“Adequate. No more, no less” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Green
Raleigh, NC
“Adequate. No more, no less”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

If I were to do this trip again, I'd book a room at the Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn, or even the Quality Inn which is much cheaper. While the room was clean and quiet and all the accommodations were adequate, I think you could do better at another hotel for this price. When I arrived at the Fairfield Inn around 9:30, there was nobody at the front desk. I stood there for a few minutes and eventually some other guy wandered in and knocked on the desk (there is no bell or other way to call a clerk). That was not the only time during my stay that I found the front desk unattended and had to knock to get a clerk to come out. The check in went fine, but at the end they handed me a letter stating that there would be no maid service on Thursday so their staff could spend Thanksgiving day with their families. While I appreciate sentiment on the part of management, I'm not sure it's a great business decision, and being as this was my first Thanksgiving not working in about seven years I am not sympathetic to those who whine about working on holidays. In any event, I'm not that messy so it was no big deal but I think they should let you know that kind of thing when you book, as you are paying for an expected level of amenities and service that they advertise. Like I said, the room was clean and comfortable, though a bit sparsely decorated. There was quite a bit of empty space in my 1 king bed room, as it only had some small side tables, a desk, a dresser, and a single small club chair in addition to the bed. Again, not a big deal since it was just me staying there, but the empty space left the room feeling kind of cold.
The hotel provides a free breakfast like most business traveler hotels, and the breakfast selection is nothing to write home about. The only hot items are waffles, which you have to get the "breakfast ambassador" to make for you, and breakfast sandwiches and corndogs that are in a fridge that you have to heat up yourself. The lady that worked breakfast on Thanksgiving day was fantastic, worked very hard to make sure things were stocked and everybody was getting what they wanted. She really went the extra mile and people were tipping her the service was so great. However, she was pretty much the only person at the hotel who gave great service; everybody else did their jobs, and some didn't seem terribly excited about doing even that. The next day at the breakfast buffet, there was a different lady working, and she rolled in the waffle station about 5 minutes early and had the whole buffet pulled in by 9am sharp. She also apparently quit stocking it some time before I showed up, because they were out of a bunch of things. So if breakfast is important to you, definitely book somewhere else because your breakfast here may be slim pickings depending on who's working that day.
The gym and pool both seemed new, clean, and well kept, but both were quite small. The gym had two treadmills, an elliptical, an exercise bike, and a small bench with a rack of dumbbells next to it, but no weight machines. Everything was in good working order. The pool was one of the smallest hotel pools I've ever seen, so you can forget about swimming laps in it but if you're looking to entertain some small children it's fine. There's also a hot tub.
As for location, it is near a lot of shopping and restaurants, but it's a bit back off the road and right next to the highway, which is not unlike other hotels in the area. I didn't have any problems with noise from the highway but my room was on the opposite side of the hotel. The other hotels in the area have slightly more convenient locations, nearer to the freeway and closer to the shops and restaurants, with more things in walking distance.
All in all, my stay at the Fairfield Inn was adequate. Nothing more and nothing less. While you can get better service down the road at the Holiday Inn Express or the Hampton Inn, both of which I've stayed at before and both had better rooms, service, and breakfast, I might stay at the Fairfield Inn again if they offered a GREAT rate compared to the other two. However, right now the rates are about the same so I would recommend you go to one of the other hotels, as this one just doesn't measure up.

Room Tip: My room was on the opposite side of the hotel from the freeway and was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

WOW what an experience. Checked in for an overnight stay. The place is nice and fresh, new. Impressed going to my room on the third floor, the place is clean and inviting. Spacious room with perfect lighting not the typical dim CFL bulbs. Nice bathroom, TV, etc so I was looking forward to a relaxing night for early morning activity. Whats the problem??? NOISE NOISE NOISE. Situated adjacent to the highway all I heard all night were truck rambling down the interstate. I thought I left the window open but the windows don't open. Up at 4am so I was literally a wreck the entire next day. Told guy (kid) working the front that was the absolute worst nights stay I have had in a hotel . He feigned concern when I said the only reason people stay at a hotel is to get a good night's sleep but offered no consideration on the single night bill of $155!!!!!
***This hotel blows***
Obviously not built correctly to block out the constant road noise. Other guests I spoke with had the same problem. And here I was glad to have a room away from the elevators so I would not hear those running up and down. Ripped again!

Room Tip: Maybe if you get a room farthest from the highway but no guarantee there. Don't risk it go to a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This hotel makes it hard to like it. At check in, they required a signature for the charges and agreement to a multi page contract that I would not hold a party in my room. Clearly this property does not appreciate the fact that I am a high value Marriott customer (100+ nights in any given year) and it does not understand how to make a business traveler welcome. The propery itself was ok (rooms, lobby, etc) with the exception of the worst towels ever (smelled funny and given that they had polyester content, very rough.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Choose another hotel in the area. I regularly stay at Marriotts, including Fairfield Inn but did not appreciate the practices at this one. I thought I was cancelling a reservation for a second night and was billed for it. This charge was not on my bill I received from the hotel but appeared on the statement afterward.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
monicadcorbin, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Akron South, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Hello MM,
Thank you for your recent comments we certainly welcome any fair and accurate feedback. Moreover, we do apologize for any breakdown in communication. I am aware that you stated to me you were unsure if you had communicated to the guest representative that you wanted to cancel your reservation. However, please know that it is our policy to hold any reservation that has been guaranteed for arrival until the guest has arrived. Also, given that we were sold out the night in question, we certainly would not want to assume that you wanted to cancel if you were not clear in those wishes and potentially have given your room away leaving you with no place to stay and abandoning our commitment to you as a loyal Marriott guest.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you.

Monica C.
akron, oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

we had 4 rooms at the fairfield inn for the night of my daughters wedding. the rooms were wonderful, but the staff was even better. please keep in mind that it is impossible to find a hotel room in summit county ohio during this weekend due to ProFootball Hall of fame inductions and parade, Bridgestone Golf tournament and Twins Festival all happening at the same time. We made these reservations 51 weeks ago. The front desk staff did an amazing job of making our rooms available as early as possible in order for the guys in the wedding party to meet, shower and dress there. again, this hotel was sold out but understood how important this day was for all of us. they gave us suggestions early in the week to streamline check in, arranged for late check out, and took cell phone contact information to keep us informed when rooms were ready for check in. they were just calm and cooperative at all times. staff we encountered keep offering congrats to the bride and groom and definately made us feel welcome.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed there one night for a family wedding nearby. We were told that we got a special family rate but it turned out to be the same as the rate published on expedia, etc. (and not a bargain). We were reqiured to sign a "no partying" waiver which, thinking objectively, isn't a bad idea. The facilities were clean and up to date. Continental breakfast was serviceable. There is a TGI Fridays across the street and the hotel provides a discount coupon with registration. There is nothing else within convenient walking distance.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bluffton, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Rooms are large and in very good condition. Breakfast was the best I have had lately. They have a "Breakfast Ambassador" that prepares the waffles for the guests. Apples were plastic wrapped. Very, very nice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn Akron South? Share your experiences!