“Friendly and Accommodating” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Humber Royal Hotel

You added Humber Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Humber Royal Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Littlecoates Road, Grimsby DN34 4LX, England (Formerly Elizabeth Hotel Grimsby)   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Grimsby
Cambridge, England
“Friendly and Accommodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed at the Humber Royal on Christmas Day after visiting relatives for the festive period. I remembered the Humber Royal and its external appearance from some time ago when it belonged to a chain - I think it was Trusthouse Forte. The external appearance of the main block is not that bad but it is unlikely to win architectural awards.

The inside of the building was finished in a modern style with pleasant and muted colours. I stayed with my wife in a corner room which was well fitted with new bath and shower. The corner room for which I paid £78 for two people and breakfast, was a good size and larger than many hotel rooms. It was warm and came with tea and coffee making facilities and a very comfortable bed.

The breakfast was excellent complete with local produce cooked to order. The breakfast was far better than most hotels I have stayed at, particularly those where a buffet is provided.

All of the staff on duty on Christmas and Boxing Day were excellent. They were pleasant and very helpful.

The exterior of the low level conference centre attached to the main block could do with a paint and tidy up. The area between the hotel and the adjacent golf course groundsman's buildings could also do with a tidy.

Grimsby is not blessed with a range of qualitry hotels but the Humber Royal is definitely the, or one of the best. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are good but expect to pay a small premium.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
I’m really pleased that you chose to stay with us over the Festive Period and found the hotel to your liking. As you rightly point out we have a range of rooms from ‘standard’ to ‘superior’ to ‘deluxe’ (the one you treated yourselves to). All the rooms are of the same high standard but are enhanced by either a balcony or spacious corner positioning. We do pride ourselves on sourcing as many local produce as possible and strongly believe that a good breakfast is key to a good day. We really enjoyed looking after all our guests and I'm so proud of the way the team completely embrace the festive season. Thanks for highlighting a couple of areas where can hopefully make some improvements, it’s always good to see things through a fresh pair of eyes. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Grimsby.

Kind regards and a Happy New Year

Anne Bennett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Humber Royal Hotel in Grimsby doesn't look much from the outside but, it has been revamped to a superb standard. The room we stayed in was spotless and very welcoming. Had a cracking Christmas "do" there last night. Food was good and the waiting on staff worked so hard. The receptionist was very helpful and friendly. Friends of ours stayed over too and we had been put on different floors, at our request she jiggled things round so we were all on the same floor. The bar staff were friendly and polite despite the place being so busy. A good night was had by all . The only let down was the breakfast was not hot. Shame, but would stay there again. Thanks to all at The Humber Royal. Well done. :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

As I’ve said many time don’t judge a book by its cover, unfortunately we’re not very pretty from the outside but we certainly make up for that when you cross the threshold. I’m delighted you enjoyed your Christmas ‘do’ with us and very much appreciate your feedback concerning all departments. Naturally I was concerned to read your comments concerning a ‘cold ‘ breakfast and thank you for highlighting this. My Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager have reviewed this already and introduced further procedures across the board to hopefully eliminate this. On the whole it sounds like you had a fab party and I’m really pleased that you would stay with us again, we really appreciate your thanks and positive comments.

Hope to see you again soon.

Regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have stayed in a few hotels in Grimsby recently and this one gets top marks. Overlooking the Golf Course the rooms are well appointed and very comfy. Very pleasant staff that pay attention to detail makes for a relaxed stay. Excellent food, the restaurant is highly recommended. We will book again when next in town.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Golf Course are good - feels like you are on a holiday!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to add your comments onto Trip advisor. It’s good to know that you have sampled the competition in Grimsby and give the Humber Royal Hotel top marks! I am really pleased to hear that my team were attentive and pleasant and that you were able to enjoy a locally sourced meal in our Brasserie during your visit. I’ll certainly make sure your comments are shared with all concerned as it’s always encouraging to receive positive feedback for a job well done. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Not many quality hotels to choose from in this area but I was booked in by a work colleague. Dont be put off from the outside bland and office look building. Inside, good as any modern hotel, still slightly on the plane side but clean and tidy. Bedrooms and bathroom both very good and clean.

No downside to this hotel. Friendly staff, food is good even if they did forget to bring my garlic bread. Apparently the blonde women from How Clean Is Your House as been staying there for a few weeks, so it cant be that bad.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 1st floor and had no problems.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for helping to spread the word that Grimsby and the hotel are far from 'Grim'. As someone who obviously visits the area regularly I appreciate you acknowledging that we are Grimsby’s number one hotel. I’m pleased you found the team at the hotel friendly and thank you for pointing out how clean the rooms are - as confirmed by a famous guest in the know!. Hope to see you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just spent the weekend in Grimsby for an annual golf weekend with my sisters husband and his golfing friends. We stayed at the Humber Royal hotel in Grimsby and initially I was disappointed when we first drove up to the hotel as it is not the most attractive looking hotel and you think with it having a golf course it's location would be rural. I was not disappointed when we went inside, very modern, exceptionally clean and very nice down to earth staff. Our bedroom had a balcony overlooking the golf course and a large flat screen TV,excellent power shower and very spacious. We ate breakfast at the hotel and booked for the Michael bubleTribute act and Christmas dinner which again we could not fault.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
It was good to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us in early December. I'm glad we impressed you once you crossed the threshold. The Festive time is always a busy and exciting time for us - it was really pleasing to hear that our normal high standards of product, cleanliness, food quality and personal service were evident throughout this busy period. Now that your party has discovered what we have to offer I sincerely hope you will return for a further gathering in the near future.

Nottinghamshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I spend a lot of time in Grimsby working right now, and if I can't stay in the Humber Royal I'd rather just travel home instead.

The rooms are comfy, we furnished, with free wifi.

The staff are always friendly and helpful.

The food is always tasty and well prepared.

Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review following your visit to the hotel. I was really pleased to read that you consider The Humber Royal Hotel your number one choice in Grimsby, We aim to offer home from home comforts to all our guests so they can relax and enjoy their time with us. Many thanks for your recommendation - I hope to speak with you personally when you next visit.

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

First time at this hotel, good location, rooms are average size but clean and well equipped, staff are extremely friendly, food was of a high standard and eager to please.. Free parking, free wifi and overall was impressed when compared to other hotels in the Grimsby area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Humber Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!