“Food good but a bit slow on service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mitton Hall

You added Mitton Hall to your Saves list
Mitton Hall
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Near Whalley | Mitton Road, Clitheroe BB7 9PQ, England   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Clitheroe B&B and Inns
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Food good but a bit slow on service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Visited Mitton Hall on Saturday evening with two friends for a meal. Although we had booked for 8-15 it was probably 25 minutes later before our order was taken, then it took another 25 minutes for the starter to arrive. I hate being rushed when eating, but there is a fine balance, in any case the restaurant wasn`t full so no excuses there.

That said, when the food did arrive it was good, a nice triple salmon for me and very good soup for one other, with a slate of bread rolls, olives, balsamic, etc very nice in deed. The rib eye steak was again good, cooked as requested, and my wife`s duck was excellent, all very tasty and well presented. Staff were attentive and very pleasant, despite the long wait between ordering and delivery.

Overall we enjoyed the meal and our evening, just a tadge on the slow side. Surroundings and overall ambiance very tasteful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I can’t recommend Mitton Hall highly enough for a wedding, birthday or any special occasion. My wife and I had our wedding reception here in 2009 and have visited for romantic meals/anniversaries ever since. This venue is special in regard to the luxury service that is offered at every turn, whether you are getting married or just enjoying a bar meal by the fire. What sets the venue apart from others in the area is such quality and attention to detail is provided without pretension or snobbery, which we experienced at many of the others whilst searching for the perfect place to hold our reception.

I will begin with the reception itself, which was magical in every way. On arriving at the venue we were greeted by our very own personal service, a true gentlemen who reacted to our every want and need for the best part of the reception. Seriously, If our drink came even close to empty, he appeared with a new one and bent over backwards to make sure we had enjoyed the food. My wife struggled to eat during such an exciting and emotional day so he organised for food to be waiting in our room when the evening drew to a close. A true professional, who knew what we needed and wanted before we even did. The food was amazing and beautifully presented for us and our guests all shared our extremely high opinion of the quality, service and attention to detail. A magical day, which could not have been done better.

We stayed in the King’s Suite, which is decorated adequately and furnished with an amazing bed and bathroom facility. The room looked out onto the garden terrace and the beautiful east Lancashire countryside beyond, which made for a perfect greeting to our first day as a married couple. The rooms have since been updated to truly reflect the quality facility available in other aspects of the hotel, so the weakest area of the hotel, which was pretty good anyway should now carry the ‘wow factor’ as well.

Since celebrating our marriage, we have visited numerous times and never been disappointed. Our most recent visit was on our 4th wedding anniversary and upon learning this was the case, a very polite and professional lady with blonde hair (didn’t catch her name) served us once again like king and queen. We were given a complimentary seasonal cocktail, provided on a slate which had happy anniversary written on and a selection of seasonal berries to complement our free cocktails. She made a very special occasion into something magical and deserves high credit for her high standard of service. Once again the food was as brilliant as the service, so give Mitton Hall serious consideration for any special occasion as they will never let you down!

Room Tip: Our guests recommended all rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Warton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I came with my fiancee last Monday night for her birthday. we stay in the king Suite then the Mitton Suite due to a faulty radiator(it happens). we had a meal in the restaurant from the TDH menu.
I can honestly say that we had a fab time. we were greeted by a young receptionist shy but not shy of a smile. Robin and Harry looked after us and they were attentive, Robin is full of live with a great smile and Harry is a very funny character who put you at ease straight away.

the food was superb and the glass of champagne that comes with Table d'hote menu made the occasion even more special.
after our desserts, we went to seat by the fire and they brought us two champagne cocktails with chocolate covered strawberries and an happy birthday message on the slate....what can I say!!!!

we had a great time and I cannot wait to come back.

thank you.

Olivier and Alena.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a friends wedding at Mitton Hall.
What a stunning venue. The hotel has such a lovely atmosphere. It is very dark and medieval looking in the reception/ lobby which makes it feel very grand! The room where the wedding reception was was the opposite lovely and bright (quite modern yet they have managed to keep the overall feel of the hotel with chairs/ pillars etc)
We stayed in a standard room but saw a few suites and upgraded rooms are definitely worth paying the extra!
The grounds of the hotel are lovely with a terrace patio area at the back.
The ex military master of ceremonies was fantastic! Great to have someone with a bit of character. All the staff were lovely and made everyone feel welcome. The food was great also - only silly comment I would say is maybe when serving veg with the main course have 2 bowls rather than a large one as it takes forever to pass round especially when you're sat with greedy guys - like I was!! Ha.
I would highly recommend Mitton Hall.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I recently came in a large party for a birthday meal, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left the experience was faultless. Each member of staff were polite and courteous even going as far to go through the menu with a fine tooth comb to explain food allergens.
The most impressive aspect of the venue was the atmosphere, from the main hall to the bar and restaurant it was a lovely experience throughout. Will definitely returning when in Whalley again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My family and I were at Mitton hall yesterday and were extremely disappointed at the poor quality of the main courses served. Most people had the steak as the menu choice we were offered was very limited despite the fact there was an additional menu on line we were only allowed the private dining menu and we all had to pre- order 2 weeks ago. The quality of the rib was terrible I sent my first one back as it was slimy and the second one was over cooked and inedible and I couldn't eat it. Everyone who had steak described it as poor and inedible but didn't return it to prevent upsetting my sister who had arranged the gathering for my step- mother. Mine was in fact deducted from the final bill. No steak knives were offered and when I did manage to obtain one however i realised it was the only possible way to cut the meat as it was so tough! Other guest asked for steak knives to be told there were only 3 available as the chef believed 'his steaks didn't need them'; What utter nonsense!!! The presentation was poor and some people had bowls of chips and others had 9 chips on a stack! The price - £19!!
The starters and the desserts were lovely however I suggest two things - a change of butcher and the chef has a refresher in cooking a rib eye steak as my 12 year old son can cook a better one.

On a positive note the staff were lovely.

• Stayed September 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Attended a wedding 06/09/13. Lovely hotel. Staff were excellent throughout the day Food was good. Room was excellent and breakfast very nice.Drinks were also pretty fare priced which is a nice change for a wedding hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mitton Hall? Share your experiences!