“4 STAR ??? NOT A HOPE” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Standish
Galway, Ireland
“4 STAR ??? NOT A HOPE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Very badley run hotel,no wifi all weekend,actually none in the hotel,went down for breakfast which was not included in our plan and were told it was 17 pounds per person,waited 20 mins to be seated,then waited another 20 for them to bring food out to the buffet in dribbs and drabs,pure joke of set up,the drink was very pricey and the food very small portions,we asked fro extra bread with the soup and were told ther was only certain amount baked,then we watched another waiter giving the table next to us all extra bread,more lies yet again,my friends returned to there room to find a total stranger lying in there bed which the staff let into the room,pool was nice if you were a midget but all in all it was like been in a prison

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

With a friends wedding taking place at Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel, we opted to stay in the hotel and enjoy the big day. It also allowed us to pop in and out to get changed, freshen up etc during the day - good with the unpredictable English summer threatening rain!

The room was dated but nice, spacious, comfortable bed, and clean and tidy, with a recent model tv and very quiet overlooking a field or similar. The bathroom was good, reasonable power in the shower but very stiff to turn on (we had to call for help!) and lots of lighting so good for doing makeup. However the fixtures were chipped on the sink and bath so overall, it could certainly do with a refresh, but still up to standard.
The staff, especially the brunette on Reception, were helpful and pleasant but we did have a bit of trouble trying to exit the gates as we hadn't been provided with the key code and we couldn't find a staff member in the Main building to give it to us. We resorted to calling the 0844/0845 number to get hold of someone.
The function rooms were nicely dressed for the ceremony and the meal, and I would have been happy as a bride.
The disappointment was the food at the wedding; the chocolate mousses had little, if any taste, and were very pale. The leek soup tasted more of brocolli, and was over-salted. The evening buffet included chicken drum sticks which were tasteless (no marinade or seasoning) and with no meat present, the drums were more 'Asda Smart Price Bones' than chicken drums. As for the burgers, it seems the kitchen could not organise themselves correctly as there was either burgers or buns, so you could have cold meat or probably no bun. I think there were three weddings on that day, so the staff were probably stretched too far. Also, there were complaints amongst the guests about the drink prices - £7.50 for a single vodka and lemonade. This was followed by eggs benedict the next morning, where the hollandaise sauce had split.
We paid £80 a night, and would probably stay again, but would eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask to sleep in the new wing overlooking the field not the driveway, so you avoid the wedding after...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
wigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Last minute booking as our 16 year old wanted us out the house for his birthday!! Booked direct on website for a double room, evening meal & breakfast. Reasonable cost. Arrived and booked in in reception. On arriving in our rooom we find the room to be a twin bed, spoke to the lad on reception who informed me that on his computer we had booked a twin. As my booking says a delux double obviously we had not. Sorry sir but we are full and have no double rooms left..... Not happy.
Bar it is then, in need of a drink by this time, no suprise there is nobody serving. We eventually find a member of staff who can serve me a beer. Another drink and another scout around the hotel to find someone who can serve me along with a few other disgruntled folk.. Very poor service in this hotel.
We ate in the restaurant which we thought was expensive with very limited choice of food. Pub food more like and not in line with the hotel. Food was average, service was very slow.
Overall we will never be going back, we will be taking our room issues up with the management
Very dissapointed with our whole experiance

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Standish hotels

Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Hotel has a main part and a part which has clearly been built on as an extra extension. rooms are average size, shabby, come with wall heaters, tired decor and furniture and that strange coloured bath suite which is not quite grey .... I think taupe is the technical colour. . Shower abysmal power , frankly I can create more pressure in the gents after 4 pints.
Weird stains on walls ... Could be blood or worse ??
Had a drink in the bar .... Found solid lumps clinging to the inside of my pint glass....not great !

Ate in restaurant .. Restaurant good , food quality better than expected , ambience dire . It is a big space some ambient music is a must....service quite good.....price £60 for 1 person for 2 courses with cheapish bottle of wine....so not cheap.

This place needs a revamp as I have paid far less for much better and just outside Wigan £100 per night is a joke.

Overall give this a miss if I were you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

On sunday 28th july was the best day of my life as me and my soul mate becace man and wife at best location ever well where do I start! From begining to end it was perfect in everyway made extra special by all the staff who would bend over backwards to ensure you have the best stress free time of your life every1 is very friendly and helpful the food is out of this world and each and every1 of my guest commented on our wedding breakfast all 3 courses were cooked to perfection.the wedding co.ordinators were just amazing from start to finish Hannah and jen was fab but keith our master of ceramonys well what can i say he is just sooo amazing at what he does I cant put into words I would defo recomend him as one of the best if not the best. Thank you very mutch for sutch a relaxed pleasent experiance highly recomended mr & mrs johnson xx

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chorley, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed here for a friends birthday (party of 12 booked in) we all checked in at various times some people had issues with cost of room being incorrect I had no problem and was checked in quickly and efficiently room was twin beds and clean and comfortable, bathroom colour was a little dated but very clean so had no issue, shower had low pressure and glass shower screen kept opening wide away from the bath. Room was very hot even with window open - no fan available or air conditioning I can't comment on evening meal as I went out to local pub but breakfast was fine I only had cereal and toast I did go back for fruit but the bowls were all practically empty and I couldn't be bothered waiting for more to appear as I had a spa treatment booked. Another member from our party was booked in at the same time both of us due to have a massage we arrived at 10.30 as we were asked to to fill in paperwork for treatment at 11am (why we needed to arrive this early is beyond me as filling in form was no longer than 5 mins) we were eventually taken into a double room at 11.15 am (15 mins late) for our massage which I found a bit strange (I presume they thought it would be ok as we were both in the same party but actually we didn't know each other -but that isn't hotels fault -but it would have been nice to check beforehand) Our treatment lasted 10 mins and it should have been 25 mins I believe with 5 mins dressing time making 30 mins in total. We did complain to the girls in the spa that we had 10 mins of a half hour treatment but they insisted we were wrong. no one else in spa to speak to so we mentioned it at reception who said she would speak to spa manager for us and telephone us (that was yesterday I haven't heard so far but I am hoping I will by end of tomorrow)

On the whole my stay was comfortable and I would stay here again but would be reluctant to book treatments the hotel grounds are beautiful

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My hubby booked this as a surprise for me and my mum.overnight spar break with breakfast 3coursemsel and a 30min treatment with use of all spar!!!! We arrived at just 2pm so I explained to reception we were booked in spar at 2pm could they phone and let them know we would be Afew min late (yes that will be fine ile just book u in then go down he says) so arrive in spar at 2.13after booking in to be told oh u can only have 15 min treatment as u are late!!!!! So I explained we had told the man at booking in and he said he would ring and it was ok,after 20min arguing we are finally booked in for 9.30 in the morning so lets see.the Sunna was broke so couldn't and there was no milk or clean cups to make a drink but wen asked they were there quickly.resturant menu isn't very good abit like put grub at high prices burger 13.50 steak 19.50 and 6.75 for a glass of wine.i don't mind paying for food if its nice but not pub grub.so we decided to go the pub 10 min walk we had past and omg it was delish we had 3course meal each including black pudding starter salmon and cheesecake abottle of wine coffee and latte for £36.10 rooms are clean very but dated and stuffy

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!