“Second time unlucky!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grange Courtyard

The Grange Courtyard
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shepshed
The Grange Courtyard
You added The Grange Courtyard to your Saves list
Forest Street, Shepshed LE12 9DA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Shepshed B&B and Inns
hampshire
“Second time unlucky!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I must be a gluten for punishment as this was the second time that I gave the Grange a chance. The first time was bad but the second time was even worse. I'm not being mean here as the place is lovely and clean and the staff are friendly enough. The fly in the ointment is Linda the owner. She is less then friendly and does not treat you at all well. You are made to feel like a kid. Not my idea of what a host should be since you are paying £84 for the privilege of staying there. I got the distinct feeling that the young staff are also scared of her as well. It’s a real shame as the place is lovely; all it needs is that friendly touch added to it.

I don’t think that I’ll risk it a third time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Grimsby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Oh my god! well what can i say. If you want to be treat like a child at boarding school this is the place to be.On arrival your given rules and regulations before your key. Although the rooms are clean and quaint if my husband came out of the bathroom i had to stand at the other side of the bed to let him past. Very small paper thin, no good if next door came back late to drink from the 'so called bar' right outside your bedroom. Linda Lawrence,so thats her name, until then we called her Cruella. Our taxi driver added all the extra names the locals call her as she is known for her abrupt rudeness. Dont bother with breakfast, two morinings in a row i left the raw scrambled cold eggs and one rasher of cold bacon. Our friend dare not ask for a sausage and another did without food as she did not order the nightbefore. Thank you 'Grange' for the experience we are still laughing about it now

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

I have just returned from the best weekend with the girls. We had a spa day at Ragdale Hall and stayed at The Grange Courtyard. After booking our two night stay at The Grange my freind looked on Trip Advisor, she was mortified at the reviews. It described the landlady from hell. We decided to stick with it and go with an open mind. On arrival we were a little nervous and apprehensive. We met Albert who showed us to our room, it was a lovely surprise. It was very spacious and spotlessly clean. The shower was so powerful it was a challenge to get behind the curtain. We went out for a curry to a restaraunt called Popadoms we would reccomend it. Then before bed we paid a visit to the honesty bar. Because we were the only ones staying the first night it was a little spooky so we went back to our room. The next challenge was breakfast and meeting Linda. The next morning we were greeted very warmly by Linda and was shown into the dining room which is very old and contained some interesting little nick nacks but it was spotless. We had a freshly cooked full English it was very nice. The next night we went for a lovely Italian at Livio's which is wonderful, the restaruant has a fanatastic atmosphere and the food is delicious. The next morning we went to breakfast and once again we weren't dissapointed. All in all an excellent weekend. We could see why people might not get along with Linda because of her high standards and expectations i.e no mobile phones at breakfast, but If you respect her home and lodgings you will get along just fine andf have a comfortable stay in a lovely setting. The taxi company she uses for guests is excellent reasonbly priced and a freindly service. Give it a go I would be interested to see some other reviews with a more positive stance. I would go back

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Preston England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

WOW I suggest you read all the other reviews before this one as if I had I guess I may have chosen another place to stay however it WAS an experiance.
CHECK IN We disturbed a chap watching TV, he was OK but a bit authoritarian, suggested we had a continental breeakfast in the room - we were paying £80 and wanted a Full so he read the riot act about mobile phones at breakfast, a polite sign would have sufficed.
THE ROOM Suprisingly not too bad, others may not have been so lucky. we did have a toilet seat that was loose and would not stay up and there was a stale damp smell mainly in the kitchen. Other than the bed being small for a double it and the room was comfortable.
BREAKFAST Very disapointing, you will sit there no that one, amusing at first but it ware off when the toast came it was Eco friendly ( the only friendly thing about Breakfast) anyway we requested that it be shown a little more heat and it came back toally dried out.
The Full breakfast came and again we decided to be brave and ask for the Bacon to be cooked relegating the uncooked mushrooms to the side of the plate. Sadly the bacon was very salty so theextra energy used to cokk it more was also wasted. The couple who came in behind us were ushered to our table, they had the backbone to dare to sit on another the atmosphere froze. They did not complain about the bacon but left it uncooked untouched and even more fatty than ours.
THE CHECKOUT Linda the Boss went up to the Office in Icy silence as i crept in her shadow. For want of making polite conversation I let her know about the toilet seat in our room and suggested that the damp smell was from the damaged seal around our bath. She failed to take the oportunity to apologise and thank me for the information and chose to advise that no one else had reported this. The cleaner should have as guests should not have endured the inconveniance. Anyway i entered my PIN and in exchange for the receipt she held her hand open and said KEY! I was taken aback and she said RoomKey even more flabergasted I said my Wife is still in the Room I feared I would not get my Bill or card back until I fetched the KEY. There was no Thank you or how was your stay or where are you off to today. I followed her downstairs and bit the bullet and said Breakfast was a little disapointing, again rather than the expected reply of I'm sorry what was wrong she said Oh everybody else seems to like it. I explained that the toast was made from a poor quality bread and went to a sawdust texture that I could not eat, I suggested the atmosphere would be improved by a little backgraound music and told her that every plate tells a story that she should observe what was left on the plates from breakfast. she said that i was not a good guest - up till then we had only asked for the toast and bacon to be cooked more - so i said You're not very friendly are you?' to which she offered a seemingly rehearsed retort, i'm pleased we don't get many gusts like you!
My credit card was OK though it gave her £160 without a thanks.
The place should be perfect it just needs a bit of care - Customer care i guess is something Lady Linda will never be able to offer as it has to come from the heart not just switched on and off.
I am sending a sample of reviews along with this one to her as No one has ever complained before. Perhaps just perhaps she may recall one or two and realise that it is not everyone else that is wrong. She should loosen up, talk to people and make notes from the comments as she can then use the notes to make the place great. Its alright getting people there once but how many of us will return? This is where the money is in repeat business.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
teesside
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Well we had to stay at The Grange to see if the reviews were true about Linda and she certainly was rude to us. I'd like to see her go head to head with the Hotel Inspector, I think Linda would win. Add to that fact that the rooms are small, the walls are thin, the breakfast was very cheap and horrible and it cost £80 for a double I won't be staying there again. How the AA rates it as 5 stars I'll never know.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed here to attend Download Festival which was a 10 minute trip in the car. We stayed in a Deluxe room with a four poster bed. The rooms are all converted barns and really quaint. The rooms are very very poorly soundproofed but this is due to the building being so old and renovated. I took earplugs as i had read some of the reviews on here prior to going though and I couldn't hear a thing.

We chose to go with the continental breakfast having read some of the reviews of the cooked one on here and yes it was only toast, cereal fruit and yogurt but that's all we needed really. The staff were all really nice and made us feel welcome. I think you need to bear in mind when booking here that it is an usual rustic b&b and not a lavish hotel that you would get in the heart of the city. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay though and would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Leeds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

we have just returned from the grange and second all the previous comments. the room was extremly small,we had nowhere to walk round room let alone put anything. walls are paper thin (i am sure i could hear the man upstairs breathing) so any noise carried. everything from juice upwards is the cheapest you can buy and not very nice. the breakfast was cold and the bacon mostly fat
the owner linda was as rude as she is reputed to be and not welcoming at all. the rules and regulations are ridgid and do not make for a very pleasent stay.
overall our stay left us exhausted due to niose and the fact their were 4 of us in such a small room (our bathroom is bigger)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Grange Courtyard? Share your experiences!