“Did I set the bar too high for this Hilton property?” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast On Us
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Green
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
“Did I set the bar too high for this Hilton property?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

My flight home was postponed a day due to weather, so I decided to give this new hotel a try. I had high hopes that it would meet expectations, but that was not the case. My one night stay in a non-smoking king, was booked online with hotels.com. With AAA discount for $89 (w/ tax $102.36).
At first I was pleased with the room but upon closer inspection my disappoint grew. The ergo adjustable chair was very comfortable. The room had wifi with a strong signal, and access to a networked printer located in the business center. Beside the desk sat a waste can filled with trash. The bed has extremely firm, actually it was an adjustable air bed, but I could not locate the control to soften it..
The bathroom had a curved quartz countertop. A selection of soaps, mouthwash, lotion & shower cap that was neatly arranged beside the sink. There was a small wall mounted hair dryer and I was happy to see a single lever to control the shower .But I couldn't help but notice about 6 -7 short hairs lying on the ceramic tiled floor, yet the toilet paper ends were folded into triangles. The toilet was a low flow/high pressure unit.
My room also contained a small bar with Sanyo Mini fridge and separate Sanyo microwave. 4 cup brewer, a selection of Regular & Decaf Royal Coffee, Mini Moo Half & Half,sweetners. The Phillips HDTV flat screen with HBO and a basic cable package. also offerered pay per view.
The hotel has an indoor pool, whirlpool and fitness center. They also offer equip to use in the privacy of your room. Room Service is also offered. Dinner is servered from 5 to 10pm. They offer an eclectic menu with something for everyone. I ate at the bar, which seats six. They have soda on tap, bottled beer, a selection of top shelf liquors and a small selection of wines by the glass or bottle (3). The Great American Grill has an open floorplan adjacent to the lobby and lounge.

I ordered a Tuscan Chicken Ciabatta (chicken breast, provalone, pesto mayo, carmelized onions) lettuce & tomato on the side with dill pickle wedge and fresh fruit (strawberries & cantalope) $8.95 & Killians Red $3.75, The sandwich was very tasty and filling.
When another guest placed an order to pickup at a certain time the waiter blew off the request offering to deliver it to his room instead. (Room Service adds a $2 fee and an 18% tip to bill) The hotel was experiencing technical difficulties and could not run any credit cards during my stay.
I saved my company about $36 by staying here, instead of a hotel located at Belden Village 15 minutes away from the airport. The only noise I heard came from the highway, but once the window hvac was turned on via wall mount termo that noise was drifted away. The cost, convenience factor and knowing that this was a brand new hotel with onsite restaurant where the main reasons why I chose to stay here.

• Liked — Location at airport
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Clarksville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

I stayed there while conducting business on the other side of the Akron Canton Regional Airport. I was there for 20 days and had a pleasant experience. I would rate the front desk personnel as top notch. They were always VERY friendly and helpful. I often have business trips with 2 - 3 week stays at the same hotel and have some personal likes and dislikes at major chain hotels. For the extended stay traveler, the refrigerator is very small(Dorm size) and the microwave is on the small side. The bathroom did not have a ventilator so the mirror fogged up if you didn't leave the bathroom door open. There are no gas stations or stores within 2 miles of this hotel so if you don't have a car that could be inconvenient.
On the positive side, this hotel is practically brand new and is very clean and has a nice atmosphere. The front desk alway had fresh fruit and cookies as well as the usual coffee and tea. There is a nice restaurant in the lobby with a nice variety of well prepared food. I can't overemphasize the friendliness of all the employees there. They made me feel important and appreciated.
In addition to the normal US Today newspaper, they delivered a local paper on weekends which was nice to have. The indoor pool, whirlpool and exercise room were all very nice and well maintained. They have exercise equipment for you to use in your room as well.
This was my first stay in a Hilton Garden Inn and I was glad to have stayed. I prefer hotels with kitchens since I am usually there on extended stays but this was quite nice.

• Liked — The fabulous staff
  • Disliked — Limited frige size
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed. New property, great friendly people, all the amenities you need. Nice hotel for a business traveller.

• Liked — Location and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Slippery bathtub
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

My mother and I were arriving late in the evening at the Akron/Canton airport, so we decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. This was the best decision we could have made. Even though we arrived really late, all we had to do was call the hotel from the free phone in the airport, and a free shuttle promptly came and picked us up. Our check-in was quick and efficient, and every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The room was a very affordable $109; wireless Internet is free, although breakfast isn't.

We reserved a handicap accessible room, which was very spacious and contained simple but clean and elegant furnishings. Two double beds, TV with about 25 cable channels, microwave, fridge, and roomy bathroom. We could see the airport and highway from our window, but couldn't hear any of the noise, not a peep. Very comfortable beds with all new bedding.

The next morning we had a lovely, leisurely breakfast. For $9.95 you can peruse the breakfast buffet and request freshly made pancakes, french toast, and eggs made to order. The french toast was outstanding! After we checked out, the shuttle took us right to the car rental corner of the airport. So convenient. I really wish every town had a hotel this nice and affordable.

• Liked — Value, location
  • Disliked — Pool was small
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

I like the Hilton Garden Inns. Having the ability to get something to eat when you arrive is a great plus. Breakfast in the morning was another plus even with the charge. This hotel is new and clean with a great staff. Directly across the street from CAK. Very convenient. Will stay again.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Bloomington, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

We stayed at the hotel while in Ohio for a wedding.

Positives:
* Very, very friendly staff! Everyone stopped to say hello. The staff in the restaurant area were particularly friendly.
* Very close to airport with free shuttle - my in-laws took advantage of that service; also have an arrivals and departures update board at the front desk
* shuttle is also available to take you to places in the local area
* small pool was nice and warm; my 14 month old and I had a great time swimming
* room was very clean
* mattress' firmness was adjustable, but we didn't mess with it
* thermostat-driven air conditioning (and heating), rather than messing with those awful knobs
* free wireless Internet
* business office had two computers, free printing and faxing
* food was pretty good

(Potential) negatives:
* we had a room that faced the interstate and I could hear the traffic (about 250 feet away); I sleep right through stuff like that, but my wife sometimes has difficulties with noise, but not this time
* wireless Internet was hit-and-miss about a third of the time
* although the food was good and the staff was very friendly; the whole setup for eating was rather confusing for many, it costs $9.95 and you had the option of paying beforehand as part of a package (as we did) or paying at the time of eating; since so many places offer free breakfasts, why not charge a little extra and give it to everyone free rather having the poor staff ask the "did you already pay as part of your hotel package?" over and over; I felt bad for the poor staff members required to do that about a million times every morning

Clearly, this was a nearly brand new hotel that has a staff that wants to keep it looking great and build a very friendly reputation

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — spotty wireless Internet signal
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Benediktbeuern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

This stay was really nice and we found the staff quite accommodating. We made a last minute reservation and this hotel provides a free shuttle service from the airport. This location was better for us because it is north of the Belden Village area (where there is too much traffic). The hotel is new with an inviting lobby and the business services are good. We never eat at a hotel restaurant and there are great restaurants within a short driving distance. The room and bathroom was really comfortable with very nice linens. The rooms come with a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. However, I would recommend a room facing the parking lot/air port instead of the highway, if you are sensitive to noise and lights. The staff was willing to move us away from the highway and this was a great improvement. It is also nice to see that the ice and beverage machines are located in a room near the elevator, away from the rooms.

• Liked — nice room and bathroom
  • Disliked — rooms located next to highway were noisy
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Akron-Canton Airport? Share your experiences!