“Happy to return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grange Courtyard

The Grange Courtyard
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shepshed
The Grange Courtyard
You added The Grange Courtyard to your Saves list
Forest Street, Shepshed LE12 9DA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Shepshed B&B and Inns
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Happy to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My boyfriend booked this hotel & when I looked at the reviews I was terrified. We prepared ourselves to be berated by Linda the Dragon. Linda was actually very polite and the room and breakfast were both really nice. We actually got a little disappointed when she didn't turn into a dragon. We were tempted to be late for breakfast just to see what would happen but thought this would be cruel! I actually really enjoyed my stay there and would be happy to return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

kingston upon hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at this clean, secure and quiet bnb. We found the rooms comfortable (if a little hot, but there was a heatwave) and enjoyed the use of fridge/kitchen, although communal and made best use of the free water/juice/biscuits.
Breakfast was yummy, although finishing serving at 830 means an early start, which is fine for those working away but we'd have liked a longer lie in. The lady who serves breakfast is lovely. There are booklets in the room explaining they don't want you to bring your phone to breakfast, which didn't cause us any problems.
The only downside was the landlady, who although had been fine with us the whole time, with the exception of a rather grumpy phonecall to confirm our arrival time, was very rude to us when we checked out, she tried to charge us too much and instead of apologising blamed the website. (we felt) tried to guilt us into paying the whole amount. All of a sudden things went very sour and when we thanked her for a lovely stay we received a short, "fine" and then made a hasty exit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
South Hams
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Booked into the family room which stated it slept 4 and had double and single beds. It doesn't, There were two double bed that just about fitted into the room. Teenage son and daughter not at all impressed. Shared kitchen/ dining area with several other people in the same building but there was really only room for two people to sit down at the same time so we had breakfast in Loughborough. Office deserted when we checked out after one night having booked 3. No sign of WIFI that I could find

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Shepshed hotels

Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

The comments on this site are true. Rules, no customer service etc. Shame as this could be a nice place. No suprise to find out recently it's up for sale, with change of use, and the landlady is reportedly in financial trouble.

• Stayed October 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

We have stayed at The Grange courtyard three times during my daughters time at university in Loughborough.....each time we went I wondered to myself why on earth we went back! The thing was it was convenient, close to the uni, easy to find, easy to park, safe, secure and once we bought our dog with us!
Our final trip this week was for my daughter graduation and i can now say with authority WE WONT BE GOING BACK!
We were meant to arrive Sunday evening from a weekend in York, but when I called on Sunday afternoon to say we would be arriving late, I got the cold shoulder and the definite feeling if we weren't there by 9.30pm we weren't welcome!!! Of course we couldnt get there for 9.30pm and so we only slept there for one night out of our two night stay! We arrived the next mornng at 9.30am.
Linda Lawrence and the gentleman who works in the evening really really do need to learn how to make their customers feel welcome, the reviewer who commented 'it's like a boarding school' has hit the nail right on the head! You feel totally unwelcome. My daughter went in for breakfast on her own as we left early and was asked to sit at a laid place, she made a mistake and was told in no uncertain terms 'I SAID A LAID PLACE!!' Her breakfast was less than average no matter what seat she sat in!

It is such a shame, it could be a great find, rooms are a bit small and everything is a bit too old fashioned but it has great potential and should be a perfect place to stay. I have one final comment...Customer service...get some!!

• Stayed July 2010
hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I must be a gluten for punishment as this was the second time that I gave the Grange a chance. The first time was bad but the second time was even worse. I'm not being mean here as the place is lovely and clean and the staff are friendly enough. The fly in the ointment is Linda the owner. She is less then friendly and does not treat you at all well. You are made to feel like a kid. Not my idea of what a host should be since you are paying £84 for the privilege of staying there. I got the distinct feeling that the young staff are also scared of her as well. It’s a real shame as the place is lovely; all it needs is that friendly touch added to it.

I don’t think that I’ll risk it a third time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Grimsby
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Oh my god! well what can i say. If you want to be treat like a child at boarding school this is the place to be.On arrival your given rules and regulations before your key. Although the rooms are clean and quaint if my husband came out of the bathroom i had to stand at the other side of the bed to let him past. Very small paper thin, no good if next door came back late to drink from the 'so called bar' right outside your bedroom. Linda Lawrence,so thats her name, until then we called her Cruella. Our taxi driver added all the extra names the locals call her as she is known for her abrupt rudeness. Dont bother with breakfast, two morinings in a row i left the raw scrambled cold eggs and one rasher of cold bacon. Our friend dare not ask for a sausage and another did without food as she did not order the nightbefore. Thank you 'Grange' for the experience we are still laughing about it now

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Grange Courtyard? Share your experiences!