“Very disappointed. £300 hotel? Joke?” 1 of 5 stars

Britannia Wigan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Almond Brook Road, Standish, Wigan WN6 0SR, England   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Standish
Carlisle
“Very disappointed. £300 hotel? Joke?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Needing a last minute hotel I checked out Booking.com and found the Britannia Wigan Hotel. Boasting a fantastic 91% saving - paying only £39 for a double room with breakfast, REDUCED FROM £300.

What a joke! (I've just checked Booking.com out today and it still does show a 91% saving)

First of all upon checking I was told that there was a £2.00 charge for card payments. What? Why? It was a debit card, not a credit card, never before have I paid to have my card debited. And why do they need to have a handling charge for putting a card in the machine?

I questioned this and the receptionist snapped back - "I've asked about it myself, it just is" - presumable then she gets asked about this all the time.

Next onto the room, we walked through a very tired looking hotel, with carpets lifting at all the doorways and edges, into a tatty lift that smelled funny.

The first impression of the room was the smell - which was good - obviously had just had a good squirt of air freshener.

Now, I don't mind hotel rooms being tatty and tired AS LONG AS THEY ARE CLEAN, but this room was far from clean. The only clean things was the bedding, thank goodness, and the towels.

The floor was grubby, the hoover obviously doesn't reach to the edges of the room. The window sill was dirty and the bathroom was appalling. Seriously, is there not a head housekeeper that checks these things? If there is they need to look at replacing them, or at least training them in basic housekeeping.

The bathroom floor was filthy, so dirty I wore my shoes in the bathroom, as I said before - old and tired is ok, filth is not. The lino was raised up by the bath and the gap that had formed was stuffed full of dust and grub.

The safety bath mat was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, mouldy, filthy and covered with hair that was not mine. The rest of the bath had 8 long hairs in it that I counted, I had to clean the bath before I could get in to shower - the bath mat I refused to use!!

Breakfast was disappointing. It was like a school canteen, full of a wedding party and coach party, all grabbing whatever food was on offer. The breakfast menu stated amongst other things, fried eggs to order, and mushrooms on the buffet. They were all out of mushrooms, and believe it or not had run out of eggs!!

There was only bread crusts left to toast, no butter. The juice glasses were so dirty they were stuck to the tray that they were standing upside down on! The sauce basket was just full of sachets of vinegar, great accompaniment to breakfast I don't think.

Upon check out we were not asked how our stay was, just took the key and asked if we needed a receipt.

Would avoid at all costs, we were really excited about our fantastic saving, but in all honesty it wasn't worth a tenner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I travelled here on a bus tour, the arival was well organised. I was plesantly suprised with the size and quality of my room. The food was on a self service basis, and was fresh and hot. There was a happy hour (actually 4 hours ) at the bar and entertainment on my second and third night of stay. All the staff were very plesent and helpfull, and reception was manned 24 hours. My overall view was that for the price this hotel offers above avarage value. There is also a swimming pool and liesure centre. The pool is 4 foot deep right across its length and so would be suitable for all ages.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

On arrival the reception area was very welcoming, clean and warm, we stayed on the ground floor, the room although clean, was very basic, needed an upgrade, if you are disabled the bath was very high, I had trouble getting in and out.
The breakfast is £10.50 each, however if you pre-book its £6.50 each, we didn't stay there for breakfast, there is a restaurant across the road offering breakfast 2 for £10.00, also there is evening meals there 2 for £10.00.
Moving onto the pool, and leisure area at the hotel, as we are both swimmers, the pool is ever thing to us, however it is so small that my bird-bath in my garden at home was bigger!! plus even though we were residents, a charge of £4.00 each had to be made to use it.
I hope this helps you, and thank you for reading my review.

Room Tip: second floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

As part of a coach trip we stayed for 2 nights. Although a little 'tired looking' the beds were very comfortable, and the overall cleanliness of the room was good. The evening meals and breakfasts were really excellent value for money. We had a problem with the cold water tap in the bath, told reception and it was dealt with immediately. We found all the staff to be very helpful.Was in a family party of 4 so we made our own entertainment as, unfortunately, there was none at the hotel. However, we would all go again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
House_ManagerWigan, Guest Relations Manager at Britannia Wigan Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your honest evaluation of the hotel.
We are undergoing a programme of renovation at the minute, with over half of the hotel rooms decorated, hopefully you will be able to give us your opinion during your next stay.
hull e,yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed one night after visiting liverpool ,the room was comfortable ,every thing we needed but we wanted a glass of water with our evening meal and was told ,if we could get a glass from the bar ,they would fill it for us ,There was a wedding in the bar and a queue in the bar and by the time we got back to our meal ,it was cold!!its a shame the food was good , would not stay again though.

Room Tip: The lift was broken the weekend we stayed so a ground floor ,would be a good idea.
CLEVELAND YORKSHIRE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Just had a trip away with national holidays. Keep away from this hotel folks. Hotel room needed a good clean.Tea-bag, lip liner, biscuit bits and battery left down by the side of the bed. I can accept the room been tierd looking but dirty and smelly NEVER. Had our evening meal about 8-15 in a freezing cold restaurant. The seating in the bar had cigarette burns and rips in the chairs. On the plus side the breakfast was ok and we were leaving!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

we went on a coach to the brittania hotel standish with mixed feelings after reading some of the reviews, we were in room 159 on the ground floor.there was everything we needed,hairdryer tea and coffee making facilities really comfy beds and plenty of room. i must say though i was very concerned about the fire door at the end of the corridor which was left open, i remarked to my friend we could be murderd in our beds. that was the only complaint i could make as service was very good also.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Britannia Wigan Hotel? Share your experiences!