“Lovely building, great staff and fantastic steaks” 5 of 5 stars

You added Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blackburn Road, Clayton le Moors BB5 5JP, England   |
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely building, great staff and fantastic steaks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I've stayed here on a number of occasions, once for 5 weeks Monday to Friday, with my latest stay for 2 nights this week - end February 2014.
The staff are all very efficient and courteous at all times and will stop for a chat if they see you sitting alone in the bar area. I really feel at home when I'm there now as I know some of the staff by name and they always have time to ask how I am and how my job is going.
I've stayed in the executive rooms and the standard rooms and there really isn't much difference other than the wifi connection and a few little extras. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are all a good size some even have 3 seat couches and armchairs.
The building and the grounds are very well kept.
The menu in the restaurant is excellent and the rib eye steaks are the best that I've had anywhere and I stay in a different hotel most weeks and eat out frequently.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room here
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I hope that we will be seeing you again in the near future
Ivan Lynch General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Chorley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We arrived as the paperwork stated to check in for 14.00, we were told that was incorrect and that check in was 15.00, we were told it was the Mecure standard (several times by different people) and that this hotel was different. Our room was still not ready by 15.00 and eventually at 15.20 we were allocated another room. The reception staff were not particularly concerned and couldn't have shrugged their shoulders more!
We went to our room and got changed to go and enjoy the spa facilities, we were not given the promised gown and slippers and were dismayed by the number of children that were splashing around and screaming in the pool.
The showers in the thermal suite didn't work, the area was cramped and did not offer the usual choice of waters and fruit juices that you would expect.

In general the restaurant was very good, the food was enjoyable however we and other couples were sat for a very long time waiting for our main course plates to be taken away.
The next morning we returned to the spa to find children on most of the loungers around the pool and there was the same level of noise. There was what was suppose to be a quite area between the pool and the thermal suite but this was also frequented by children.

We had booked treatments, I paid for 3 altogether, the second was a two part treatment which I chose at the reception area. There was some confusion and I missed out one of the treatments, we did not want to stand and argue about it and left, I was also not given the advertised free gift. We then discovered that the check out time was 11.00 not 12.00 as stated. Definitely not what we had expected.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am sorry that there were problems experienced during your stay. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I will follow up your comments with the team and try to make improvements where necessary.

Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with husband, daughter and 3 grandsons. Reception very efficient and professional. Also we needed an extra bed in room, our error, and it was dealt with very quickly. Breakfast great on both mornings, had freshly cooked haddock and poached egg, lovely.... Staff friendly and great with the kids
Went swimming and water was perfect temperature for the kids, especially the baby. Kids thoroughly enjoyed.
Checkout was easy, bill correct.

Overall great experience and will return

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I was pleased to hear that your experience was a wholly positive one. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

me and my two daughters came for a spa day on 20th feb we had a lovley day all the staff were fantastic also we had cakes with the spa day which were good would like to say a big thank you to the dunkenhalgh and all the staff mrs pritchard

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I really hope we will be welcoming you back to the Dunkenhalgh in the future
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have just returned from a lovely two night stay at the Dunkenhalgh with my two children. From arrival and throughout our stay the staff were friendly welcoming and professional. The pool was warm and staff helpful. We enjoyed far too much breakfast served in the stylish restaurant after a peaceful nights sleep in a large, clean well presented room. We will visit again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. Your comments are very much appreciated and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon
Hexham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here for just one night while visiting friends. On arrival the hotel looks impressive, but as you get to the room - they are just very average, quite clean and the bathroom is nice and modern. Bed and covers are good quality. Quite alot of noise from room next door, I don't think they were being loud - just the sound travelled. Room service was acceptable too. We had a very nice breakfast - but found it hard to eat in there for long as the room was so hot!

