“Fourth visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Standish
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Fourth visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Recently completed our fourth stay at this charming country pub. Good beers and excellent food, never had a bad meal here. The staff are all pleasant and friendly. Rooms basic but very clean and have everything in that you need. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fife, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I couldn't fault this hotel and the service was so great that I wrote them a letter of thanks. My wife and I were due to travel down from Scotland on a business/leisure weekend but on the day we were due to go down to Worthington the weather was atrocious and I accidentally drove my car into a flooded river. I rang the hotel to cancel and they were very accommodating, but then we decided to travel down anyway so rang them back to re-book. They were fantastic, and even though we were going to be late (by the time my car was lifted out of the river!) they assured us we would be fed, even though the restaurant closed at 9pm.
The food was superb, the steak incredible. The range of beers was exceptional, the bar cosy and the staff friendly. The owners made time to speak to us, and in the morning the chef prepared a great breakfast for us and since it was a quiet morning and we were the only people in for breakfast, he sat down with us and we chatted pleasantly through the meal.
A well equipped room, comfortable and warm, a fairly secluded location - which suited us just fine - and all at an excellent price.
Three months later (with my drowned car still in the garage!) we travelled back down to complete the business we had originally come down for and stayed there again. Usually, with your expectations raised and the rose coloured specs firmly on, a second visit disappoints. But not here. Everything was as good as before including a bit of great banter with the bar manager.
Not had the need to do business that way since but if was ever anywhere near I would certainly book again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing to the rear have the better views.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We live locally and have been in a good few times, first off let me say, the beer in here is SUPERB, it's really overpriced for the area, but, it is very good....we've had a few hit and miss meals in here but tonight has prompted me to write a review... the 2 starters came, my mussels were great, flavoursome, and reasonable portion, enjoyed.... however my girlfriends 3 pieces of garlic bread with cheese and tomato, were stone cold....not wanting them microwaved we put this down to a timing error and carried on... the mains arrived... I had ordered Gammon, while she had opted for fish and chips, what a total disaster... The portions would not fill a fly, a TINY handful of chips, and I mean tiny!! an even smaller portion of peas with my gammon, which was TINY! overcooked and that thin it was one step up from bacon. The fish and chips were the same, although the fish was nice, it resembled a minnow rather than cod it was that small, again the same beyond belief minimal portion of chips was issued, along with a small peas and tartare sauce. The chips are handcut and homemade, which normally credit should be given for, however they were lifeless and very greasy, I finished my main in under 4 minutes and was still hungry, and I'm not a glutton or huge eater... it was my girlfriends birthday and she and I were hugely dissapointed, I mentioned the portions to the owner, he apologised as I caught him on the hop, but did exactly nothing to explain why this was. Avoid - if you want a GREAT meal go to the Hop Vine at Burscough Bridge, fantastic food and awesome service, we've been a round 15 times and if anything it just gets better, the Crown - great for beer if you've money to burn, but eat elsewhere....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Heysham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband and I have just had an overnight stay here and yes it's an old pub which needs a little refurbishment here and there,but don't let that put you off staying here. The variety of drinks is exceptional and the food is very good.The barmaid on Saturday afternoon was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable.The little touches of fruit and water was much appreciated
The biscuits were a bit different too. Thank you for a lovely stay. We wouldn't hesitate to come and stay with you again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I haven't lived in the area for 10 years and so we visited here on a recommendation. Food and service were all good, the Sunday roast was lovely and there wasn't too much of it. We did only manage 2 puddings between 5 of us though and we had no starters! We would return to try the steaks.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed here on groupon deal. Meal was included which was lovely, roast pork with veg, homemade chunky chips, yummy desserts.
Room was comfortable, i agree with another review that the tea tray was minging, darent look closely at anything else. Room was small, tv was tiny and literally almost touching the ceiling so was quite uncomfotable to watch. The bathroom was an extremely tight squeeze and the shower took a while to get heated.
Breakfast was served and was ok. Could also have cerial.
Overall it was very good value for money and i like these cosy places with the restaurants and bars which are comfortable and relaxed.
Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancs UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We called last Friday on our way back from Manchester at 2.30pm. Beer festival on, choice of 18 real ales. Sadly husband was limited to one pint as he was driving. (Pheasant ale, was fantastic) Ate off the cheaper lunchtime menu, his beer battered fish and the chips and mushy peas were piping hot and, he reported, super. I had the Lancashire cheese and spring onion pie and ships and veg. Not huge, but quite enough, really really tasty!
Quite a few in, two small niggles, the music was too loud (mainly couples in who were chatting, so loud 60s/70s music isn't necessary) Second, the ladies' loos! Clean and fresh yes! BUT toilet seat loose and paper not on roll. These must date back to the 50s as they are the original 50s fashionable shade of pink. THESE DESPERATELY NEED UPDATING, especially as there are functions held there.
Great being able to pop in for food all day though. WE THINK THE PRICES ARE VERY REASONABLE AND PORTIONS QUITE ADEQUATE!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Crown at Worthington? Share your experiences!