“Relaxing Break” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whalley Road, Clayton le Moors BB5 5RP, England   |
Wild North East
“Relaxing Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights B&B to enable us to visit family in nearby Great Harwood.

This is a beautiful old building with tremendous character. We were very warmly welcomed and shown to our room - 22 - on the first floor. This was an enormous room at the front of the building overlooking the lawned front area which has massive mature trees. Very pleasant indeed. Three of us were sharing the room, so it had a double bed, a double sofa bed, and a single Put-U-Up bed, and still room to have a dance. There was a very clean en-suite at the back of the room with a shower over the bath. Although it was an electric shower, it was a bit temperamental temperature-wise.

Breakfast is served in a lovely sunny room at the front of the house, and quite frankly it was the best full English that I`ve ever had. The sausages were gorgeous. There was a very good selection of both hot and cold items, and fantastic service.

We ate both nights in-house in the breakfast room, although it`s also possible to eat in the bar. The menus was very good and reasonably priced, although we seemed to be the only people eating there.

Pros: Very warm welcome and helpful advice
Lovely large room and comfortable bed

Cons: The carpet in room 22 needed cleaning.
There were a few light bulbs which needed replacing, or which were the wrong size for
the lamps. Fussy I know, but it`s the little things that can make a place look so much
better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front. Although Whalley Road is quite noisy, that is the sunny side of the hou...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sparth House H, Owner at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Dear Murray Family,

Thank you for your kind review and it was a pleasure to meet you all, especially after the tribute to Justin Bieber!!
Thank you for your comments about the food in the hotel, we have taken on a new Head Chef so working on all the menus. I must admit I am quite partial to the Full English as well!
I have taken your comments on board regarding the light bulbs and the carpet, these have been actioned, thank you for bringing them to my attention.
Many thanks once again and we hope to see you soon at Sparth House Hotel.

Nigel, Owner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Well what can we say. Booked our wedding in November 2013 and got married on Saturday. Lesley Anne the wedding co ordinator amongst other titles was a god send. Didn't matter when or how we contacted her she was there with a response within hours. The wedding was magical and Lesley Anne was responsible. I spoke to her on many occasions and she was always there for us. The food venue decor and everything was second to non. If your planning a wedding then look no further. My family who travelled over 100 miles couldn't speak highly enough. Thank u so much Mr & Mrs Tomlinson

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
To the new Mr & Mrs Tomlinson,

Thank you so much for your kind reviews and the family from Mold were extremely generous about the food and service. This was especially pleasing as it was the first time my daughter served a wedding and she was delighted to read your review.
Lesley-Anne or LA as we affectionately call her was born to do Weddings, I have also passed your comments on to all involved.

Thank you for your kind offer to join you later on but we had our own celebration with GCSE and Alevel results.

We wish you all the best in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to Sparth House Hotel very soon.

Nigel, Owner.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The Sparth House is a lovely hotel the décor is nice and it has a great atmosphere. The real issue is the staff and the bar prices. We were there on Saturday night, the staff behind the bar were rude to say the least and one of the bar staff was petulant and surly. One man collecting glasses really looked like he didn't want to be at work and made sure we knew it! To top of the rudeness of the staff the bar prices were higher than Manchester City Centre. 2 beers one white wine and one short and mixer £21!!!! When I asked him to check the prices the bar man said rudely - if you aren't happy you can tell the boss. I saw the groom at the wedding short changed - I saw it - the groom challenged the bar man on it and the bar man said - I'm not checking mate you didn't give me a tenner! The GROOM for goodness sake. I was shocked by the costs and the rudeness and it really spoilt a good night. False economy. I have rarely come away from a wedding without having a good few drinks - two rounds and I was not putting any more cash behind their tills. Sorry guys - sort out the customer service and sort out the costs!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Sparth House H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review. I am extremely disappointed and shocked at your comments regarding the staff as we always receive such fantastic feedback about them. All our staff are fully trained within their departments of work and therefore would not overcharge guests, Should any queries arise regarding any issues within the hotel a Manager is always on duty to resolve these.
There were two Managers on duty that evening who were more than approachable to discuss your above comments with, I only wish you had given us the opportunity to rectify your concerns whilst visiting the hotel as this could of easily been addressed.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff who were always ready to accommodate our needs - including our dog Mabel. We stayed here for four nights as we were visiting family. We were moved after the first night from a lovely room to a bigger room - both were nice although preferred decor in the first room. The second room made us feel like we were in an episode of Sherlock Holmes - but thats not always a bad thing. The move of rooms was done with swift efficiency and our suitcases were there when we came back to the hotel on Saturday evening. The breakfast was lovely - full english, cereal/porridge and pastries. We were told breakfast was served at 7:00am on Saturday morning but it wasn't - it was 8:00am. We had to be somewhere at 8:00 but the member of staff on duty gave us the option of cereal but no cooked breakfast. We also took the family here for Sunday lunch on the Sunday. The hotel had a problem with the drains - we received a phone call to see if we wanted the lunch to go ahead - again very efficient. We decided we wanted to go ahead. The food was great and well prepared although there were a few disappointments with items being unavailable on the menu. No problems from the drains at all! All in all a "very good" stay despite slight issues with menu and breakfast on the first day. Also wifi is intermittent but I think that may have been our room position in the hotel. Thanks for being very accommodating!