My only big disappointment was at the pool, we went in the morning and were a bit shocked as the pool was being taken over by elderly people attending an exercise class, the pool was closed off and only had one small lane open, and the jacuzzi had been turned off too! Then to my complete amazement the exercise instructor came over to some ladies who were just chilling out in the 'turned off Jacuzzi' - and she very rudely told them they shouldn't be in there and to be quiet!!! - I couldn't believe it - they weren't even being noisy either!! these ladies had obviously spent good money paying for a spa-day and were quite entitled to enjoy the facilities just as much as anyone else!! This fitness instructor needs speaking to about her rude attitude and the hotel should think twice about renting their pool out for extra lessons etc. It also wasn't much fun for my daughter to visit the pool and have only one small lane to swim in and be quiet!!! And I have never seen such a miserable looking fitness instructor either - she reminded me of my old strict school PE teacher!!!

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I will be following up your comments with our Spa Management tea. I am sorry that this issue had a negative impact on your stay. Please trust I am in the process of resolving
Falmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

On arrival this looks a stunning hotel. Grand building and a nice long driveway so you'r setback from the road.

My room, in the old part of the house was very pleasent. High ceilings, big windows, good sized bath & shower room. A nice comfortable bed.

The only down side as I was to find out later was the adjoining door to the next room.

The food in the resteraunt looked pricey so I opted for a bar snack which in itself was a reasonable price. I had a carbonara which came with a poached egg. Sadly the poached egg hadn't been cooked quite long enough and was a little slimey.

Retiring to my room to relax and get a good nights sleep before an early start the next day I decided to do some bits of work I had to catch up on. The internet connection worked fine and about 15 minutes into my work I heard a rattling fromthe adjoining door. Obviously the couple (as was made clear later) had tried the door maybe thinking it was another room of theirs. Fortunately there was a bolt on my side which was shut.

They then decided to plug their mp3 player into the tv and play some music. I must be honest and was pleased to hear some decent music, however I could hear it as if I was in the same room as the player.

Gicing them the benefit of the doubt I finished my work and decided to turn in early. I know 9pm is a sad time for someone my age to go to bed but as I mentioned I had an early start the next morning.

So, being serenaded by the strains of their music I tried to go to sleep.

It was at this point the couple decided to get amourous. I can only hope they were married however for reasons that will become clear I doubt it.

I expected a quick show due to the levels of grunting, groaning and high pitched whimpering coming from the through door and was pleasently surprised when after about 10 minutes they seemed to have finished. They then started a loud discussion over where to book some time away whilst looking through holiday locations on the internet.

A short while later they commenced round two.....

Once again, there was an assortmant of noises and after about another 10 minutes, satisfaction seemed to have been achieved. Shortly after this one of their mobiles rang and the woman answered it. There then followed a 5 minute conversation with someone who I assume to be her husband on the other end. I heard about her three kids and that they'd had a good day at school, the dog had been sick (lucky people) and that she would be home at the end of the next day as she said goodnight and told him she loved him.

Well, this routine of chatting and sex then proceeded to carry on for some time. and come 1am, yes folks, a full four hours after starting, I had had enough even though it seemed that they hadn't.

Rather than confronting them directly, who am I to risk a punch in the face from an irrate Don Juan, I went to reception and rang the duty manager. This wasn't possible from my room as I mentioned you could here everything that was going on in the next room through the door.

Now don't get me wrong. I admire their stamina and fortitude but please, I needed to get some sleep.

The duty manager, kindly left it a couple of minutes for me to get back to my room undetected before arriving at their door. I heard a knock and a muffled "who is it".

On announcing it was the duty manager he was greated but a "just minute" thenI heard some frantic scrambling from the next room, the music was turned down and hushed whispers of "where's my pants" and "coming" which I considered apt in the situation, the door was opened and they were asked to keep the noise down.

No specifics were mentioned but needless to say they must have got the message as once the door was shut the music was turned off and they appeared to go to bed. As did I turn finally get a few hours peaceful sleep.

Now you may ask, "why didn't you complain earlier" well as I said there were lulls that I thought were the end but alas I was wrong each time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I was disappinted to hear that you were not completely satisfied. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. We cannot be held responsible for what goes on in the room next door, but it should be appopriately sound proofed. I will have some attention paid to all the inter-connecting rooms
Ivan Lynch

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!