“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Blackburn Foxfields Country Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mercure Blackburn Foxfields Country Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Blackburn Foxfields Country Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whalley Road | Billington, Langho BB7 9HY, England (Formerly Foxfields Country Hotel & Suites)   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Langho
Los Angeles, California
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for Christmas 2007. It was a great price and the rooms are large with a bedroom and a suite (living area attached). The rooms were a little run down and needed TLC but for what we needed it was fine. The full English Breakfast was wonderful each day included in the price.

I would recommend it.

the place had a nice pool and gym area also.

I'm from this area originally and was visiting family. I don't think you would get a better deal elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple

331 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed there last week (July 7th - 11th) and read the reviews on this website the night before we were due to leave and we were left dreading what we were going to find on arrival.

However we were pleasantly surprised. Bear in mind we paid a paltry £130 each for a four night stay with dinner, bed breakfast and a packed lunch so we knew it wasn't going to be 5 star. But the staff were excellent (a special mention to the breakfast waitress Maria Galvin has to be made for her superb attention and speed) and whilst well aware of the problems the hotel faces in terms of needing refurbishment did everything they could to address any issues arising.

The rooms are huge, ours had a seperate lounge and a bathroom so big my husband didn't spot the shower cubicle at first! It could have been a bit cleaner e.g. the windowsill needed a wipe but it was comfortable. We felt it was big enough to be sold as a 1 person flat as there would even have been enough room in the living area to put in a small kitchen area.

I had huge trepidation about the food because I am the world's fussiest eater. However it was lovely and a highlight of the holiday for us. They are going for simple dishes of high quality so you are not left looking at the menu going 'what's that' but get exactly what it says you will get. But the quality of the food was high for example my husband got a steak that had no fat running through it all and the salmon I ordered just flaked to the touch.

Overall I would say this hotel offers good value for money and the opportunity to have a decent holiday with good food and friendly staff at a time when many of us are struggling to have a holiday at all!

• Liked — The quality of the food.
  • Disliked — Needs more investment from parent company to bring it up to scratch.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Battram,Leicestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Had a great three night barin break including all meals plus packed lunch. Myself, wife and her 16 year old daughter stayed in a suite, which has a double bed in the bedroom plus a made up makeshift bed in the lounge area. Not ideal as a pull out bed/sofa bed would have been more suitable. Overall the meals were very good, one evening fillet steak on the menu. French waiter was a waste of time though and the front desk can be hit or miss. If in doubt the cleaner tends to know and help if shes in the area.

Sports facitities are fine and few use them but the shame of it is the fact that the roof from the Reception to the dining area leaks so much that at least five buckets were used plus various towels to mop up . This must be having an impact on the fabric of the building which a large chain should be putting right.

If you get the special three night deal at £66 per night for the three of us ie £22 EACH ! then this was a great deal and well worth a punt for the evening meal alone. Enjoy

• Liked — Food, pool
  • Disliked — Reception when staffed and leaks to flat roof
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

Reading previous review, (June 30th) feel that it is slightly exaggerated - though I agree that French speaking waiter was difficult as he couldn't understand what we were ordering. All staff were very helpful when problems were pointed out to them (more mik and towels provided on request). Also noted that Vodka was not top brand! The photos are accurate though - we also had downpour, but the lakes were in public area, our room was dry and everything worked, though the furnishings were tired. We were on half-board basis and the food was excellent. We were also provided with a very good packed lunch. I would recommend this hotel, the location is excellent, very good pub within walking distance - and the price paid, does, as always reflect on what the Customer should expect.
I also had issues with cleanliness of Health/Leisure Centre, which had no attendant in place, but could have been really good, like the rest of the hotel, with some money spent on a complete refurb and repair.

• Liked — The location and the spacious suite
  • Disliked — Cleanliness issues in Leisure Centre
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

A colleague and myself stayed for 1 night on Thursday 26th June. What a dump, this is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review on anything.