Room Tip: Room 26 is lovely. Room 22 is a must if you have a doggy!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sparth House H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us whilst visiting family in the area and thank you for your excellent feedback. unfortunately during your stay we did have a problem with our drains and we thank you for being understanding with this matter. I am also delighted to hear that your family lunch was successful.
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Where can I start well the wedding organiser Leslie Anne was just the best she made our day so special we could not thank her enough and the staff were amazing and the chef was just awesome I really can't say anymore apart from what a amazing job will recommend to all my friends who want to tie the knot and live happily ever after like me and my new wife thanks again you were all the bees knees xx

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your fantastic review, we are delighted to hear that your Wedding was as perfect for you as you had hoped. Congratulations to you both from all the team at Sparth House and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

On the positive side, this looks to be a decent venue for a wedding etc., with good function rooms and bar area. We were a little disappointed with the room however which was comfortable enough but really needed a bit of tlc. It had some tea / coffee making facilities but no kettle to be found. The only window was in the ceiling above the bed and when I opened it the frame was full of cobwebs and a little bit grim. We also found the service to be a little abrupt to be honest! So we wouldn't have felt comfortable giving direct feedback. This was fine to stay in for a night and the price was reasonable, but I couldn't honestly recommend it here. I'm quite surprised to see such overwhelmingly positive reviews so it's seems we had an unusually poor experience by comparison to other travellers.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sparth House H, Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write your review at Sparth house will value all feedback whether it be negative or positive. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us and only wish you had given us the opportunity to rectify this upon check out by voicing your concerns then. The booking was made for a standard room although they do not have a wall window which is stating by most of our booking agents and also when booking direct at the hotel, we feel these rooms represent value for money but if available we do upgrade guests to an Executive room free of charge, unfortunately on this occasion all our Executive rooms where fully booked.
I am disappointed to hear that you felt the staff were abrupt with you as we always receive outstanding comments for our friendly service and staff. I can assure you that all your comments have been noted and that relevant action will be taken where needed, however should you wish to discuss this matter with me further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel on 01254872263.

Regards

Lesley-Anne Stevens
Hotel Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We booked our wedding at sparth house ten months ago with Leslie-ann who is an absolute asset to sparth, no matter how many times i changed numbers, added then changed arrangements time and time again nothing was to much and I mean to much, I even cancelled a room 2 days before the wedding and the staff were still very accommodating and reassuring at every stage.
I had a room booked the night before the wedding with my bridesmaids, we were made to feel very welcome, even finding a fan for us because it was to warm. Excellent service again nothing was to much, there was a prom on the eve of our wedding in the Alexandra suite were we were having our wedding breakfast which ment that Leslie-ann stayed until after half one in the morning turning the room around ready for us and she was back at seven that morning serving our breakfast that morning Leslie-ann was a god send checked on us all the time to make sure we were all ok, asked if we needed anything,she even offered to help take my cake to my evening venue as we were struggling to do it,which she did for us. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished and I have to say it's looking very nice, nice and fresh looking when you walk in
The room we stayed in was clean very spacious and welcoming,
The breakfast on both days were fab, especially the sausages,of good quality and that makes a breakfast for us. The wedding meal was beautiful, so credit to the chef good portion size too, plenty of waiting on staff which ment no one was waiting long for their meals very officiant and polite. Damien was also working on our wedding day who is another credit to sparth house, very helpful and accommodating to our every need. All in all we had an amazing experience and would highly recommend sparth house for any party venue a☆☆☆☆
Thank you to all the staff st sparth house

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sparth House H, Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your fantastic review, here at Sparth House we strive on making our Weddings the best they can be and we are delighted that yours was perfect for you. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Been to Sparth House Hotel? Share your experiences!