“One night break - some good things, some not so good” 3 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Langho
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wirral
“One night break - some good things, some not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We recently stayed for a one night gourmet break. The bedroom and bathroom were both huge, the bathroom having a bath and a separate shower cubicle and lovely shampoos etc. Both rooms were immacutely clean, so full marks to the housekeeping staff.

We went down to dinner and were shown into the lounge to have canapes and champagne and look at the menu. A couple of alterations were made to suit our choice, which was appreciated. However, another couple who arrived later than us were given their menus and canapes and shown to their table well before us.

We were given a table right by the entrance to the dining room, which was in view of the kitchen door, with staff obviously coming in and out and staff standing at the top of the stairs. This was not the most relaxing of places to sit and enjoy a nice meal. Every course was explained when served but, when you have already read the menu this isn't necessary, especially when it is spoken so fast you can hardly hear what is being said anyway. It is also disconcerting when in the middle of a conversation to have different staff coming to the table replenishing the water and wine, without being asked to. Having said all that, at least the food was very good. The wines are ridiculously expensive - we chose one of the "cheaper" ones but this was still a high price. We have stayed in many hotels and always choose good wines but we checked some prices on the internet and Northcote are charging a very high mark up.

Going down to breakfast, we were asked by reception, "Hi, how are you today?". We were asked the same question by the person taking the coffee/tea order and yet again by the person taking the food order. It was the same when we booked in and the same when we went for dinner - at least four staff in the lounge and more in the dining room, all asking the same question. A simple, polite "Good morning/after/evening" would be sufficient!! They must be told to ask everyone this and is possibly better than indifferent service but comes across as false and becomes quite irritating.

The good points were the room and the food but the service, while good, is really over-the-top and rather off-putting. Also, the way the final bill is calculated is confusing and we had to ask for it to be explained. There was also someone behind us waiting for their bill to be explained and the receptionist, who was very helpful, said she had to explain to people EVERY DAY how their bills were calculated, as they are not straightforward at all. Northcote management should talk to their accounts team and get this sorted to make it easier for both residents and their staff.

I have scored it as average for value as it is very expensive, albeit the food and rooms are very good. I have also scored average for service when I might have scored good (even though it is over the top) but there is no facility to do this, as it goes from average to very good. TRIPADVISOR - PLEASE NOTE!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig_Bancroft, Owner at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your recent visit to us here at Northcote.

So that we can review your visit in a little more detail, may I ask that you send an email to reception@northcote.com so that we can chat over your experience a little more.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We actaully stayed a couple of years ago but have finally got around to signing up on this site! We were there for a special birthday, having both a meal and staying over for one night. From the moment we arrived all staff were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about their own areas. The room was exceptional with every amenity on hand. Spotlessly clean. Lovely toilettries and a free non-alcoholic mini-bar. The food was delicious although they had just switched the menu and there was a bit too much offal for my taste. As we had booked the Private Dining Room we were completely unaware that we were the last ones eating. The staff stayed with us until the early hours and did not in any way make us feel rushed. We then retired to the lounge areas where the overnight porter then made us cocktails and we finished our night playing cards. Superb stay, we haven't got around to returning but will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Craig_Bancroft, Owner at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to review your Stay at Northcote from a couple of years ago. It is great to hear that we made a lasting impression on you of such a high standard of service.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Northcote and we hope too see you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Northcote has become our "go to" destination for a celebratory weekend away---this time for my wife's 50th birthday.

The overall experience was everything we've come to expect. Well appointed, comfortable room (this time on the ground floor, with french window and patio area outside which, due to the weather, we sadly couldn't take much advantage of). Friendly, helpful and interested staff. Delicious, perfectly cooked food and well-matched wines.

The added extra this time the fact that Northcote had picked up that it was my wife's birthday, and added several little touches---a "birthday card" in our welcome pack; petits fours presented on a plate with "Happy Birthday" piped in chocolate.

As we said when we were leaving, we're likely to be back later in the year for my own 50th.

Thanks to all at Northcote.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for choosing Northcote for your Wifes recent 50th Birthday Celebrations.

