“Business Lunch” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Sysonby Knoll Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Asfordby Road, Melton Mowbray LE13 0HP, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Melton Mowbray
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Business Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Having passed this hotel a million times, I'd never thought about lunch, coffee and cake or anything else my colleague from Cheshire booked it and I'm so glad he did! Super lunch, friendly staff, interesting history...afternoon tea coming soon! I'll be back!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights here at a special discount rate. The room was small, but adequate with a comfortable bed. The bathroom like the room was small but well equipped with shower/shampoo gel etc. The shower was a bit difficult to get the temperature right. The hotel front onto the road looks nothing special but when you get round to the back of the hotel you can see what a lovely setting it has. The gardens are truly beautiful and there are superb views over rolling countryside. The decor is a bit tired in places such as the corridors. The breakfast was really lovely - cooked to order rather than left on hot plates like most places do these days. We were pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Driffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed at the Sysonby Knoll Hotel prior to a meeting in Melton Mowbray the following day and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience.

Firstly, there was a very warm welcome. I was shown to my lovely room and began to unpack. Everything was at hand, worked as it should, was clean and tidy, well maintained and comfortable (even though I was grouchy due to a bad cold).

I went down to the bar for a beer (which was local, hand pulled and excellent quality) and eventually went into the dining room for dinner. The cold hadn't blown away my appetite, but I was full after two excellent courses of high quality food, cooked very well with top notch ingredients. Hugely tasty.

I returned to my room, watched a little TV and, after a coffee, crashed out in a comfortable bed. I had a poor nights sleep but that was mainly due to my cold. The room didn't feel that warm, but maybe that's because I had the chills.

Breakfast was a swift and enjoyable affair with a good range of cold buffet materials and a cooked offering which was brought to you from the kitchen, as I like. I can't stand the warm food under sunlamps!! The tea was piping hot and excellent.

Check out was brisk and efficient. I enjoyed my stay. The staff couldn't do enough to help you and make your stay comfortable. They were friendly, charming, efficient and polite.

This hotel looks a little like a motel from the outside (from the road) and I was worried that their offerings wouldn't stand up to my expectations. However, it was quite the opposite. Many grand looking hotels wouldn't come up to the mark of Sysonby Knoll Hotel and could learn from them.

A really good stay. Well done staff and management. I hope to stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We booked Sysonby Knoll after finding it on the internet. We booked for three nights for our honeymoon and we were very pleased that we did. The photo's do not do the hotel justice, it's picture perfect lovely.
We stayed in a four poster room and I cannot recommend staying there enough. The room was more than adequate for our stay with our baby and the bathroom was amazing. The room and hotel were very, very clean and I could not find fault anywhere! (Believe me I looked!)
Although some people have complained about the breakfast, I thought breakfast was lovely. As well as having a full cooked breakfast, they also offer yoghurt, croissants and fruit. The staff at breakfast were always happy and chatty.
The food at Sysonby Knoll made me put on at least half a stone - there is always a very good choice at dinner and my husband and I were always very happy with our food. I liked the fact that if you didn't want to go down to eat, they offered dinner bought up to you. Our baby was unwell one night and having that option was a godsend otherwise we'd have been downstairs eating separately whilst the other stayed upstairs.
Despite visiting them at the busiest time of year (Christmas), the staff still had time to chat to us and made us feel very welcome. The staff could do not enough to help if you asked a question and I would have no hesitation in going back or recommending it to anyone else.

Room Tip: The four poster rooms are more expensive than the doubles, but are very worth it! It was on my bucke...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed on a Saturday evening as we were off to a 50th party in Melton. Forget the main hotel photo as this is not representative of the reality. Essentially the hotel consists of a period property, extended over time to create a large square on two floors with a courtyard area in the centre.

Certainly the hotel appeared clean and well maintained on arrival. However, it took two very loud rings on the reception bell before the lady came from behind the bar to check us in. A similar situation arose when we tried to check out. We ultimately had to return to the breakfast room and pop our head in the kitchen to get someone's attention. Accepting that cost control through staffing is important for this independent family owned hotel, promptness of service or a simple apology or acknowledgment for being kept waiting wouldn't go amiss.

The room (a standard double) was adequate, nicely warmed, clean and well presented. Whilst ok for one night, I wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of nights in a space that I suspect could begin to feel quite claustrophobic.

Breakfast was a disappointment. 1 3" sausage, 2 rashers of dry undercooked bacon, 1 egg, a 'mini' ramekin of beans, a half cooked hash brown and half a raw, firm and distinctly fusty tasting tomato (we both took one bite, winced and left it!). A real disappointment given the price tag

Overall, this is probably the best hotel option of 3 or 4 in Melton on a 'reasonable' budget. However, £100 per night is most definitely overpriced. Standard room rate should, I believe, be no more than £70, with opportunity for cheaper deals at weekend. The car park was near empty and I suspect that occupancy levels could be significantly improved if the weekend rates were made more attractive. (2 1/2 out of 5)

Room Tip: Anyone with accessibility issues should request a room close to reception. Our room was a hike thro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked four rooms on a DBB basis at Sysonby Knoll for a family birthday celebration. The package was good value, the rooms comfortable (the four-poster Room 2 particularly spacious) and the food very good. What marked the hotel our for us was the excellent service. All the staff were friendly and helpful and dealt with our requests promptly and courteously. It's true that some of the decor is a little tired and the showers lacked power but overall we were more than happy with our choice of hotel.

Room Tip: Room 2 is spacious and has a view across fields to the river. We enjoyed the views of spectacular su...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great place, stopped here to go to a friends party in Melton. We stopped in room 5, four poster. Spotless room, spotless place. Very comfy bed.

Breakfast was excellent (I think it was all local produce). Staff too were very friendly and helpful. Nice grounds and early morning winter views. See picture from our room.

Very lovely well kept family run place. Bar, conference/function facilities etc.

Would recommend for business or pleasure.

Put average for fitness center and pool, as didn't use them or not sure if they have them and didn't in any way want to rate anything as poor. Great place.

Room Tip: Room 5 we stopped in was very nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Sysonby Knoll Hotel? Share your experiences!