“sad end to a once great family venue” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, English, Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Chorley, United Kingdom
“sad end to a once great family venue”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I visited the ley inn on saturday 4th may for what was hopefully going to be a pleasant meal with friends .
What a shock to see bouncers on the door at the ley inn , from that moment we felt intimidated , on entrance into the pub though what a transformation a great deal of thought as gone into this project .
We decided to have a drink 2 staropramens and two halves of lager 12 pound something , i didnt realise we were in london .
whilst having a drink we glanced through the menu and were shocked to see some items doubled in price since we last came in march.
This is were our evening at the leyinn ended , we swifly caught a taxi to a local pub close to botany bay and dined on the two steaks and a bottle of wine menu for 12.99 per couple .
Please new owners look at your pricing its ridiculous for a pub.

“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Just had a meal at the newly refurbished Ley Inn, a very average meal at above average prices. Very disappointed, will not be going back.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“dissapointing !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

my wife and i ( along with friends and family) have been visiting the ley inn for many years now and always enjoyed the plesant atmosphere and friendly service , and always found the prices very acceptable. since the recent take over of the restraunt and its refurbishment we have fund the atmosphere not as welcoming and friendly as it used to be but importantly we found the prices to have risen unacceptably , not only the food but the prices of drinks (eg. £15.00 for a bottle of wine ) im afraid we will not be visiting here again

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Sad end to what used to be a friendly pub”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

What a shame!!
I first visited the Ley inn 33 years ago when I moved into the area.
It has had a rocky history and as the pub trade suffered with the financial depression it deteriorated further.
Despite this I have been eating my Sunday evening meal there regularly and enjoying a pint or two of real ale on Wednesday quiz night
When I heard that the pub was to be refurbished I looked forward to a return to it's days of glory.
Imagine my surprise on visiting it on the opening weekend to be totally underwhelmed!!
The first impression I got was good. The refurbished restaurant area looked clean but a little austere. The new furniture was a complete change but not necessarily for the better.
This became more apparent after waiting for over an hour for our meal whilst sitting on an extremely uncomfortable chair. The waiting was not alleviated by the fact that the Sunbeam real ale I had grown fond of over the years was no longer available. My other tipple, lager, was only available as Fosters or Carling. I chose Fosters with my companions. This proved an unfortunate option as it was totally flat within minutes of reaching the table. (Our second pint, Carling, of course was however better)
Now to the food!!
I read the menu with horror. Despite other reviewers appreciation of the "improved" quality of the cooking I found it totally disappointing.
The menu was considerably reduced in options but NOT in price which I conservatoryly guess to have increased by 20%
When the food eventually arrived it too was a disappointment.
My £9.90 half pound hamburger was tasty itself but was accompanied by two lettuce leaves half a cherry tomato and a mug containing French fries. Our local MacDonalds would have undercut it by 60% and made a better job but obviously in less favourable suroundings.
Two of my companions chose the Sunday lunch of carved beef and they too were disappointed by the amount of fat and gristle they had to leave unbeaten.
My final companion not being hungry chose the children's chicken and French fries. A good job she wasn't hungry as the chicken was very dry and ended up as the dog's supper when she returned home.
Needless to say things could only get better but none of my companions will take the trouble to hang around until it does.
A final word to any one seeking a quiet midweek pint, look elsewhere !!
The new owners obviously wish to encourage diners, well at least those with a fat wallet and a liking for French fries served in jugs. Definitely not me,,,,

“Ok but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

After being regular customers at the old Ley Inn we were looking forward to trying the place after the big refurb and change of hands. The old place certainly needed a facelift, which the new owners have provided, but unfortunately I left feeling a little underwhelmed.
Although the interior looks much better, there were a few hitches, with quite a few of the main courses and beers being unavailable. The service was friendly but a bit slow. We had to wait the best part of an hour to get our main course....and the place certainly wasn't busy. To be honest though, all this could be put down to the fact it was the end of a busy opening weekend, but one issue that can't is the pricing.
With fish and chips costing over £12 and a pint of lager £4:20 it certainly ain't cheap. The food was nice enough but certainly not worthy of the price tag.
To put it bluntly - if you want to pay £12 for your main there are better places you could go. It'll be interesting to see how long the new owners stick with the current pricing structure. Personally I would say "nice pub but need to rethink the prices".