I will attached the list of issues that I have sent in my letter of complaint to Choice Hotels (the Owner);

The Hotel has the look and feel of abandonment and that it has not been touched or maintained since it was built. My major criticisms are;
1.The exterior is falling apart, the render has come off in places
2.The step to get into the Hotel has dropped and formed a “lake”, as it was raining, there was no way to get in without getting feet wet.
3.The French receptionist’s English was so poor my colleague could not understand him.
4.The rooms smelt of smoke even though it was a non smoking hotel
5.The rooms whilst large looked very dated
6.The bathroom was dirty and in need of repair in places
7.The bath was chipped and looked dirty
8.The extractor fan in the bathroom was sooo noisy I was surprised that it didn’t wake the whole floor up
9.The furniture in the rooms were far from new and were about 5 years past there renewal date
10.One of the phones didn’t work
11.The lounge area was flooding due to holes in the ceiling, buckets and towels all over the place (please see photos)
12.We had a internal water feature, Waterfall down one of the walls (please see photo)
13.There had obviously been water issues before due to mould around the skirting boards (please see photo)
14.Vodka served was a brand I had never heard of (very cheap, reckon about £7-£8) and was being charged at £2.55 a shot…
15.Tonic water was £1.50 a shot, therefore when I ordered 2 double Vodka and Tonics my bill was £13.20 !!!!!!!! 5 Star prices in a 0 star hotel!
16.By the look of the Hotel and the way it had not been maintained we could not trust the cleanliness of the Kitchens so we got a cab to a local restaurant.
17.When I filled in my customer service form at the end, I noted my displeasure at the stay and the receptionist said “I don’t blame you”, they must feel embarrassed to work there.

I know the Hotel was cheap but you are seriously mis marketing it, you should put on your website that it is in need of modernization and refurbishment so us customers can make a decision as to whether the risk is worth it.

In summary, the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in many.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Langho hotels

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

Stayed here for three nights. We had two rooms with three of us visiting family in Lancs. Looked at the reviews and was a little unsure, but decided it looked ok. Booked up all went well until we arrived and there was a room mix up. My room was ok but the other was already occupied! Was sorted out after a while.

Although a little tired in parts and in need of a lick of paint here and there, this hotel is very good value. You get a huge bedroom with sitting room, two tellys, tea making facilities etc etc. The breakfasts are pretty good and the dinner we had one night was very nice. The restaurant was not busy for a Friday night and so lacked a bit of atmosphere, but the food and décor was fine.

The place grew on us and by the end of the three days we really enjoyed staying there.Huge car park and a good location to get around.

I think compared to some hotels the staff are a bit laid back, perhaps a little too much so and the initial welcome could have been warmer. But the staff are nice once you get talking to them. However, the hotel could really do much better if it simply upped the ante on service, being more attentive to guests especially in reception. After all, a hotel exists only if it has customers. I have been in the service business 34 yrs.
Would we stay again? Yes for sure, its good value, very spacious you can chill out and the hotel is well placed.

Stayed May 2008
Merseyside
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

We stayed for the bank holiday weekend - very good value deal on hotel website ( no breakfast) . Nice ,clean ,spacious room , enjoyed leisure facilities , staff pleasant . Our experience was good ( though would not recommend restaurant ) but from booking in to leaving , witnessed 6 different unhappy guests complaints !!!! Made us think of Fawlty Towers.
On arrival waited while guests referred to hotel next door due to overbooking , one had to leave key at desk , as no spare, in restaurant heard comments re Is this rice boil in the bag ? My chickens been crucified ! My husbands curry tasted like it was cooked in a burnt pan . ( and there were only 4 tables in - Saturday night )
On leaving guests ahead of us had been sent to hotel next door due to over booking . On return room was not ready , dirty towels on floor , no toilet paper .

We would go again , as special offer was such good value but would cross our fingers that we would be the lucky ones again .

• Liked — spacious room , very quiet , nice pool , spa
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mercure Blackburn Foxfields Country Hotel? Share your experiences!