially with our 3 year old daughter who kept walking over to chat to them.

We did have the same problem as the previous reviewer, with the power going out overnight resulting in us waking up very cold! This was soon rectified by myself as I went outside to find the power had tripped off but a simple flick of the switch and it was back on. The maintenance staff came round every morning to make sure that the hot tub was clean and in good working order, which it was. Previous reviews have complained about their stocks of coffee, sugar and salt/pepper not being replenished, this is a SELF CATERING park and as a regular caravan user we were well prepared with our own stocks.

This holiday was booked as a quiet countryside retreat and this is exactly what we got. The comments about the access road and the roads on site are, I believe, totally unjustified. Yes they are narrow and steep but this is a site in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales and it is part of the location. Leaves are bound to fall in Autumn and without someone permanently clearing them this is unavoidable. Only criticism of the on site roads is they could be better lit, as we found when walking to the bar on a night.

Overall, a fantastic family holiday during which we celebrated my daughters 3rd birthday. She absolutely loved the cabin and also our morning walk to visit the horses, goats and chickens in the field behind our lodge. I can't help but think that the people posting overly critical reviews about this wonderful place are not accustomed to the countryside way of life.

The Watsons
Driffield, E.Yorks

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Before Check in I think the road in to the park needs to be mentioned it is a 17% gradient which is fairly steep and only passable by one car at a time not two. When covered in leafs and wet it is quite dangerous to drive up and down it.

Arrived and checked in for the 4pm check in time was informed our cabin had been swapped from 21 as booked to number 4 due to technical problems. cabin 21 has a full veranda and cabin 4 has part of a veranda so disappointed as we had the dog and couldn't sit out without having him on a lead.

our disappointment didn't end there. Now I understand we booked a rural retreat however there is literally no shops or villages that are within walking distance. We couldnt use the bar onsite as they told us on arrival no dogs allowed in (except there own that it) however at time of booking had been informed we could take our small dog in.

The cabin itself was very lovely inside and ample sized living area for 3 adults. we were travelling as a married couple and had taken my father for a treat. We had a twin room and a double and had given my father the double as we knew this would be too small for my husband and I. Husband is 6 foot 6 and Im not small. Thinking two standard singles would be better sized and we could push them together. The beds are not normal size singles however that wasn't the real problem, the biggest issue was the mattress. They were in such poor condition both the singles were past ruined. we could feel every single spring in each mattress which meant we ended up sleeping on the floor in the lounge area.

My father does have issues with walking he is elderly and uses a walking stick to help sometimes, now at home he walks my dog twice a day on the nice flat fields nearby however he couldnt even walk around the park as the roads are poorly maintained especially when wet again the leafs make it ever so slippy and everywhere has steep climbs.

On the first night we were sat in cabin and all the electrics went out my husband went to reception and a gentleman came to show him where the fuses were. he advised us this sometimes happens when you have lots of appliances on and to just flip the switches. our power cuts happened a further 3 times that night now the appliances we had on were tv, dishwasher and electric fire plus lights throughout the cabin.

I am sure anyone looking for a rural retreat where they want to stay onsite and be a recluse will love this place likewise any full on walkers who love trekking around hills will love this place, for us however we were led to believe this site was near to a village within walking distance and that the site was open to full use for guest with dogs but it just wasnt.

There is a saying make the best of what you have got but for us this just wasn't possible, the fact we got very little sleep meant we could not stick it out for the remainder of the stay. We made the decision to return home.

On check out the chap on reception didnt even apologise for the fact we had such a terrible experience. He kept saying to my husband "oh dear" and "mmmm" which is quite frustrating I think that fact we stayed for less than 50% of the holiday should have made them realise how awful we found it.

I also have to mention the staff who are at this site. When we were first given our keys we drove off to the cabin but had to wait whilst the maintenance people sat drinking their coffee. not a bad thing everyone deserves a break but they parked their quad and trailer on the access points to our cabins and when I waived to see if they would move out of the road and let me pass they looked at me like I was scum. I had to negotiate a steep incline and half d rive on a mud patch to pass them. One of them even shook his head and me as I drove past nice introduction eh!!! The second occasion we came across the quad driver was the next morning we were walking the dog and my father said "good morning" as you would do and the employee just ignored him. I wouldnt call them friendly or polite, the cleaning ladies completely different each one we encountered in our very short time there said hello.

Room Tip: make sure you research on the website and check the site plan for picking the best cabin. Then ensur...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westholme Estate? Share your experiences!