“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. James Square, Grimsby DN31 1EP, England   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Grimsby
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked us into here for New Years Eve as it was close to where we were going....never ever again!
I'm disabled and we were told that they had walk in showers in the rooms so that was fine, when we arrived and went to our room I found it to have a bath in the bathroom (no shower) went downstairs to ask to change our room only to be told 'we don't have ANY disabled rooms' I was astounded that in this day and age this could happen. We were offered £10 off our room and the lady on the desk couldn't say sorry enough times.
This hotel is stuck firmly in the 70s and should be raised to the ground and built to today's standards.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James' Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Sharon
In response to your recent comments we are saddened that you feel you have been misguided regarding disabled facilities
in the hotel. We can only state that we do not have such facilities and do not advertise this in any way.

We assure you that our front of house, team are trained to make all potential guests aware of this fact and the facilities that we do offer.

The hotel does meet legal requirements as stated above, unfortunately we do not offer this facility and when guests call the hotel we explain and then it is left up to the guest to make their own decision.

We appreciate your comments regarding the duty receptionist in trying to rectify your issues and we would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely

Paul Grantley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

I only arrived very late and then left immediately after breakfast so experience is somewhat limited. However, a few things did give cause for comment. First, the free drink on arrival was a nice touch that I was not expecting. Second, the bed was quite small. This was not too much of any issue being solo, but I would not have been comfortable sharing the small double with my wife. Third, breakfast - the same old buffet service with comedy eggs and cardboard bacon. For a single night it was fine at the price.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James' Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Hotel. I was dissapointed to read your comments and can assure you that this will be taking up with the team. In regards to the beds there are all a standard size 4.6ft double bed. The breakfast we offer is alway recommended highly by many guest so i was shocked to read that the breakfast was not up to standard. I will investigate the issues you raised.
I thank you for your comments and i hope you will visit again so that we can reassure you that this is not the nromal standard we offer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

As someone who works away frequently, I stayed at the St James for a few nights whilst working in Grimsby. I have to say that for the price, I was very impressed. It was one of the most affordable hotels I have stayed in and I had a very enjoyable stay.

The hotel was slightly dated but clean and tidy. My room was clean and spacious and the food was lovely. The team on reception were lovely and very approachable. Overall, for the price, I was very impressed and will stay again in the future!

• Stayed October 2013
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James' Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay here at the St James Hotel. I am very pleased to read that you’ve had such a positive experience here with is, I will pass on your feedback to my team as I am sure they will be very pleased to hear of it.

Thanks again for taking the time to review us and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
General manager
Bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed at St James's hotel this week on the day of the horrendous winter storm. The hotel was booked through a Woucher deal. This included evening meal and breakfast. We found the hotel to be Value for Money. Our room was clean and everything we could wish for, the bed was comfortable. Although old fashioned in the respect that the hotel provided sheets and blankets rather than a duvet. The hotel is centrally positioned for shopping and there are a few watering holes close by. The restaurant provided a comprehensive menu and the food was enjoyable both at dinner and breakfast. All in all we had a good overnight stay at the hotel and I would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of booking a stay.

Room Tip: Room 108 is at the front of the hotel overlooking St James's church.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the St James Hotel, I am pleased to read that you had such a positive experience even in such adverse weather conditions.
My staff will be greatly encouraged by such positive feedback about both the cleanliness of your room and your enjoyment of the meals and menu in the resataurant.
Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back here in the future.
Kind Regards
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We frequently stay in hotels with groupon etc vouchers and this was a great choice! So yes they have a problem with noise from people rolling out of the pubs in the early hours but wouldn't you expect that in a town centre! Get a room at the back and you won't hear them.
The food was lovely and the staff the same. No internet but who minds for one night. We would stay again.... Great if you are on a shopping trip... 100 yards to shopping centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the St James Hotel. It is uplifting for you to describe us as a ‘great choice’ and incredibly encouraging for my staff to be complimented, as well as our food!

Unfortunately our internet was down due to a technical issue at the suppliers end – it is thankfully rectified now.

Grimsby is a lovely town and does have many shopping outlets which are well worth a visit as I’m sure you will agree.

I thank you again for your comment and hope to welcome you back here again in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have tried to hold back in regards to The St. James' but its possible the worst hotel I have stayed in for a very long time. It has a very dated interior which I don't have words to describe which follows through into the bedrooms. Currently the hotel has no internet, I am not sure if Grimsby has heard of the internet yet, which means contacting the outside world is a no go. To add to this the single glazed windows let all the sound in which isn't great when your being woken up at 1:30 am by Jeremy Kyle's finest rolling around outside your window. Furthering this the food isn't great - there are much nicer restaurants close to the hotel (see my other reviews). The few positives are:
- friendly staff
- central location
- cheap

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with your stay. I acknowledge that the hotel is somewhat dated and as stated in previous responses we are continuously investing in order to change this – it is just unfortunate that this will take time for us to get through the many different areas of the building.
Unfortunately at the time of your stay we didn’t have internet due to technical difficulties at the suppliers end. My staff did make people aware of the internet issue, and we also had signs up around the different areas, but unfortunately this was an issue that was completely out of our control. I completely understand your frustration at being ‘cut off’ from the outside world, indeed myself and the majority of my staff shared in your experience. I am pleased to say however that our supplier has rectified the problem at their end and the hotel is now connected again via free WIFI.

I thank you again for your review and wish you well.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Currently residing at st james and we are happy. After reading the reviews my hubby and i were dreading our stay here but we were pleasantly surprised. Its cheap, clean and perfectly fine. We have stayed in a lot worse for a lot more money!! We got a deal via wowcher for the stay a three course meal and breakfast all for £49. We are here on a little xmas shopping trip and its a stones throw away from freshney place. I think the reviews have been unfair. Yes its dated but its shouldnt be judged soley on that.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guests
Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay here at the St James Hotel. It is always uplifting to read such positive feedback. I do hope you managed to finish your Christmas shopping, and I hope I can welcome you to the hotel again in the future. Best wishes for the season.

Paul Grantley

Been to The St. James' Hotel Grimsby? Share your experiences!