“Last visit” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Last visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This place was my number one choice when it first opened, I have now had 3 disappointing experiences and will not be going again, I don't run a restaurant but I know when a place it's under staffed and this place is just that. The landlady was rushed of her feet doing the bar and taking orders while serving and all of this on a Saturday night. Booked a table for 5 people for 7 at night, we were just getting up to leave at 7 45 when the landlady said she had to wait for our table to become free. This was not true because when I first arrived I had a look in the area we had booked and most of the tables were empty as there were when we went in to sit down.
The food was average, no different to a chain eatery, which is where I would choose over this place in future.
Not a happy place to go or work by the look of things.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Lancashire
“Best fillet steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My first visit here today for lunch with a friend. We planned on going to the strawberry duck but after looking at the menus decided to try here as ive been to strawberry duck before..... which doesnt have a menu like here and I Thought to be pricey!
Anyway here my first impression when arriving it looks a bit tatty and run down could do with a bit of touch up very traditional but was really cosy with log fire on. I Had the lunch special i chose soup for starters then fillet steak....gorgeous! served with salad onion rings and new potatoes plenty of food and very good value. And squeezed a coffee in!

I would go again to take my husband as he loves steak and would enjoy the value for money!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lancashire
“Superb value serving superb quality food in a friendly traditional welcoming pub.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten fillet steak in numerous upmarket restaurants, and I have to say the quality of the fillet steak served here is fabulous, easily comparable to an expensive restaurant any day!
And not only do you get quality, you get quality at a bargain basement price- Steak night is on a Monday and Friday, two courses for £10.95. I always pay the supplement of an additional £3 and opt for the fillet with pepper sauce. Delicious!
Mo the owner always cooks my steak and always delivers! Mo also makes the 'Crown & Thistle' delux ice-cream, blackcurrent being my favourite!
You can't beat this beautiful traditional English pub with its real fires, exceptional value for money food ( please try the fillet steak with pepper sauce) and lovely friendly owners, it's a family run pub that greets you in a welcome family way.
I can't recommend it more highly.
(A fillet steak and blackcurrent ice-cream, Crown & Thistle' fan.)

Darwen, United Kingdom
“Fab food great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Couldn't be more helpful,fantastic food, fab service. Best meal in a long time time , lovely pub on The moors, warm friendly service, great atmosphere .

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The best pub food in the land”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I have been here many times and they never fail to impress, I love the food, the service, just about everything. Recommend it to everybody. yum yum :-)