We are very grateful for you comments which touch on the standard of our rooms, standard of service and the little extra touches which you have enjoyed over your many visits to us.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Northcote for your forthcoming 50th Birthday.
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I had a birthday treat today at Northcote with my partner and two children and can honestly say it was exceptional! Not only was the food outstanding, but the attentive service was simply brilliant. There was a slight mix up with my starter but this was dealt with swiftly and they were very apologetic. Nice touches were signed chefs' hats for my two children (aged 9 and 4) and the attention they received from the staff. I was concerned they may have overlooked the children, but not at all!! They received the same service as everyone else, if not better! Northcote itself is very quaint and not at all stuffy, as I had hoped it wouldn't be. The dining room is quite up to date and the crockery/cutlery is quite contemporary. We had the Sunday lunch menu at £36 a head and I felt we got great value. I left very full and happy! The onion soup was excellent and I can highly recommend the mackerel starter. We were also surprised by the bill when the children's meals were charged at half price even though they were essentially adult portions. A nice touch. Overall, I would highly recommend the restaurant. Great food and great,very professional staff who provided a lovely experience for my 40th birthday.

• Stayed May 2013
Craig_Bancroft, Owner at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to us here at Northcote.

Sunday lunch is always a great family tradition and we love to offer a relaxed family atmosphere where you are able to relax and spend time with your family.

We hope that the Children are still wearing their hats and maybe on your next visit they could meet Nigel or Lisa!

We very much look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our 4th Visit to Northcote and once again a lovely experience from start to finish. We were made welcome on our arrival and shown to our room, which was excellent. We had afternoon tea in the lounge area and were presented with a nice selection of sandwiches, scones and cakes. We were offered refills for our tea and coffee on more than one occassion. We were on the Gourmet break and really enjoyed the whole menu, but in particularly enjoyed the scallop dish. All the food was beautifully presented and each course was explained as it was served. We took the wine flight option and the sommelier gave us an excellent description of each wine and a good explanation as to how it matched the food. The overall experience at Northcote is excellent, great food, loverly rooms but what makes the experience for us is the staff. They are all professional, knowledgeable and friendly, nothing is too much trouble and this all makes for a nice relaxed atmosphere. I can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thankyou very much for your recent feedback with regards to your visit to us here at Northcote.

It is great to hear that you have enjoyed many previous visits and your recent visit was just as memorable.

Many thanks for the lovely comments, and I will ensure that they are passed onto the team.

We look forward to seeing you again.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Revisited Northcote Manor after my husband surprised me with a gourmet break after taking our daughter to the NW for her holiday flight. We were accommodated in a superior ground floor room with enormous en suite bathroom and our own outdoor seating area. We used this to good advantage as we were fortunate enough to have some sun on our visit.
The staff were incredibly attentive particularly topping up wine and water but without being obtrusive. The food was first class. Not a problem that I don't each scallops listed for the fish course.. I was given a vegetarian gourmet menu and allowed to substitute any dish from there to replace the fish course on the gourmet 5 course menu. I chose Banks tomato porridge which was delicious especially with the artisan home made breads. My favourite course was the main course of Aged Dexter Beef, Tartar Toast Oxtail and Stewed Mushrooms served with Gaufreete potatoes in a fancy paper basket. The whole expereince was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed it.
The choice at breakfast is vast and all cooked to order. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and management. I certainly would recommend and hope that we can return soon.

Room Tip: Stayed in both rooms 7 and 8. We preferred room 7 as more spacious and airy as the bathroom has two...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig_Bancroft, Owner at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
It's wonderful news that your accommodation and the food at Northcote was to your liking

I will pass on your feedback with regards to service within the restaurant and the hotel and ensure our staff receive your lovely comments .

Whether it's for another suprise weekend away or just to revisit the beautiful Ribble Valley I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

We hope your daughter enjoyed her holiday too!
bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at Northcote for my wife's 30th birthday. On arrival we were welcomed by Chris who showed us to our room (10). I must say his whole approach was incredibly professional and extremely accommodating and this carried through for the remainder of our stay. We booked in for the tasting menu which in my opinion is the best culinary experience of my life and we are both seasoned foodies. My wife is pregnant and to my surprise they had made note of this and adjusted the menu accordingly for her. The whole experience was amazing, the food, the service and the surroundings all surpassed our expectations. Breakfast the next day again was just as good. I had booked the Louis Roederer for our family to enjoy Sunday lunch with us and we couldn't have picked a better place. The room is of the highest order and again service etc. really did amaze our guests. I would like to thank Luke for what I can only describe as a 5 star performance in how to serve and make the diner feel at ease. He is probably the best I have ever come across and words cannot describe his whole professionalism. Northcote is not the cheapest place in the world, but I am a strong believer in you get what you pay for and with Northcote you really do. The whole weekend was fantastic and an experience I will cherish and I am sure my wife will too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Craig_Bancroft, Owner at Northcote Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to us at Northcot and many thanks for your comments which I will ensure are passed onto the whole team.

We would like to wish all the best with the arrival of your upcoming baby and we look forward to welcoming you all back very soon.

Been to Northcote Hotel? Share your experiences!